Board index PBase Feature Requests Big Change please

Feature Requests

Big Change please

Request changes or modifications.
zippo

Big Change please

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:37 pm

After all those years, Pbase has not changed at all, also the prices, one price a year, such as 500 pix, smugmug.... For as long as i know, it has been more then 12 years the same, so would it be time for a big change please?

dw_thomas

Re: Big Change please

Post Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:15 pm

Not that I think PBase is perfect by any means, but your sweeping statements are hardly accurate. When I joined in 2004, it cost $23 -- and you got 200 MB -- now $23 gets you 1000 MB. There is also the newer 'drag & drop" editor which has been a nice addition to the tools. I realize I am a Curmudgeonly Olde Farte, but I would prefer not to see big changes. I would just prefer PBase to do what it currently claims to do reliably -- I don't want it to become the next big social networking site. I also like the controls we have over gallery hierarchy and presentation which I don't think most other photo sites offer (though I admit I've not studied the other offerings much.)

DaveT

rsbfotos

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:40 pm

dw_thomas wrote:Not that I think PBase is perfect by any means, but your sweeping statements are hardly accurate. When I joined in 2004, it cost $23 -- and you got 200 MB -- now $23 gets you 1000 MB. There is also the newer 'drag & drop" editor which has been a nice addition to the tools. I realize I am a Curmudgeonly Olde Farte, but I would prefer not to see big changes. I would just prefer PBase to do what it currently claims to do reliably -- I don't want it to become the next big social networking site. I also like the controls we have over gallery hierarchy and presentation which I don't think most other photo sites offer (though I admit I've not studied the other offerings much.)

DaveT

+1
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

zippo

Post Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:21 pm

Lots of people i know have moved to others , and over all those years, a newer drag and drop will not do it , they leave, go to smugmug, 500pix... $25 year unlimited oploads, just hope Slug will do something after all those years

dw_thomas

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:32 am

zippo wrote:Lots of people i know have moved to others , and over all those years, a newer drag and drop will not do it , they leave, go to smugmug, 500pix... $25 year unlimited oploads, just hope Slug will do something after all those years

I guess my question is what constitutes a "big change"and what is its point? It often seems the IT related world is in love with change for the sake of change rather than accomplishing something actually useful. I occasionally see requests for upload apps that I suppose might be useful to some folks, but also would not necessarily change the basic PBase itself, so I could see doing something there. Unless one is uploading a lot of full resolution files for some reason, I don't even see "unlimited" space as all that important. (I currently have well over 13,000 images online and lots of room left out of 2 GB. I intentionally limit the resolution, 800 W, 640 H as a max to reduce their "utility" to the dirt bags who like "free stuff.")

DaveT

heez10

Post Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:42 pm

I agree with DaveT, change for the sake of change we don't need, drag and drop was a welcome change, the old system was a pain. You are not going to find the community of good photographers we have here anywhere else, if you want to become social media go join one of them. :D

mardoli

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:57 am

Topics similar to this one are recurrent in PBase forum. People turn around the same question, always in a rather vague way, speaking of indeterminate "changes" which should stop a massive migration from PBase to other photography sites.
My opinion is personal and has not any importance, of course. I fully agree with Dave and Hernan. PBase has surely a lot of flaws, but at least is still pleasantly different from many other photography sites, which suffer all of a kind of homologated platitude and don't allow the users to have a nearly full control on the appearance of their pages. On the web there is a broad choice of sites, more or less social, which can fulfil different needs and expectations. If they were all each other's copies, it would be nonsense.
I still prefer to post my photos on a site, which might be considered like a niche one or even like an old fashioned one, but where I can find a majority of people who share my interest for good photography rather than being frantically interested in posting a lot of snapshot a day through I don't know what app.
Said that, obviously, all suggested changes might be interesting, but in this case Monique should explain a little more in details what chances she was thinking of.
I'm satisfied the way PBase is now, even though everything can be improved.
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

kstuebin

Post Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:13 pm

+1 for Marissa and Dave. I don't even use the drag and drop editor. And lest you think I am some old curmudgeon as Dave put it, I am. However, I use Windows 8.1 and Visual Studio 2013 and have an app I wrote in the Microsoft store. Not bragging on myself. Just saying I'm not a dinosaur. I despise social networking. I think it is toxic and I don't think I'm overstating that. Here where I live two women got into a fight on FaceBook and one shot and killed the other in real life. I was attacked on Flickr because I fell out of favor with someone who was part of the main clique. Then Flickr went for a total change and became unusable. It now loads entire photostreams and there isn't a computer made that can keep up that. Talk about a mass migration. Everyone went to Ipernity. I like Pbase exactly the way it is too. It could be more stable and all the features could work consistently. I hope if they change anything, that is what they work on. I think everyone else put it very well. Change for the sake of change is not always progress.

zippo

Post Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:52 pm

mardoli wrote:Topics similar to this one are recurrent in PBase forum. People turn around the same question, always in a rather vague way, speaking of indeterminate "changes" which should stop a massive migration from PBase to other photography sites.
My opinion is personal and has not any importance, of course. I fully agree with Dave and Hernan. PBase has surely a lot of flaws, but at least is still pleasantly different from many other photography sites, which suffer all of a kind of homologated platitude and don't allow the users to have a nearly full control on the appearance of their pages. On the web there is a broad choice of sites, more or less social, which can fulfil different needs and expectations. If they were all each other's copies, it would be nonsense.
I still prefer to post my photos on a site, which might be considered like a niche one or even like an old fashioned one, but where I can find a majority of people who share my interest for good photography rather than being frantically interested in posting a lot of snapshot a day through I don't know what app.
Said that, obviously, all suggested changes might be interesting, but in this case Monique should explain a little more in details what chances she was thinking of.
I'm satisfied the way PBase is now, even though everything can be improved.

