Board index Equipment Digital Cameras How to use Tamron 100-300 (186D) as a MACRO ?

Digital Cameras

How to use Tamron 100-300 (186D) as a MACRO ?

u96

How to use Tamron 100-300 (186D) as a MACRO ?

Post Thu Apr 27, 2006 9:27 pm

Does somebody know how to use this lens as a macro with minolta 505si super (also called Dynax 5 in the USA) ?

Thank you for all your suggestions.

dang

Post Mon May 01, 2006 12:52 am

I tried doing a google to find this specific lens, and couldn't. I'm guessing it may be an older version, since the ones listed (and the one I own) are 70-300 mm. If it's intended to use for macro work, it should have a switch on the side that says macro-normal. By setting it to the macro position it will lock the lens at it's longer milimeter and give you it's closest focusing . The 70-300 is a 1:2 (half life size) which isn't a true macro by some standards, but good enough to shoot flowers, stamps and some insects. It's closest focusing distance is around 3 feet, the older models may give much less magnification and their closest focus may be 5 feet or more.

u96

Post Wed May 31, 2006 5:25 pm

unfortunatelly this lens hasn't any switch to MACRO mode but it's called "MACRO"
I tried to get information from Tamron Company but they didn't give me any info :(

So - does somebody know anything about this lens?
Tamron 186D 100-300 mm for Minolta AF.

dang

Post Wed May 31, 2006 8:08 pm

Okay.. I checked the version of the Tamron I have, and it's the 572DE which has 1:2 ability. The older versions (which I believe this to be) won't come near this. As far as macro ability, all you can do is get as close as possible with it in foucs. That's as large as it gets, sorry. No switch, not much macro ability on the Tamron 70-300. You can check the version I have, and the lesser one here:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... Submit.y=8

There's very little price difference, but the maco ability is only a 1:3.8 on the older version. Some even older lenses wouldn't be as good as either of these. So it's very important to know what you're buying before you purchase.

Board index Equipment Digital Cameras How to use Tamron 100-300 (186D) as a MACRO ?