Board index PBase Show and Tell 308th Show & Tell Competition: Cemeteries - WINNER

Show and Tell

308th Show & Tell Competition: Cemeteries - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
grompem

emmelafoto

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:05 pm

Thank all participants for the many excellent entries. Overall, I found that the black and white entries worked best for me on this theme.

Honorable mentions:
Ken Zaret

The most dramatic of the entries. The image is visually balanced with the bones and skull in the left foreground and the empty blackness in the top right.

Chris Bladon

I really liked the color tones in this image. Despite the decay, the scene is oddly beautiful and peaceful.

Arnie Peterschmidt

The composition is well done with the white angel off-center and counterbalancing the overall blackness of the image. I really liked how dark the rest of the photo is and how the viewer has to make an effort to read the dates on this child grave.

Walter

The composition of this picture is well done with the view being drawn through the headstones up to the castle. The time of year is perfect for the shot with the bare tree limbs adding to the melancholy of seeing long-forgotten graves.

Gill Kopy
3d place:

An unusual capture evoking questions about the nature of the grave and the person in it. I found myself looking at the photo multiple times. I like the symbolism of the woman “rising” out of the snow. For me the scene it has a “resurrection” feel.

J Rayner
2nd place:

The juxtaposition of the “sad” statue and the ponderous visitor of the cemetery is visually striking. The treatment of the image in terms of contrast and overall brightness is very well done.

Maaike Huizer

1st place: Superb composition and very well cone “darkroom” processing of this B&W image. It has strong emotional appeal and best fits the “cemetery” theme with the clearly visible rows of graves in the background. Congratulations!

jlben

Re: 308th Show & Tell Competition: Cemeteries - WINNER

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:56 pm

Congrats Maaike and all the winners :D

peterschmidtab

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:16 pm

Thank you Markus for the HM and for the unusual and evocative theme. Congratulations to the winners.

gillk

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:14 pm

Congratulations to Maaike and a big thanks for the 3rd place :) Made a special visit to our local graveyard for the occasion !! Thanks for taking time to comment on your decisions Markus - that is always interesting and a great way of making the competitions a learning experience as well.

kade

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:19 pm

Congrats to all winners and HM! A good coice.
Karin

kzaret

Post Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:39 pm

Thanks for the HM Markus, and I agree the tones and rendering of Maaike's photo, along with the comp, make it a winner!

fishit

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 am

Congrats to the winners and HMs, all good choices.

terrybowker

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:14 am

Congratulations to all of the winners! Nice contest; great selections!

Terry

metalfanatic

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:48 am

Thank you Markus for the HM. For me it's a great honor! :)
Congrats to the winners and to the other HMs!

Regards from Vienna
Walter

emmelafoto

Post Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:56 am

Tnak you, Markus, for making me the winner. The competition was strong.

Board index PBase Show and Tell 308th Show & Tell Competition: Cemeteries - WINNER