Board index PBase Questions and Answers Dysfunctional Search Engine?

Questions and Answers

Dysfunctional Search Engine?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
soulis

Dysfunctional Search Engine?

Post Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

All my image titles start with "Soulis:". I do this in order to be able
to find my own images much easier.
Right now, e.g., I get all my sunset images by entering "soulis sunset"
into the search engine.
However, when I enter, e.g., "soulis secrets", to get all my images
with "Soulis: Secrets of the Deep" in the title
(and there are 7 such images), I get nothing.

Emily, please look into this.

Thanks!

soulis
Last edited by soulis on Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hjsteed

Re: Dysfunctional Search Engine?

Post Thu Sep 06, 2012 12:41 pm

Yes, I also find the PBase search engine dysfunctional. I put my user name and a keyword like 'hjsteed rose' and no relevant results are generated. But if I use Google with the same terms, I get links to my Rose Gallery and links to several individual image links.

A more efficient search engine for user needs would be a big improvement, especially if PBase ever markets a Smart Phone App with advanced slide show features for a wide range of Input/Output devices, including large home entertainment screens.

soulis

Post Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:39 pm

The search engine has now become even worse!
It finds only a small part of my images for anything I enter in the search gadget.

soulis

erichmangl

Post Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:08 pm

hjsteed wrote: especially if PBase ever markets a Smart Phone App ...

haha, that was a good one :-) there are things not fixed since many years but you expect new features from the almost non exisiting "team" behind pbase?

soulis

Post Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:10 am

Actually, if you want to trace your own images in a gallery of yours,
all that you have to do is EDIT the gallery and and enter the appropriate
words in the search button of your browser.
For example, if I want to to see all "Secrets of the Deep" images of mine,
I just put the string "Secrets of the Deep" in my Firefox "Find:" box,
and I go down the gallery listing with all the relevant images checked.

soulis

soulis

Post Sun Oct 28, 2012 9:01 pm

It looks like the search engine does not search the titles
of the images on PBase well. Is this true?

soulis

natureart

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:00 am

I tried to search on the word slideshow on this forum, and found a new (for me new) problem,
Dysfunctional Search engine.

I now have three 'major' porblems with PBASE !
Why am I payingfor my website, I am wondering now..... :?: :roll:

This must be solved soon.
Art

kstuebin

Post Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:28 pm

Has anyone considered how hard it would be to code a search engine? I'm not a programmer but think about what it has to do. It has to find specific words and groups of words using logic such as "and" "or" "not." Try it yourself. Write a string of words you think would find your photo. Now exclude other ones that might be relevant and occur too. I just use google. It's not a big deal for me.

natureart

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:17 am

If you run something as PBASE.
And it has a search function which always worked, you may expect as a paying (customer) that it will work.
That's a service PBASE offers.

This has nothing to do how hard it is to make a search engine on a site like PBASE.
You may expect that PBASE has People how know what they are doing and they have knowledge of these things.
I still have confidence that they have, and that they will solve the problems, however it takes a lot of time and you have to wait along time before you get a reply on an e-mail to the support people.
I understand that PBASE is changing a lot, that's a good thing, that that will be with some problems ok, but I am facing too many problems since May 2012 already.
This is still not solved. (EXIF DATA ; SLIDESHOW PROBLEMS ; SEARCH ENGINE those are three of the 5 Problems I ran into this year)
I think Pbase also may take knowledge that PBASE exists due to paying customers, who pay for the service they pretent to offer, but this year with lots of problems.
I still think PBASE is a great thing to share images with the world in a website environment which you can easliy make to your own standards.
But It is a hard thing this year
Thank you
Art

kstuebin

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Pbase has always been glitchy. It is much better now than it used to be in terms of functionality.

I don't know about other photo hosting sites except for Flickr which I'm kind of semi on. I don't pay on there so I can't complain. But they have TEAMS of developers and still have issues. "Feeding the gerbils" or whatever stupid message you get when you click on something and it doesn't work.

Then there are priorities. The Pbase owners decide the priorities. The search engine may be low on the list. Being able to use the slideshow or see yours and other's images might be higher.

I have been on hundreds of web sites where they have coded their own search engine and it returns nonsense when you put in key words. Some just use a Google tool bar. This leads me to believe that coding a search engine that works is not an easy task.

Even Flickr's doesn't work perfectly. Did I mention they're owned by Yahoo and Yahoo has their own search engine? And yet they can't get it 100% right.

natureart

Post Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Search engine is not high o my list eather.
However the slide show and EXIF data is.
Don't forget I already sent the EXIF problem in June to pbase.

Anyway thanks for your reaction

kstuebin

Post Sat Nov 17, 2012 12:14 am

natureart wrote:Search engine is not high o my list eather.
However the slide show and EXIF data is.
Don't forget I already sent the EXIF problem in June to pbase.

Anyway thanks for your reaction

I understand. This should be a priority. I looked at your photos. They are beautiful, btw. The exif looked correct but when I clicked on full exif, it was blank. I hope you are not having to add everything manually. That is ridiculous and I would be very upset. And the slide show is also another feature I feel should be functional. Someone visits your site and clicks on it and nothing. Missing images. People like slide shows to view a gallery.

Even the search engine could work a little better than it does. I just think anyone who has been on any site and used a built in search engine has run into poor returns and probably doesn't have high expectations there. But then again, there are people like Soulis who want to use it to search their own images and when you get a large number of them on your site, it would be helpful to at least return name and title.

amoxtli

Post Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:33 pm

Slideshow works on my site, both the one that comes with each PBase Gallery and the one added manually to my Root Gallery.

And yes, it would be nice if the EXIF data worked again. Worked perfectly for years and now it no longer indicates Exposure Bias , White Balance , Metering Mode , JPEG Quality Exposure Program and Focus Distance.

As for the PBase Search Engine, that's not high on my list as well, but it would be nice if it worked.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Dysfunctional Search Engine?