Board index PBase Questions and Answers Remove "small medium large original" links on photo page?

Questions and Answers

Remove "small medium large original" links on photo page?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
mangoman

Remove "small medium large original" links on photo page?

Post Tue May 15, 2012 5:11 am

Is there a way to delete the links located below your photo and have users always get the original?

I've seen some pages where "original" is gone and only "small medium large" are there, but I want to do the opposite and only show the originals. The size links don't even need to be there.

Sort of doubt it, but thought I'd ask...

Thanks.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Remove "small medium large original" links on photo page?

Post Tue May 15, 2012 2:17 pm

Hi,

No, there is not a way to do this. Since you don't know what size monitor or window visitors are using to view your photos, you can't determine the best size to show them. For this reason, we leave the decision up to the viewer. That way, they get the viewing experience that works best for them. I hope this helps.

-Emily

mangoman

Post Tue May 15, 2012 3:42 pm

Thanks Emily. I do see a lot of people (myself included) who add a "Please click on original" message somewhere on their pages, perhaps because it is not necessarily obvious to users.

Also I tend to upload at 1024px width in most cases and I think most everyone has at least that size these days. Maybe a control of the default that the user gets would work?

Anyway, thanks for the reply.

asianodyssey

Post Fri May 18, 2012 10:56 am

One thing to bear in mind when uploading images sized greater than 800 pixels, wide or high, is that when viewed at a size smaller than 'original' the images noticeably lose sharpness.
This is one reason why 'View at original size' is often stated.

Because so many people browse with tablets and smart phones etc these days it is important to have the size options.

1designguy

Post Fri May 18, 2012 7:01 pm

mangoman wrote:Is there a way to delete the links located below your photo and have users always get the original?

I've seen some pages where "original" is gone and only "small medium large" are there, but I want to do the opposite and only show the originals. The size links don't even need to be there.

Sort of doubt it, but thought I'd ask...

Thanks.

I (mostly) upload images to Pbase with a 800 pixel wide side (panoramas are the rare exception). When I upload in that size, I get only "small, medium or original". I assume that is what you are referring to. The "large" size option is omitted since that size is what the original is uploaded as.

mangoman

Post Sun May 20, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks for the further information guys. I get it. I had noticed that some galleries did not have the 'original' link, but hadn't correlated it to an 800px upload. Makes sense.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Remove "small medium large original" links on photo page?