Board index PBase Feature Requests Updating camera type search?

Feature Requests

Updating camera type search?

Request changes or modifications.
smith_xt

Updating camera type search?

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:41 pm

So when might the new camera manufactures models be updated, along with lens? For example the Canon 6D has been out since December ... :?

dw_thomas

Re: Updating camera type search?

Post Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:22 pm

The camera database appears to be the poor stepchild of this operation, but in theory, one can send a request to cameras@pbase.com requesting something be added. That would seem to be the most obvious approach. My (limited) experience has been it may take more than one request and several weeks before anything happens. I was successful after two tries in getting the Canon G15 added a month or so back, but it took over a month.

I'm not sure if they search through Exif data from uploads looking for new cameras or not. I suppose they could, but that might run the risk of not everyone using a consistent identifier. The email I received acknowledging they added the G15 stated:
Images tagged with this camera will appear in
the random photos after the next system update.
but I read that as implying only after they added the camera to some magic list.

After about a month beyond that email, I saw nothing picked up, so I went through and updated from the Camera List pull-down where it did indeed show up. I'm afraid my understanding of what constitutes a "system update" is lacking. It could mean the next major rev of the operating code, or it could mean some sort of periodic scan of what's out here. From what I can see, even the update scans for hit counts are erratic as all get-out.

I like what's here, when it's working, but I tend to get the impression we're in the midst of a hobby project that was so successful it overwhelmed its originators!

DaveT

dougj

Post Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:51 am

The camera & lens database updates have been haphazard at best for the past few years. This in spite of numerous emails sent via the recommended route, and emails directly to Slug & Emily.

My last interaction with PBase on this was a couple of years ago, and it took a virtual blitz of emails to get a Sony body listed. When listed, the admin didn't include the image of the body, and his action was clearly taken simply to make the problem (emails) go away. I never received a reply from PBase to my emails.

Good luck getting a new body or lens listed, or a reply from PBase.

smith_xt

Post Sat May 11, 2013 1:39 pm

Typical! ... sent email and get no reply ... :evil: ... WTH did I just renew for another year ... :?

sdommin

Post Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm looking for some updates, too. What is going on with this site?
Scott

-------------------------------------------------

http://www.pbase.com/sdommin/favorites

smith_xt

Post Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:11 am

Well I guess I'll say thanks for finally taking care of this.

Board index PBase Feature Requests Updating camera type search?