Board index PBase Feature Requests Who will be interested?

Feature Requests

Who will be interested?

Request changes or modifications.
srijith

Who will be interested?

Post Sun Dec 21, 2003 11:53 pm

I am working on a Windows based application that allows you to right click a file (image or zip) and choose to upload it into your pbase inbox without having to open the browser!

Will anybody be interested enough to use it? :)

Of course, once you upload the image you will have to visit pbase using a normal browser and edit the image properties, move it to a proper gallery etc.

This application is specifically meant for people who have been asking for a FTP upload feature for pbase.com. Though not FTP per-say, this application works in a similar way in features.

Enhancement I am considering putting in is the ability to choose the gallery to upload the images to and even create the gallery if it does not exists in your account.

Please note: This project is my personal project and has no official approval from pbase.com team. However I promise that your accounts will remain safe from accidental delete etc. :)

Let me know if you are interested, as replies to this thread.

framewerkz

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 1:39 am

Sounds interesting... but the Expanded Upload Mode allows for batch updates anyway?

srijith

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:03 am

Yes it does. This app I have in mind is for people who wants the functionality to just right click a file on his/her local machine and select "upload to pbase" and get it into their pbase account.

Just another way to upload. That is all :)

joesimages

Re: Who will be interested?

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:09 am

I would definitely. Is this something you would work in conjunction with the pbase folks on?

srijith

Re: Who will be interested?

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:15 am

joesimages wrote:I would definitely. Is this something you would work in conjunction with the pbase folks on?

Have sent them an email. Waiting for a reply. Hopefully we can work together. It will be do much easier for me, if they can expose some API calls etc.

george_iii

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 2:26 am

It would be an interesting project, a cool feature could be for it to resize the photo before upload.

I don't have a huge desire for such an application, but would be willing to test it.

srijith

Presenting PbaseUpload

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 7:43 am

Please head down to http://www.srijith.net/codes/pbaseupload/ to download the version 0.1 (build 6) of PbaseUpload! Works with Windows XP and Widows 2000.

Do let me know if you run into any trouble. The installation file is slightly large for now, but hopefully I will be able to decrease the size as the project evolves.

jchambers

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:32 am

cheers srijith!

I tried this, and it does seem to work as you promised. So far I like it, I'll test it out for a while.

It would be great to throw the picture staight into a selected gallery, maybe a sub-menu after the "Inbox" option which has a list of your current gallery.

Ah, but I'm happy with what you've already done! Thanks.

trwtrw

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:00 pm

Will we be able to upload multiple pictures together? Or will it still be one-at-a-time as it is now in "expanded upload mode?"
Tom Ward

srijith

Post Mon Dec 22, 2003 12:05 pm

As of now you cannot select multiple files. Frankly I am not sure! You might actually be able to do it. Try it out :)

But you can easily zip the files and then send in the zip file. That will be the easiet way I guess :)

srijith

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 6:43 am

Version 0.2 (build 23) supports upload to any gallery situated just below the root, thus you are not restricted to upload only to Inbox. You can also create the gallery if it does not exist!

srijith

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 9:38 am

trwtrw wrote:Will we be able to upload multiple pictures together? Or will it still be one-at-a-time as it is now in "expanded upload mode?"

Just to clarify: how do you want the application to handle multiple uploads? Suppose you want to send Img1.jpg to album "album1" and Img2.jpg to "album2".

If the idea is again to be able to right-click the images to be uploaded, how do you want to specify which images goes into which album. As of now, the application asks the user to select the gallery to upload to. But this is not scalable when using multiple images since specifying lie that for 20 images will be too tedious.

Let me know how you want the application to work.

trwtrw

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 3:30 pm

I guess a selected group of pictures would only go to one gallery at a time. Some of the other photo sites allow this and it speeds the process up greatly. The curent system is quite time consuming, however it does cause one to be more selective in the number of pics posted in the galleries. So I guess there are two ways to look at it.
Tom Ward

srijith

Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:49 pm

trwtrw wrote:I guess a selected group of pictures would only go to one gallery at a time. Some of the other photo sites allow this and it speeds the process up greatly. The curent system is quite time consuming, however it does cause one to be more selective in the number of pics posted in the galleries. So I guess there are two ways to look at it.

But if all the pictures are bound for one gallery, won't it be so much easlier to zip them up together and the upload (either through web or using my app) the zip file into the gallery?

Or is it the zip creation process that is creating the problem?

-S_

olliemaitland

Post Sat Dec 27, 2003 10:20 am

Excellent program...

My only suggestion would be to have the ability to loop back up the option menu, this would make it quite nice.

Also a progress counter would be very cool for the uploading part.

Thanks very much for this!

Are you thinking of releasing the source?

Board index PBase Feature Requests Who will be interested?