Board index PBase Show and Tell Suggestions on taking pictures on cloudy days...

Show and Tell

Suggestions on taking pictures on cloudy days...

Announce and discuss your photos.
lambchop24

Suggestions on taking pictures on cloudy days...

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 2:17 am

My pictures usually don't come out as nice when it's cloudy outside with my digital camera. Do you have any suggestions on how to get the pictures to trun out better?

pstewart

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 6:34 am

What is not so nice about them? If it's color brightness, you can easily tweak that in photoshop. Or is there another problem?

Personally, I like cloudy days for pics...no harsh shadows. It's a good time to take shots of smaller things, and of people.

If you could post a few examples of some that you don't like due to the cloudiness, that would help.

Phyllis

warno

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 1:22 pm

Hi Gisela, simply don't have any preconceptions when you go out with your camera. NOTHING is ever a problem ;-)

pstewart

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 8:30 pm

warno wrote:Hi Gisela, simply don't have any preconceptions when you go out with your camera. NOTHING is ever a problem ;-)

Well put. A "problem" day is really an OPPORTUNITY to see something new or in a different way.

lambchop24

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:09 pm

Here are some examples....

http://www.pbase.com/image/24177291
http://www.pbase.com/image/24177320

I just feel that the pictures that I take in the sun...come out better. But, I also would love any suggestions. I do this as a hobby, but don't have any educational experience. :)

thanks for the suggestions so far!

lambchop24

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 9:22 pm

Btw your pictures are great...both of you!

I love Wet, wet wales!

And your Kids pictures are really good!

warno

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 10:30 pm

Thanks Gisela -- Wet Wales, exactly! Looking at your photos, the problem is not the weather, but the colour. Always think of colour. So, if you see a view like that -- think of black and white, or try a different crop, until you see a view where you really like the colour. By that I mean that it could be a set of subdued colours, like the ones you find in 'bad' weather. Actually, there are a few times when the weather can really be bad; when it rains so much your camera's getting wet; when you're on top of a mountain and you're surrounded by a wall of cloud, or when the sky is clean you might as well have painted it in Photoshop... (The best sunsets involve some degree of cloud) See what I mean?

ang1970

Post Tue Dec 16, 2003 11:58 pm

lambchop, the first thing I would address is your white balance setting. I did a quick level adjustment in photoshop, a kind of white-balance-after-the-fact. The difference isn't mind blowing, but hopefully it will give you a starting point to make improvements.

Image Image
(Original)--------------------------(Photoshopped)

With the images side by side, you can see how the original has a green haze, which is making the other colors seem washed out.

Hope that helps.
Angelo

p.s. You can save a ton of space by saving your pictures as .jpeg instead of .bmp . See this page for more info.

lambchop24

Post Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:22 pm

Thanks for all the advice guys. Oh I see...that is nice what you can do with photoshop! The colors look a bit better.

What do you mean about saving my pictures. I didn't know they were bmp?

Board index PBase Show and Tell Suggestions on taking pictures on cloudy days...