Board index PBase Show and Tell Did the average Quality drop ???

Show and Tell

Did the average Quality drop ???

Announce and discuss your photos.

Has average photo quality decreased since PBase became a pay-site?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:18 pm

No, it is the same I think
20%
Yes, I think it has dropped a bit
10%
No, I'd say it has improved a bit
20%
Yes, it is has deteriorated a LOT
5%
No, it has improved drastically
10%
I simply haven't got a clue
35%

Total votes : 20

minoltaman

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:29 am

To get more critiques and advice on how to improve my work I first have to improve my work and become more popular?

My bad...somehow I mucked Angelo's words up when I read the text earlier re: 'getting better'. Thanks for the correction, I was referring to comments in general.

I don't think anyone wants a feather up the booty. Maybe you do, but I don't. I like to see what stuff other people like, not dislike. I can't sell the crappy stuff but I may be able to sell the works that many others think are good. This is extremely helpful to me and makes positive pats on the back very constructive at times. Especially for guys like me with a lot of stuff.

If you want comments to improve your work, state so in your galley text or guestbook. Ask for help. People will be glad to tell you how to do things usually.

Anyway, you have your ways, I have mine.

Cheers

minoltaman

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 12:35 am

By the way, A site like photosig.com is more geared towards critiqueing.

I prefer the voting system and popular gallery lists of pbase. Critiques are like you know what....everyone has one butt they usually ain't worth beans. One lone vote from a paying member is much harder to capture and a much bigger prize I think. The exposure you get by making the top lists here is simply outstanding. Second to none I think.

Cheers

sheila

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:54 am

I would say it has improved a great deal. While there will always be room for "snaps" of family and friends, I think that more semi-pro and keen amateurs will start to use this site which IMHO is unique. The CSS upgrade has been a great boon to the look of most galleries (thanks to those folk like Webdev, Mike and Srijith and others) taking it from an amateur look to be almost on a par with pro websites. I, for one, would not have anything near like the hits I get on my PBase galleries than I would if I had a personal photographic website and I am selling a lot of images of late. So keep up the good work, PBasers and thanks to Slug and Emily for allowing us very inexpensive access to this great site.

Cheers
Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

ang1970

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:01 am

If you want comments to improve your work, state so in your galley text or guestbook. Ask for help. People will be glad to tell you how to do things usually.

Don, thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try.

Still, I feel there should be more incentive to seek out and critique new unknown galleries without being personally asked to do so by each gallery owner. There's still the problem of chicken before the egg before the chicken. How do people know to go to my gallery in order to be asked to leave critiques if I haven't already told them to go to my gallery and leave critiques? It's not fair for any of us to artificially "compel" people to go to our galleries and vote. (Wasn't there already a long thread about this?) So it seems that a system is needed like the one on photosig (not to copy photosig, but use/create any system that produces the desired results).

The other thing that borders on artificial is uploading often... I like to slam a whole folder up in one shot using .zip files, a feature of pbase I really appreciate. It would be a simple thing for me to upload only one pic per day, but very tedious. And I don't have the opportunity to shoot every day, so I don't always have new pics. So in order for me to stay on the recently uploaded list, I might be tempted to delete and upload the same pic or folder every day. That's not fair. And if everyone started doing that, it would become ineffective for everyone except those who do it the most. Imagine people deleting and re-uploading the same folder every hour. Imagine how much that would bog down pbase's servers. Not fun. Let's do what we can to prevent this abuse from happening.

minoltaman

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:59 am

Still, I feel there should be more incentive to seek out and critique new unknown galleries without being personally asked to do so by each gallery owner.

500 or so galleries on the popular lists is quite a bit of pretty good unknown to for me to look at. I know what you mean though. Something that is not to trumped up would be ok in my book. i don't know what that would be though.

How do people know to go to my gallery in order to be asked to leave critiques if I haven't already told them to go to my gallery and leave critiques?

Again, upload good pics and you will become visible. It's how it works.

It's not fair for any of us to artificially "compel" people to go to our galleries and vote.

Nobody wants anyone to cheat votes.

The other thing that borders on artificial is uploading often...

Many people work on one file at a time like myself. The best way to maximize your efforts is to send that pix straight up whenever possible. There is nothing artificial about that at all and it takes only a few secs with high speed. you have the file open already. It's the smart way to do things if you have time and the quality pix. A company does not buy all of it's advertisements in the same time slot does it? nope..

So in order for me to stay on the recently uploaded list, I might be tempted to delete and upload the same pic or folder every day. That's not fair.

I think people have got in trouble for this sort of thing.

Let's do what we can to prevent this abuse from happening.

Who said anything about this but you? No one wants cheaters around here. Maybe you should read the 3 or 4 very long threads on cheating I think.

Sounds like you are complaining that you don't not have enough pix or the time to do the work. In this case I suggest you are getting what you pay for.

I spent 10 months or so shooting 50,000 shots to get 10,000 or so pretty good ones to upload. I spent 10-12 hours a day here at pbase the last two-three months editing and uploading pix. First 600 sucked and nobody visited my galleries. Waste of everyones time. I then started uploading better more interesting pix and one day they just started to come. It will be no different for you if you have the pix to put on the board.

Cheers

Previous

Board index PBase Show and Tell Did the average Quality drop ???