Board index PBase Questions and Answers Help, I am a pc dummy !

Questions and Answers

Help, I am a pc dummy !

Ask if you need help using PBase.
manco

Help, I am a pc dummy !

Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 6:58 pm

I just registered for a free trial but cannot upload any images. I browse, choose a zip archive file with my pics on, click the 'upload image' button to add the images, conform your instructions, but nothing happens...What do I forget or do I wrong ? My pc is running Windows Millenium and is equipped with Norton Internet Security. Thanks for any help.

thresholdprod

Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:10 pm

What is the size of the zip file? You have a 10mb limit for your account.

Can you upload single photos or use the expanded upload mode?

After that, what happens exactly when you click the upload images buttton? Does the page change any? does it attempt to upload with the status bar and or modem lights showing transfer happening?

manco

Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 7:42 pm

The zip file is abt 6 mb. Tried to upload a single image but that failed too. When clicking the upload image button there is no reaction whatsoever.

thresholdprod

Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 11:08 pm

Have you tried lowering your security settings? From high to a medium.
What type of firewall are you running?

manco

Post Sun Sep 21, 2003 2:46 pm

Security settings are at medium. Even at low level no change. The active firewall is the Norton Personal Firewall.

thresholdprod

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:05 am

I assumed you are still trying?
(just to rule out a server glitch or load issue)

Which browser are you using?

ilanphoto

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:33 am

manco wrote:The zip file is abt 6 mb. Tried to upload a single image but that failed too. When clicking the upload image button there is no reaction whatsoever.

When you load a zip file of 6mb. you will need 12MB to extract the data (6MB for the zip fila and at least 6 for the data within) As you are limited to 10MB maybe there is no place to extract the pictures
Try loading a much smaller Zip file and see if it works
Hope that helps
Ilan

srijith

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:06 am

ilanphoto wrote:When you load a zip file of 6mb. you will need 12MB to extract the data (6MB for the zip fila and at least 6 for the data within) As you are limited to 10MB maybe there is no place to extract the pictures
Hope that helps
Ilan

Hm.. couple of problems.. first of all, manco did say that he tried uploading one file at a time. It did not work.

Second, I am quiet sure pbase does not calculate the space limit like that. If I am assuming correctly, pbase will only use the size of the image inside the zip file for its calculation of space used. The actual zip file size is not considered for calculation.

From all the symptoms, it looks like a firewall/proxy problem, especially since the user is not even getting any reply from the pbase server.

ilanphoto

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:09 pm

srijith wrote:
ilanphoto wrote:When you load a zip file of 6mb. you will need 12MB to extract the data (6MB for the zip fila and at least 6 for the data within) As you are limited to 10MB maybe there is no place to extract the pictures
Hope that helps
Ilan

Hm.. couple of problems.. first of all, manco did say that he tried uploading one file at a time. It did not work.

Second, I am quiet sure pbase does not calculate the space limit like that. If I am assuming correctly, pbase will only use the size of the image inside the zip file for its calculation of space used. The actual zip file size is not considered for calculation.

From all the symptoms, it looks like a firewall/proxy problem, especially since the user is not even getting any reply from the pbase server.

Unlike you, I can not help with firewall problems, all I can help with is maths up to the level of 2*6 > 10 :D

manco

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:08 pm

Thank you guys. By way of trial and error, finally succeeded in loading the pics one by one. Batch uploading hopeless however.

thresholdprod

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:03 pm

That really sounds like a firewall conflict issue. Are you just using Norton's? Do you have window's version and/or zone alarm running also?
A quickie test of disabling it for an upload test would sort things quickly. I know its not the best advice/safest but the expsoure risk is very low for a quick test.

That's one of the biggest problems with security,to keep the bad guys at bay you have to punish the good guys.

Bill
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/purgatorytheshow/

srijith

Post Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:05 pm

As thresholdprod mentioned, there have been a couple of people who have had issues with Zone Alarm and huge file upload and download (viewing).

So you can try to disable ZA for a sec and see if it works.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Help, I am a pc dummy !