Board index PBase Questions and Answers Downloading pics from others?

Questions and Answers

Downloading pics from others?

Ask if you need help using PBase.
John

Downloading pics from others?

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 12:53 pm

If I start an account and upload my pics, can they be taken by others? Or does PBase somehow protect against that?

John

srijith

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:36 pm

Nope.. Pbase does not protect images. Any image that is viewable by general public can be downloaded and used by others. I don't think *any* website can provide the guarantee that it will protect the images from wrong(?) use.

Having said that you can make your gallery private and give out the URLs to only people you trust.

Hey .. this is my 200th posts.. yahoo!

parklifer

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:19 pm

The day you put an image online is the day that it becomes potentially accessible to all! You can, of course, take sensible precautions like keeping the URL to those people you want to view your pics. However, that' doesn't stop your pictures appearing - just when you least expect them - as the result of often quite random search engine enquiries. Because anyone searching for "images" (of whatever) might well find themselves viewing yours!

pixel_eye

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:48 pm

If you're worried about others nicking your images then only post low resolution versions and watermark them with a copyright statement (it can be removed but may deter casual 'thieves') - as most images on the web are displayed at low resolutions (72dpi) then the loss of any sharpness won't be noticed.

Someone on the old forum reported seeing one of their pictures from their gallery hanging on someones office wall - I can't remember if he was flattered or pee'd off!!

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Downloading pics from others?