Board index PBase Show and Tell Lots of new photos, but...?

Show and Tell

Lots of new photos, but...?

Announce and discuss your photos.
pstewart

Lots of new photos, but...?

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 4:17 am

As you may know, I have been scanning and adding some of my best older photos for several days. I am especially pleased with the Kids photography gallery, which now has 30 of my very best kid pics and will have soon have 40+.

I'll soon be done with prints, and will start scanning scenic slides, and that gallery should double in size by the time I'm done uploading favorites.

Since I have more pics now, I have rearranged the pages in Kids and Scenics to hold more per page. I like that you can see more thumbs at once, but...

PLEASE TELL ME if the pages in Kids and Scenics load too slowly for you! I am on a cable modem so I don't notice it.

Is the number of pics per page a "good" number in your opinion, on your hookup? If not, what number would be best for you?

Thanks! And I hope you enjoy the new pictures. :)

http://www.pbase.com/pstewart/photographs

Phyllis

fotobugg

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 12:35 pm

I didn't find it slow but then I have fast connection. I wonder if it might be better to have fewer pictures on each page to keep it from being too busy. With five in a row and all those rows you don't konw where to look first.

Really excellent photos, by the way, no matter how they are arranged.

Liam

shecodes

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 2:26 pm

I have a cable modem connection, and so can't be of any help. Keeping the number of thumbnails to 12 per page will make it easier on anyone who is on dialup.

alangrant

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 6:45 pm

I had a look at the Scenics page, really nice photos.

I am on a slow dialup connection at the moment. The thumbnails page did take a while to download, but I wasn't bothered by that because I could look at the first thumbnails while waiting for the rest. And the end result is a very appealing array, which you just don't get if you restrict the page to 12 pictures. The conclusion I finally reached for my own galleries was to have up to 30-40 on a page. I would be interested to hear if other people on slow connections think this is a bad idea.

I find that the real limitation of a slow connection is in waiting for individual images to download, rather than on the thumbnail pages. The only (partial) solution to that is to download the medium size images, which doesn't require any action on the part of the person creating the gallery.

Hope this is of some help
Alan

pstewart

Post Sat Nov 29, 2003 10:03 pm

Thanks for your input. Since I have added even more to my Kids gallery today, it got a bit cumbersome all on one page, so I have set it to 15 per page, three rows of 5 pics, so now it's three separate pages. The Scenics gallery is still all on one page, but currently has fewer pics. I think I agree with Alan that's not too many. But, of course I don't want anyone to leave my page because it's too slow to load. :(

Phyllis
http://www.pbase.com/pstewart/photographs

minoltaman

Post Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:11 pm

I am on a slow dialup connection at the moment. The thumbnails page did take a while to download, but I wasn't bothered by that because I could look at the first thumbnails while waiting for the rest. And the end result is a very appealing array, which you just don't get if you restrict the page to 12 pictures. The conclusion I finally reached for my own galleries was to have up to 30-40 on a page. I would be interested to hear if other people on slow connections think this is a bad idea.

I find that the real limitation of a slow connection is in waiting for individual images to download, rather than on the thumbnail pages. The only (partial) solution to that is to download the medium size images, which doesn't require any action on the part of the person creating the gallery.

I agree with this almost 100 percent Alan. I have both high and low speed and made the same determinations myself. The real limitation on 56k is with the idividual images taking so long to download at a decent size.
I would also agree that on most galleries an impressive gallery page display is important. If you have enough good ones I also include up to 48 on each page. Just like you say the visitors can download the top rows of pics just as fast almost anyway. So a high number of thumbs is not a real problem. I do not think any sideways scrolling is so good so I try to avoid that when setting up the galleries.

My thoughts on the gallery set-up. I would make one exception...if you have some extraordinary pics...only a few will do anytime anywhere. :)

Cheers

Board index PBase Show and Tell Lots of new photos, but...?