Board index PBase Show and Tell 461st Show & Tell Competition: Art in engineering - WINNER

Show and Tell

461st Show & Tell Competition: Art in engineering - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
kzaret

atucker

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:37 am

This was a classic case of not really understanding my topic until I saw all of your beautiful images. What I came to realize is that the art in engineering wasn't just about a particular angle or view of a structure, but more about how light, shadow, reflection, and even silhouette came to play upon the views; in other words, how you all made a view into an artistic piece.

Honorable mentions:

Simple graphic view from Markus Grompe:

Another bold and graphic view, from Yaron Koler:

I am not a central symmetry fan, but this keeps catching my eye from Alla Gilbourd:

What a simple yet beautiful silhoutte from John Medlin:

I don't know what this is, but I like it, from Alain Lastrade:

We definitely need a shot of the Sydney Opera House, from Paul Dudley:

Cool distortion from Steve Maz:

We've taken covered bridge shots, but this has just the right amount of perspective, contrast, and shadows for my taste from Allan Hart:

Dizzying perspective from Walter Koenig:

Flying buttresses from Robin Lew. At first glance, kind of busy, but in original the image has flow from point to point:

I like the perspective and structure, but I prefer more contrast, even with the haze. From Gill Kopy:

Third Place: The colorful reflections draw my eye to this, and then spending more time I appreciate the craftsmanship of the aluminum skin, the design of the plane, and the nice painting detail on the cowling of the engine. The reflecting colors frame the subject. From Aldeca:

Second Place: The spirals contrasting with the zebra stripe shadows and dramatic perspective kept me looking at this one from Markus Grompe. Best seen at original size:

First Place to Tom Sherry: This is a deceptively simple image, but the more I look at it in original size, the more I like it. The tonal range is great, I like the monochrome, and I like the contrast between the simple repeating curves in the foreground versus the diverse structures and opposing curves and lines in the background. Well seen and well rendered.

stevemaz

Re: 461st Show & Tell Competition: Art in engineering - WINNER

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:43 am

Hi Ken, what a brilliant subject, Thank you for honourable mention. Congratulations to the winner.

sylvester

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:56 am

Beautiful stuff from everybody, challenged by what I thought would be a difficult subject. I'm so pleased to get a place in the HMs. Thanks!

robinlew

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:57 am

Thank you for the HM. Congratulations to the winners.

gillk

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 am

So many wonderful entries in this competition - super topic Ken :) Congrats to the winners and a big thanks for HM !

allagil

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:46 am

Thank you for the HM. Congratulations to the winners!

Alla

alain_lestrade

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:09 am

Thank you Ken for the honourable mention. Congratulation to the winners!
My picture has been taken from the bottom of a surge tank of a hydroelectrical dam: it's a well, measuring 100m (300 feet) deep. You can see the nacelle going down for surveying the well.

Regards.

amoxtli

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks for the HM and congrats to the winner. A well chosen topic!
Regards,
Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

atucker

Post Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:44 pm

Congrats to all. Thanks for picking my photo for the win. The photo is from the top of the Riechstag in Berlin.

I will select a new category soon.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 461st Show & Tell Competition: Art in engineering - WINNER