Board index PBase Feature Requests My suggestions

Feature Requests

My suggestions

Request changes or modifications.
srijith

My suggestions

Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:50 am

A long time ago, before I decided to hang on to pbase, I had thought about and had started coding a site similar to pbase. In connection with that I had made a feature-list. Most of them are (thankfully) implemented at pbase, but there are some features which would be cool to have. Some of them have been pointed out by others too. Just to consolidate, here they are. Maybe it will help slug jump start some cool feature development

§ Owner alerted by email when comment is made for a gallery or picture.

§ Owner decides the post-submition process rather than be forced to get images in "small", "medium", "large" and original.

§ Owner could be given a choice of putting some copyright caption at a fixed on the image. ImageMagick or GD should be able to do it just fine.

§ Password proected galleries. The gallery and images in it can be accessed only with a valid password even if the casual user knows the full URL.

§ Email sent to user if any of the people in their "favorite" artists list updates their gallery. That is one of the basic reason for a list right?

§ Sharing the favorite artist list. I had suggested this to slug earlier about this, just putting it down again. It would a great tool to find new photographers. I have Mr.X in my fav. list. Mr.X has Miss Q in the list. I will most probably like Miss Q's photos too. This is badly needed as pbase's userbase increases. What could be cool is a system that suggests new/existing users based in favorite-of-favorite algorithm!

§ Generate a user level (or gallery level) XML/RDF/RSS feed that can be accessed by anyone.

§ A neat admin interface for the user. Right now the whole admin interface for the user is scattered all over the place! A central place would be so great which lists down all possible action the user can take - like add gallery, update accoutn details, administer fav. list, see images stats etc.

Any more? Add your dream features as replies to this post if you can.

altofran

Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 10:03 am

Very good suggestions!! Thanks.

olliemaitland

Post Fri Sep 26, 2003 7:02 pm

I think a good addition to the feature suggestion forum would be to have a sticky topic of what being considered/under development...

Also zipped downloading of galleries and css on profile ;)

joesimages

Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 5:21 pm

Don't forget FTP ability to upload pictures. It would be nice to right click a set of images on your hard drive and have script send them to pbase.

srijith

Post Sat Sep 27, 2003 11:25 pm

joesimages wrote:Don't forget FTP ability to upload pictures. It would be nice to right click a set of images on your hard drive and have script send them to pbase.

One problem that I faced when I wanted to add FTP capability to the list was - how to automate the process of thumbnail generation after an FTP upload. It is not as easy as in the HTTP upload case. That is why I left it out, since I could not think of how to do it :)

But yes, it is a great feature to have.

Board index PBase Feature Requests My suggestions