Board index Equipment Scanners Canon Canoscan 9900f scanning negatives

Scanners

Canon Canoscan 9900f scanning negatives

lsdinc

Canon Canoscan 9900f scanning negatives

Post Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:28 pm

Hi all,
I have been using the canoscan for a while and it works well on everything except negatives.
When I scan in negatives they are very bad quality scans, the colour is all wrong with a totaly blue hue and they are quite pixelated aswell. I have tried all the settings I can see to improve the quality.
I have inherited this machine so I dont know what may have been done to it before. Is there a way to reset it to factory settings are is there a setting I cant find? Could it be a bulb problem in hood?
Any advice would be great as I have only read good reviews of this scanner but it is useless for negatives at moment and I need that function.
Thanks in advance
Les

wolfeye

Re: Canon Canoscan 9900f scanning negatives

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Try using VueScan. The program has profiles for many negative emulsions and more are planned to be added. It sure beats the software that comes with the scanner. In tests that I've run, the negative scanning is far superior to anything else out there.

http://www.hamrick.com/

gummyb

Post Mon Dec 25, 2006 5:45 pm

Mine's not acceptable either. I've almost decided to buy a Nikon scanner.

jpbeale

Re: Canon Canoscan 9900f scanning negatives

Post Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:00 am

My 9900f has been just fine scanning 35mm, 200 ASA film negatives. I used the provided drivers under WinXP, scanning into Photoshop. I normally use this scanner only for prints, but tried the negative feature after a local film store did a neg. scan for me that was oversharpened with noisy shadows. I don't know what machine they used, but my 9900f did a much better job on the same negative.

Board index Equipment Scanners Canon Canoscan 9900f scanning negatives