Board index PBase Feature Requests Pbase redesign?

Feature Requests

Pbase redesign?

Request changes or modifications.
egc128

Pbase redesign?

Post Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:11 pm

When is Pbase going to redesign their website? It's been almost 10 years with the same design. It is getting boring. No social networking integration. 500px.com was redesigned and looks better, same with fickr. So many are leaving Pbase.

rsbfotos

Re: Pbase redesign?

Post Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:17 am

I for one prefer the Pbase design, especially compared to flick-er. Didn't know about 500px until you mentioned it. Looked at the format and it's ok - at least better than flick-er.
And for myself, I can care less about all the "social network" nonsense on the internet.
Just my humble opinion.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

mardoli

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:10 am

I cannot agree more with 10kzoomfz! Definitely PBase design is pleasantly different from all the standard look of Flickr, Picasa and most of other photography sites.
It’s sober and free from disturbing and flashy advertising signs.
Then, last but absolutely not least, it allows people to create fully personalized layouts for their galleries.
Ah,yes…I’m another one who really could not care less for networking integration.
People who enjoy “social networks” can spend hours there every day, have fun adding post and photos and so on, but I don’t see any particular reason for adding flashy buttons for those applications necessarily in every website.
PBase was conceived as photography site, it’s not a social network and I hope to see it remaining the way it is.
Just my humble opinion too ;^))
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

egc128

Post Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:44 pm

One good thing is that flickr works with Adobe Lightroom, Apple's Aperture and Iphoto. Adobe's lightroom is great for organizing, non-distructive photo editing and uploading direct to Flickr all in one application. It even syncs user comments from Flickr back to lightroom. If you make changes to photos after uploading, lightroom will republish the photos. Lightroom and flickr speeds up the photography workflow. Pbase should at least develop a pluging for Lightroom and Iphoto similar to http://500px.com/apps

We have a choice, stay with the old pbase or switch to other websites.

ac

Post Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:05 am

Can't agree more egc128.
Look here : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=45772

ac

dw_thomas

Post Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:07 am

OK, I admit it up front -- I'm a Curmudgeonly Olde Farte. :?

But my interest in PBase was always for an organized photo album with a nice flexible directory hierarchy, not social networking, not food recipes, not linking to my electric razor, not . . . I think you get the idea. And there's no USB port on my Argus C3 or my Voigtländer Perkeo II, I'm used to a few intermediate steps. :mrgreen:

I'm pretty pleased with the new drag & drop editor -- I'm not opposed to change just because it's change, but I find it difficult to get enthusiastic about the link everystuff to everystuff mentality that appears to be growing exponentially in cyberspace.

I would also like to see any available development effort first go into curing the occasional random slowdowns, getting the hit counts regular and reliable etc. That is, make PBase run to its current specs reliably.

But yeah, that's just me ....

DaveT

egc128

Post Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:32 pm

dw_thomas

Have you tried Adobe Photoshop Light room 4? Adobe reduced the price to $150. You can download a free 30 day trial to try it out. Editing on Pbase is not the same as in Photoshop.

dw_thomas

Post Sat May 05, 2012 3:38 am

egc128 wrote:dw_thomas

Have you tried Adobe Photoshop Light room 4? Adobe reduced the price to $150. You can download a free 30 day trial to try it out. Editing on Pbase is not the same as in Photoshop.

Hmm, no I haven't tried Light Room, but I'm not sure where you're going here. I do my photo editing with Photoshop Elements (8). The editor I speak of above is the PBase app to put together my PBase galleries, sub-galleries, captioning etc. And there are recent posts in this forum complaining about the lack of upload capability from LR 4 so that doesn't sound like an advantage. So far PE8 seems to do about anything I've wanted to do with my actual photos -- I can buy a lot of film and/or print paper (or CF cards) with $150! :D

DaveT

panos

Post Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:47 am

I just opened the Recent Galleries and Popular Galleries sections, and within a few minutes was wondering what went wrong with the interface.
The previous designs worked, so why fix them?

ac

Post Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:59 pm

Agree with you panos !

cits_4_pets

Post Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:36 am

Could not have said it better! I also refuse to leave comments on a site where I have to register and get more cookies and spam...(no pun intended for cookies and spam...)
I like the look of Pbase, which allows for individuality though I myself don't make elaborate looking galleries designs.
Keep this a photo site.

mardoli wrote:I cannot agree more with 10kzoomfz! Definitely PBase design is pleasantly different from all the standard look of Flickr, Picasa and most of other photography sites.
It’s sober and free from disturbing and flashy advertising signs.
Then, last but absolutely not least, it allows people to create fully personalized layouts for their galleries.
Ah,yes…I’m another one who really could not care less for networking integration.
People who enjoy “social networks” can spend hours there every day, have fun adding post and photos and so on, but I don’t see any particular reason for adding flashy buttons for those applications necessarily in every website.
PBase was conceived as photography site, it’s not a social network and I hope to see it remaining the way it is.
Just my humble opinion too ;^))
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

Board index PBase Feature Requests Pbase redesign?