Board index PBase Show and Tell Please VOTE a bit more to push the bad galleries away

Show and Tell

Please VOTE a bit more to push the bad galleries away

Announce and discuss your photos.
dievee

Please VOTE a bit more to push the bad galleries away

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:49 pm

Looking in the 7 days popular galleries there where so many of the same author and all where really uninteresting (for most viewers I presume) and certainly the quality of the pictures is really bad.

I decided to spent some time on searching on the better ones and vote for them (the galleries, not images) to push all that rubbish at the end of the list or even away. I think that if more people would vote on really fine and interesting galleries it would be much more enjoyable to go through the favorites and to find some fine photographers or interesting series.

I never saw such an amount of bad galleries as the last days and if this continues many good photographers will never be found, what a pity. I'm absolutely not asking votes for my galleries. Why is Slug not doing something to prevent this, 20 or 30 crappy galleries from the same person, that's really chasing people away. If I find enough time I will vote for a lot of galleries from the 90 days populars to push these bad galleries away. I'm on this site to enjoy fine pictures and good photographers and not for searching how to renew my kitchen, or repair a bike or parts of an old car, oh boy.

With kind regards,

Dirk

minoltaman

Post Sun Jan 04, 2004 11:53 pm

Just more people, or less people voting than you are used too. The 7day list runs soooooo deep and it takes so few votes to make it on it.

Click these two links to see the fruits of some great artists/photographers work. (I know you already do)

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=90

http://www.pbase.com/galleries?view=popular&period=all

The 7day list is for newbies. Please don't get too upset when people get a few votes over a short period of time.

The 90day and the all-time lists are where the big-boys play. It looks like you have what it takes.... :) :wink:

BTW, somewhere near 500 posts have been made on this topic lately Dick.
Last edited by minoltaman on Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:05 am

All slug needs to do is to raise the minimum standard for being displayed on the 7day list. Maybe only the top 100, 150, or 200 or something similar.

Or, he could display the 9oday or all-time lists, which he probably does not want to do. I don't see what raising the minimum requirement to be shown on the 7 day list would hurt to be honest. It might keep people from making complaints like this one. :wink:

The only reason the list looks like it does is cuz of the super low number of votes you need to get to make the list currently.

Cheers

andesheng

Exercise your pbase constitutional right: VOTE!

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:13 am

While I tend to agree with a lot of the wishes for better quality photos & galleries on the 7-day lists, I think the best way to upgrade what is found in the popular lists - all of them, not just the 7-day - is to vote for what we like. I have made a conscious point over the last few days to review a number of my favorite artists, and place votes for what I like. The value of the 7-day list is that even with just one vote these selections show up in the Popular Photos Last 7 Days list....if others see them there, like them, and cast a vote for them, not only do they move up on the 7 day list, they may even migrate over to the 90-day list.

I think each of the lists has value, even though I agree the 7-day list is loaded down with a bunch of dreck at any given time. If those of us who take photos a bit more seriously would spend just 15 minutes a day trolling for good photos and galleries, and casting votes, I think over time the quality on all the lists would go up. It would go up even faster if we took the time to drill down through the 7-day lists and actually vote for those images and galleries that we like - because they are there if we make an effort to look for them.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:18 am

Excellent stuff andsheng. You are 100 percent correct and thanks for taking the time to detail your thoughts here. The 7day list is exactly what it is. A seven day snapshot in time. One vote does make a difference no matter how many galleries it is placed on. Just use your votes wisely and everything is cool. This system is working fairly well and will continue to get better in time.

Cheers

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:37 am

One more thing...expose your galleries to more members by participating in the topic of the week threads or other member participation threads here at the show-and-tell forum.

This will get many fellow members to see your stuff that ordinarily would not get to see it. Increasing your chances for votes. Just participate more in the pbase forums in general and you will increase your potential for votes from other members. This would help keep the lists a little more tidy.

Cheers

dievee

For Minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:17 am

minoltaman wrote:All slug needs to do is to raise the minimum standard for being displayed on the 7day list. Maybe only the top 100, 150, or 200 or something similar.

Or, he could display the 9oday or all-time lists, which he probably does not want to do. I don't see what raising the minimum requirement to be shown on the 7 day list would hurt to be honest. It might keep people from making complaints like this one. :wink:

The only reason the list looks like it does is cuz of the super low number of votes you need to get to make the list currently.

Cheers

Hi Minoltaman,

Thanks for the info and I will surely vote more in the future. Maybe it would be helpfull if Slug would classify them also in order of the hits they got, so it would be easier to find the interesting new ones.

Cheers,
Dirk

pstewart

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:41 am

If you think the gallery lists are bad, youaintseennuthinyet!
Just read this: http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?p=8368#8368

I just learned about that today when I finally took a good look at this list.

I have voted for individual images for a long time. I hate to think my votes aren't counting for some reason. I think we all need to stop voting JUST for whole galleries and vote more for individual images as well. Do both, but don't forget the images. Every day we find something truly impressive deserving of a vote! Let's all vote for great images and see if those numbers start to shape up in a few weeks! If they don't, then the system is indeed broken. :(

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:06 pm

You should have known that voting for images was not doing a lot of good at this point because there was no popular photo page advertised anywhere.
Last edited by minoltaman on Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:07 pm

And it will take a hell of a lot longer athan a few weeks for the lists to shape up. Stop posting crap all over the board that that says systems do not work and are a joke. Go somewhere else if you do not like things here.

minoltaman

Post Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:33 pm

Stewart, you keep saying day after day now you don't care about the lists, but every morning I wake up to see you have bumped all of the recent popular galleries threads to the top of the boards. Go figure.......

:roll: :shock: :( :cry: :? :shock: :wink: :?: :evil: :o :shock:

Board index PBase Show and Tell Please VOTE a bit more to push the bad galleries away