Board index PBase Show and Tell ooh man...

Show and Tell

ooh man...

Announce and discuss your photos.
libragrrrl67

ooh man...

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:05 pm

some people on this site take things SO seriously. c'mon folks, aren't we supposed to having fun here? :D lighten up...please? just referring to a couple comments i've received in the last 24 hours.

minoltaman

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:14 pm

Who is giving you trouble Danielle? About what? :?:

libragrrrl67

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:35 pm

i wouldn't say they're giving me trouble...just taking things a little too seriously. i can kinda understand where one of them is coming from...a man commented on my insane asylum pics...almost seemed outraged. but then i took a look at his galleries and it seems he may be an older man and i don't know if he's from the u.s. or not. so, i could see what he was saying. but this "guest" (i really think it's a pbase user), was actually pretty rude about my photoshop gallery. frickin excuse me for playing with photoshop filters! anyway...not a big deal. i just think people should lighten up.
thanks for asking, Don.
have a groovy day :)

pstewart

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:11 am

Danielle, why would anyone get upset about Photoshop use? I have a huge gallery of manipulations and photo art that's filtered to the hilt, and I have yet to hear a single complaint. My guess is someone is just harrassing you for some reason. I don't think the complaint is against your gallery...he must have some personal problem. Don't let it get to you. Ignore the jerks. I have found Pbase to be filled with really nice folks, but there's always going to be some bad apple who has no self respect and has to get his kicks attacking others.

Phyllis

libragrrrl67

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 12:29 am

i don't know why anyone would get upset about photoshop use...whether it's something simple or something that takes hours to do. it's silly. and i'm absolutely not letting it get to me. what this person thinks is or is not creative or proper photoshop use means nothing to me. i'm just here to enjoy myself...and enjoy looking at other pbase photos.
is there a way to only let pbase members and not guests leave comments?

baileyzim

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 9:37 pm

Danielle,
Re: the comment on 'insane asylum'........maybe if you changed the title to the actual name of the property.
Many families with members that are mentally ill have worked hard to change the 'image' from 'insane' to mentally ill'. It is more politcally correct.
Just a thought!

ps...re: photoshop experiments....have fun, experiment!!!
pss....I really like the 'my apartment' gallery

libragrrrl67

Post Sun Nov 30, 2003 11:22 pm

Thanks, Bailey.
I have thought about that. So much political correctness to consider these days! Always someone offended by something. :wink: But, I'm certainly not out to offend anyone.
I don't know the actual property name. Maybe I'll just change it to "Asylum"...although it doesn't quite have the same effect. :?

hevezimj

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 12:30 am

Just thought I'd try to help with a constructive addition to the thoughts already expressed here about the topic.

PBase.com is so diverse. Not a strong niche identity yet formed. Yet it is a community; just full of very, very, differing backgrounds, beliefs and opinions.

Isn't that fantastic?

I hope it stays that way. What one may think is fine & dandy may actually infuriate another. If anything, such feedback helps to understand the others who are here on Pbase.com.

Is it being over sensitive? I suppose it depends what side of the fence you stand on ... and what your life experiences have been.

If you don't feel moved by someone's comments about what's been said, or posted, or titled, then do nothing and feel good about it.

Freedom of speech is a wonderful thing ... isn't it?

libragrrrl67

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:06 am

Yes, I realize all these things.
And I certainly wouldn't want there to not be free speech here on this site, or anywhere else. It is a great community here.
To tell you the truth, I didn't have that much of a problem with the comment on the insane asylum. Like I said earlier, I could kinda see where he was coming from. But it just caught me a little off guard, I guess...and I will be changing the title, so I don't offend anyone else.
It was really the other comment left about photoshop that seemed more rude and preachy than constructive.

Should we soon be moving this into the political forum? It seems to be heading that way...which is not where I really wanted it to go. Talking politics always seems to stir up emotions. And I'm not here to do that...
At least not politically.

Thanks to all who have posted replies about this.
:)

photo_matt

Lovely....

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 7:20 am

I, for one, really enjoyed your images. I can't imagine anyone giving you hell over the use of PS or any other thing for that matter. I for one, would love to see a link to your asylum pics....

http://www.pbase.com/photo_matt

baileyzim

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 1:38 pm

Danielle,
Great solution!! I've been trying to think of an alternative to 'asylum'....it's not easy!!
ps...thanks for your sensitivity...I have a close relative that is schizophrenic. He has been in /out of the hospital many times, finally stabalized & living a productive life. Before the advent of certain drugs...there was no hope for schizophrenics...they lived lives in institutions....'insane asylums'.
Once again...love your images!!

zeroscan

Post Mon Dec 01, 2003 4:08 pm

Sigh.... why do we have to be so PC all the time??

"Insane Asylum" is a fine title. Leave it be.

minoltaman

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:23 pm

I do not intend any disrespect. A few of my relatives have severe mental illnesses. I did not get offended at the title you used. You need it to have some shock value or grip anyway to be totally effective in my opinion. I also believe the world has become far to pc....such a shame. This high level of pcness ia very harmful to society in the long run I think.

Cheers

Board index PBase Show and Tell ooh man...