Board index PBase Show and Tell 391st Show & Tell Competition: Renewable energy - WINNER

Show and Tell

391st Show & Tell Competition: Renewable energy - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
kazmierczyk

Post Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:31 pm

Judging by the relatively low turn out, the topic of this S&T challenge has turned out... well... to be a challenge. On the other hand, I see signs that activity on pBase in general seems to be declining. I wonder whether others have the same impression?

Anyways, all the more reason for big thanks and thumbs up to those who have participated. First, the honourable mentions:

Great composition by Walter, and a beautiful subject.

This photo by Markus is very eye catching. I like the contrast between the colors of the kite and an almost desaturated background. But what really makes it work is the silhouette next to it

I love this photo by Gill – the dark mood and great composition. But the topic of the challenge was renewable energy, and this photo is not it.

Third place goes to Marcel, for an elegant composition and the excellent illustration of the immense height of many hydro power dams. Dizzying capture. NB, Norway produces 90% of its electricity from hydropower, so it is a viable technology

Second place to Paul, for the amazing capture of this monster, the largest dam on earth. I think the photo could gain from a bit of tweaking in photoshop for better impact, but for me its strengths are already there – the rectangular lines, and the contrast between the massive concrete structure and the vessels. NB, the damming of the Yangtze resulted in an upstream reservoir 600km long and 90m deep.

But in the end, it is this photo that stole my heart:

The strong colors, the composition, and the contrast between the smooth sail and the fluffy sky. But first and foremost, it makes you feel like you are there...

Congratulations to Ken Zaret – who will choose the next challenge - and thanks to all participants.

kzaret

Re: 391st Show & Tell Competition: Renewable energy - WINNER

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:38 am

Pawel, thanks for your support! Well crafted entries in this contest.

gillk

Post Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:33 am

It was a shame there weren't more entries in this competition which I thought was one where many interpretations were possible., e.g. solar vs. hydro, etc. Congrats to Ken and other winners - and thanks for the HM>
Gill

amoxtli

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 3:47 pm

Thank you for the HM, and Congrats to the winners and all who entered. It was a challenging subject and I enjoyed seeing the submissions.
As for activity on PBase declining, I think probably most of us who are active here can see that in the stats. Also many subscribers have left, including many that were active in this competition.
The Show & Tell Competition is not the only activity for photo submissions on PBase experiencing a decline, both the once popular Weekly and the Monthly Challenges on the PaD Forum have been suspended. At one point circa 2009 the Monthly Challenge had nearly 1,000 replies per month. This dropped to 37 replies in January, 2016. I was co-host of the Weekly Challenge for years and we often had 60 or more submissions per week, until interest waned.
Several factors have been blamed for this, lack of development of the PBase site, lack of communication by management, problems such as slowness with the PBase site, competition from sites such as 500px (where there is an active expat PBase community by the way) and the ease and number of views received by posting on social media.
These are just a few of my observations.
Best to you all,
Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

kzaret

Post Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:08 pm

I agree with Walter.

The single easiest way to keep PBase alive and relevant to the so many individuals who live on their phones and tablets is to make image viewing capable by swiping. The "next" you must click to get through a gallery is impossibly small on a phone and not easily seen on tablets. I have written to the PBase administrators about this. If they took one or two dollars from our annual fee and used it to update the website with phone/tablet compatibility, it could have a very positive effect.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 391st Show & Tell Competition: Renewable energy - WINNER