Board index PBase Questions and Answers showing gallery images in their original size only ?

Questions and Answers

showing gallery images in their original size only ?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
bmplan

showing gallery images in their original size only ?

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:51 am

I upload most of my pictures in 800x600 format. Whenever I view my images afterward, they appear much smaller and i guess it is so for my visitors too. I already know that I can change the viewing size to "original" by clicking that option underneath an image. What I'd like to know is, is there a way to lock the viewing size to "original" without the other size options ?

I'm sure some of my visitors probably think that the small image they see is what I have uploaded and don't even know they can view them at maximum size and quality. It would be nice to just remove the other size choices as an option.

Thanks for your help.

-Michel

thresholdprod

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:59 am

There is no option for this. If you feel you guests may not see/understand the links at the bottom, you can always explain it in the gallery header

juliano

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:11 am

Michel,
When I viewed your photos they show up as "original" size on my screen.

bmplan

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:46 pm

Anonymous wrote:Michel,

Thanks. In my case, sometimes they appear at their full size and sometimes not. The only thing I can do as the previous user suggested is point out to my guests that they have to manually click on "original" as the size setting. Still, it would be nice to be able to lock it at original all the time if wanted.

-Michel

thresholdprod

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:03 pm

Original size is what you want. Not necessarily what option your guests/viewer wants. Let other people make their choices for how they want their web experience to be. Some want detail and some want speed.....

Would you like it if I forced you to view things only a certain way?

srijith

Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 11:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:Michel,

I think pbase starts with large size and if the viewer decides to change it to say "medium", then serves the rest using "medium" as preferences. It does it using cookies. So if you user wants to see it as original, he/she needs to only choose one "Original" size image and the rest are served automatically as "Original"

juliano

Post Sat Sep 20, 2003 12:09 am

thresholdprod wrote:Original size is what you want. Not necessarily what option your guests/viewer wants. Let other people make their choices for how they want their web experience to be. Some want detail and some want speed.....

Would you like it if I forced you to view things only a certain way?

First off, an answer to your question. It very much depends on what you mean by THINGS. If you mean seeing your photos exactly the way you uploaded them here, I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, I'd prefer it. If they were so large in file size that they would take an eternity to download and view, I would simply skip your gallery.

I'm not trying to force anything on anybody. Your logic simply doesn't apply to an online photo or art gallery containing media that has been decently resized and compressed for the web.

Some people are not very internet savy and may not even see that there is a size choice. they may assume that what they see is my final photograph. Heck, some of my visitors can't read english properly. I believe that given a choice, they would much rather see the pictures at a decent size and get some detail. This is what most of them say. That is why I'd like to "lock" the size at original and avoid any potential confusion.

Have you ever been on http://www.photosig.com ? No size option there. You click on the thumbnail and the photo appears as the artist intended it to be seen. Would you condemn the photosig staff because they don't offer size choices ? Or the peolple who post there ? I'm not bashing PBase. I wouldn't be a supporting member if I didn't like it. I was just asking a question and making a suggestion for a possible future option. Peace

Board index PBase Questions and Answers showing gallery images in their original size only ?