Board index PBase Feature Requests Cool things you can do with your pbase favorite artist list

Feature Requests

Cool things you can do with your pbase favorite artist list

Request changes or modifications.
srijith

Cool things you can do with your pbase favorite artist list

Post Wed Oct 29, 2003 2:46 am

Every user of pbase can maintain a list of their fav. artists on pbase, giving them a sort of bookmark to these artist's galleries. However, these lists are private, in that no other user can see your list.

In one of my feature request and correspondence with slug, I had pushed the idea of being able to the share this list. You can do a couple of cool things with this data. You can use it to discover new artists and meet new friends. To get an idea of one example, head down to this URL:

http://www.semaview.com/foafwalk/viewer ... rijith.rdf

NoteThis page loads a Java applet that requires JRE 1.3+ and loads up a couple of large classes. So it will be a bit slow. Hence people on dialups please don't try this :) You will have to be satisfied with this image below:
The image shows that the user "Srijith" has "Bob The Cool", "Slug the Admin", "Alice Surname" and "Shina" in his list of fav. artists. Alice has Shina, Slug, Tiger Khan and Chang Ying in her list.

This way Srijith can discover new users Tiger Khan and Chang Ying and be quiet confident that he will like their work since Srijith and Tiger are seperated only by one degree of seperation (Alice). Notice also that Bob has Srijith and Srijith has Bob in their list. So they like each other's work.

For those who can go to the above mentioned URL, you can get this final effect by double clicking on Alice and Bob.

I hope pbase team finds this interesting and can implement something like this. Ofcourse this can also be implemented without an applet, just using text data to show the links.

For technically curious
This whole things is done using RDF parsing. Since this is a very rough example, I have borrowed/used the name space from Friend-Of-A-Friend (FOAF) project (http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/).

srijith

Post Thu Oct 30, 2003 3:06 am

Now that you know what is posible, can some of you volunteer your fav artist list? It would be great to see how this evolves in a real life situation.

So if you don't mind being the "test subject", please feel free to forward your fav. artist list (the pbase username of the artists would do) to me either via the forum IM system or Pbase inbox. My username is "srijith".

If I have enough response, I will post the result of this small experiment online.

(Note that if you are uncomfortable with sharing your list with others, please do not partcipate.)

glenneroo

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 8:11 pm

in concept just like friendster.com ....not a bad idea at all, people on pbase don't communicate very much like a lot of other arist sites, like devianart or fotop, nor are they in any way encouraged to communicate. :roll:

srijith

Post Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:15 pm

Yup, just like Friendster. However, I have given up hope on this project since not many people have volunteered their list nor has the pbase team provided any way to expose the list. So as of now, it is in doldrums.

minoltaman

Post Tue Dec 09, 2003 12:22 am

I'm still in. PM me if you ever get enough supporting contributers. I like to communicate. :)

Cheers

Board index PBase Feature Requests Cool things you can do with your pbase favorite artist list