Larger sizes, new layouts to shoose from, just a new fresh look, and one year payments, as for 12 years... nothing has realy changed

mardoli

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:15 pm

zippo wrote:
Larger sizes, new layouts to shoose from, just a new fresh look, and one year payments, as for 12 years... nothing has realy changed

I see. I suppose you mean the default size, which now is 800 px for the longest side.
But already now you can upload all the sizes you like, even very large ones, and they will be available to every viewer just selecting the "original" button under the picture itself.
You are not obliged to upload only photos with a smaller size.
As for the layouts I suppose that, since every user has full control of their own page layout, PBase management has neglected to create other available standard layouts.
But even people who don't know that much about HTML and CSS, can change easily the colours of the available layouts, if I remember correctly, if you go in edit mode to edit your CSS, you have the option to variablize colours, which doesn't need any particular knowledge of CSS.
Besides all that you can find many members of PBase happy to help you to personalized your pages layouts here in the forum.
As far as I know no other photography sites allow such a huge control of the way one can display photo galleries.
By the way I have noticed that you personalized your profile page layout, it means you know how to do it and also all your galleries are nicely personalized.
So I wonder why you are not happy with this possibility offered by PBase, which you can use easily.
As for one year's payments, I humbly admit I have not understood what you mean, since we already pay once a year.
I suppose you are speaking of the different fee according to the different space we occupy.
Then, quoting Karen,
Change for the sake of change is not always progress

I know PBase is not perfect and, personally, I'd prefer to have a better organized customer support, just to mention one change, which I'd see like a real improvement.
But I humbly disagree that for 12 years nothing has really changed.
Maybe they have been light changes only or maybe they have not been of interest for you. But all is so relative.
It's difficult to satisfy every customer, because we have all different priorities.
I think it's positive that PBase keeps on with its particular features instead of copying other sites.
Maybe many people still stay here exactly for this reason.
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

dw_thomas

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 7:13 pm

zippo wrote:

I just want to toss in here that you should take a look at Marisa's galleries to see what incredible stuff can be done appearance-wise under the current PBase setup through creative use of the customizable CSS files.

My own primary interest is displaying my photos for friends, special interest groups and family and I like being able to create multiple sub-galleries and organizing my work. As an example, being able to combine individual images and sub-galleries on one page is a very useful feature already here.

I would like to see:
* Better attention and communication with regard to customer support issues
* A choice of two or three sizes on thumbnail size (there have been hints that may halfway exist)
* Perhaps one more "defined" size larger than 800 pixels -- maybe 1024 -- to accommodate the ever increasing size and resolution of monitors
* Customizable/editable camera/film/lens pulldown lists at the user editor level
* Better (faster) response to requests for camera/film/lens database additions

But this is just basic stuff, much of which would be considered good business practice and not what I would consider a "big change."

DaveT

zippo

Post Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:18 pm

mardoli wrote:
zippo wrote:

I see. I suppose you mean the default size, which now is 800 px for the longest side.
But already now you can upload all the sizes you like, even very large ones, and they will be available to every viewer just selecting the "original" button under the picture itself.
You are not obliged to upload only photos with a smaller size.
As for the layouts I suppose that, since every user has full control of their own page layout, PBase management has neglected to create other available standard layouts.
But even people who don't know that much about HTML and CSS, can change easily the colours of the available layouts, if I remember correctly, if you go in edit mode to edit your CSS, you have the option to variablize colours, which doesn't need any particular knowledge of CSS.
Besides all that you can find many members of PBase happy to help you to personalized your pages layouts here in the forum.
As far as I know no other photography sites allow such a huge control of the way one can display photo galleries.

I know how the customizable CSS files works, look at my page, and more then 1024 pix would look much better, one year payment, no limits, i pay 45 dolar each 2 months, since a few years i joined smugmug pro for 75 dollar a year, no limits

By the way I have noticed that you personalized your profile page layout, it means you know how to do it and also all your galleries are nicely personalized.
So I wonder why you are not happy with this possibility offered by PBase, which you can use easily.
As for one year's payments, I humbly admit I have not understood what you mean, since we already pay once a year.
I suppose you are speaking of the different fee according to the different space we occupy.
Then, quoting Karen,
Change for the sake of change is not always progress

I know PBase is not perfect and, personally, I'd prefer to have a better organized customer support, just to mention one change, which I'd see like a real improvement.
But I humbly disagree that for 12 years nothing has really changed.
Maybe they have been light changes only or maybe they have not been of interest for you. But all is so relative.
It's difficult to satisfy every customer, because we have all different priorities.
I think it's positive that PBase keeps on with its particular features instead of copying other sites.
Maybe many people still stay here exactly for this reason.

lambsfeathers

Post Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 pm

Just make geotagging work the way it used to. That would make so many people happy.

philinnz

Post Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:29 am

The only change I want to see is photos displaying correctly, and not just a black screen. I have tried logging out, then logging in, I have tried different web browsers, I have tried different hardware from Ipads to desktops to laptops. Always, with some images, black screens. It needs to be fixed properly

robertwhite

Post Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:32 am

No big changes please just a couple of minor tweaks to make life a little easier would be nice like making the camera and lens list editable so that we can remove old stuff
Small things can make a big improvement

Board index PBase Feature Requests Big Change please