Board index PBase Show and Tell 305th Show & Tell Competition: Negative Space - WINNER

Show and Tell

305th Show & Tell Competition: Negative Space - WINNER

Announce and discuss your photos.
bclaypole

emmelafoto

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:45 pm

Another fantastic selection of entries! Well done to all that participated. There where a number of entries that utilized negative space alongside the rule of thirds and since the topic was negative space, I tired to judge based upon the use of negative space. It was interesting to see the many variations of the topic and I think I learned a lot - but only time will tell.

Honorable Mentions (in no order):

Sandi's decision to compose the shot this way was probably dictated by the available light but it makes you look twice at the subjects to determine if they are real or statues.

Jeff's inclusion of the person adds scale and the negative space leaves you wondering what the surrounding terrain looks like. All 3 of Jeff's entries where in the running.

Sang's entry really made me question myself. The thumbnail was instantly pleasing to me. The negative space forced me to stare at the delicate detail in the flower. When I clicked on the thumbnail, the imaged opened as a mirror 180 degree flip (no idea why) and it lost some of it's appeal to me?? Was I put off but the unexpected or do I prefer left to right negative space???

3rd Place

Karin's flower is so rich in colour that I can actually remember the smell of a Rose when I look at it. The negative space keeps my eye tracing out all of the edges and accentuates the details. The shot holds my focus for a good long while.

2nd Place

Chris' composition is like non-other I have seen of Ayers Rock and that's a huge compliment IMHO, not easy to do with a subject that's been photographed millions of times. The negative space adds scale (although you would think it would lessen the immensity of the rock, I think it increases it) and does a wonderful job showing off the colour.

1st Place

Maaike's composition inside the Museum of Modern Art is an ironic masterpiece! This is what I hope to learn when offering this topic. First, the frame is landscape and nearly every line in the shot is vertical. My brain would have shot this portrait and it would have been a failure. Second, the use of the negative space on the right side balances nicely with the activity on the left. Third, the negative space's colour/tone compliments the other colours/tones in the frame.

Thank you again to all for making this a very hard contest to judge. Over to you Maakie.

emmelafoto

Re: 305th Show & Tell Competition: Negative Space - WINNER

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:20 pm

Wow, thank you!!!!! I didn't see this coming. So many interesting entries. I am truly honoured. Have to think about the next challenge.

dapascha

305th Show & Tell Competition: Negative Space - WINNER

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:32 pm

Well, at least I learned something! Nice competition, tricky subject, and I appreciate you taking the opportunity to combine the competition with a learning moment and sharing your thoughts and arguments. And congratulations, emmelafoto!

chungsp

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:17 am

Thanks for HM, Brad. Since you made the comment of "a mirror 180 degree flip(no idea why)" from thumb nail image to real image of the calla lily, I believe an explanation is in order: the two images, negative and positive, share common border with convexity and concavity of both images, so that the viewer could decide harmony or "tug of war", "contour rivalry" between the two images. I am not the one who decide the concept of the visual perception of the viewer. Thanks again, sang.

heffa

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:36 am

Thank you Brad, and congrats Maaike! Great winning photo.

christophertravels

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:15 am

Thank-you for the second place. And congratulations to all the other entries and winners.

irislynx

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:19 am

Congrats to the winner and Runner ups!! Was a good contest.

gillk

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 3:59 am

Congratulations to Maaike and other winners !
Gill

jlben

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:46 am

Congrats to all, Brad included for a great contest.

kade

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Thank you for the third place and congrats to the winner and the H.M. Great contest with an interesting theme.

impalass

Post Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:12 pm

Congrats to all the winners, this was good one and hard to judge for sure!!!!

Thanks Brad….. Cheers…Mike

Board index PBase Show and Tell 305th Show & Tell Competition: Negative Space - WINNER