Board index Equipment Scanners Help with 35m slides to digital

Scanners

Help with 35m slides to digital

dalejohn49

Help with 35m slides to digital

Post Thu Jul 20, 2006 2:05 pm

I've been spending a lot of time trying to scan slides using my Epson 3170 photo flatbed scanner. I'm not happy with the results I'm getting...poor skin tones and too soft.

Can someone recommend a place to send them for professionaly conversion to digital?

Anyone have advice for post-scanning editing using software programs?

[url]Image[/url]

road_runner

Post Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:23 pm

You could try to give the images some boost using "Levels" adjustment in Photoshop Elements 3. Also apply their "Color Adjustment" for Color Saturation and Hue Adjustment.

It costs less thatn full blown Photoshop - $99 vs. $600.

road_runner

mesullivan

Post Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:40 pm

I don't know about the epson but my canoscan 9950F is like a different piece of equipment with the silverfast software. It's a huge difference. I've been using the trial version and finally have learned enough about it to purchase it. I think I'll post some examples to my inbox.

gina_dl

shoot with digital camera

Post Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:47 am

Hi,

I have boxes of slides too I'd like to scan. I tried a different approach though : shot them with my canon g3 with close-up filter.

I use an old shop sign - milk glass with tl-lamps inside - put a black carton on top with just a hole the size of the slide and put the slide on that.
I shoot them in Raw mode - on a tripod - make a custom white balance - bracket two exposures for the higher dynamic range of the slides - voila. Works pretty good. Still a lot of work afterward though - converting the raw files and combining the bracketed shots.

greets

gina

gummyb

Post Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:53 pm

mesullivan wrote:I don't know about the epson but my canoscan 9950F is like a different piece of equipment with the silverfast software. It's a huge difference. I've been using the trial version and finally have learned enough about it to purchase it. I think I'll post some examples to my inbox.

Hmm...I have that same CanoScan, but I'm not happy with the results. The scans that I get from my ancient Minolta Dual Scan (1200dpi) is much better. I think no flatbed can compare with the scans from a film scanner.

mesullivan

Post Tue Oct 03, 2006 11:08 pm

I have found the canon software is better for color negatives that need some work. Everything else looks 10 times better with silverfast.

http://www.pbase.com/mesullivan/muscle_cars

are mostly scans of slides and most of them as I was learning to scan. These are very very low resolution versions of the original scan and still look pretty good. The originals are astounding in their detail and color saturation and make very very good prints.

gummyb

Post Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:25 pm

What DPI do you scan them at? I've tried 1600 and 3200 but they are worst that my ancient minolta at 1200. If I can get good archival type scan from my canon flatbed it'll save me some money from having the need to get a nikon coolscan v.

mesullivan

Post Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:45 pm

I can negatives with the output at print size at 300 or 400 dpi when using the canon software.

With the silverfast, I scan at 4800 and sometimes at 2 scans it combines then resize it to print size. If the dpi will be too low I upsize with interpolation (resample).

kanae

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:38 pm

gummyb wrote:
mesullivan wrote:I don't know about the epson but my canoscan 9950F is like a different piece of equipment with the silverfast software. It's a huge difference. I've been using the trial version and finally have learned enough about it to purchase it. I think I'll post some examples to my inbox.

Hmm...I have that same CanoScan, but I'm not happy with the results. The scans that I get from my ancient Minolta Dual Scan (1200dpi) is much better. I think no flatbed can compare with the scans from a film scanner.

I have Minolta Dimage Scan Dual which worlked well on Window 95, but not compatible on Window XP. Anyone has a good idea to make this work on XP? Thanks.

philway

To kanae

Post Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:39 pm

What is your Dimage Scan Dual model?
For OS compatibility: http://www.konicaminoltasupport.com/Ser ... .html?&L=0
Then click on thumbnail Compatibility

gummyb

Post Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:40 pm

kanae wrote:I have Minolta Dimage Scan Dual which worlked well on Window 95, but not compatible on Window XP. Anyone has a good idea to make this work on XP? Thanks.

The Minola Dimage Scan Dual works on XP! Who told you it's not compatible?

Board index Equipment Scanners Help with 35m slides to digital