Questions and Answers

Photo quality

Ask if you need help using PBase.
violetskiles

Photo quality

Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 2:55 pm

Is there a reason why my photos appeared to have a higher quality and
less pixeling last night (even the thumbnails were clearer) ... it was after
I became a paying customer..... than they do when I look at them today?
I might be wrong, but they looked much better in my gallery last night.

srijith

Post Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:42 pm

Hmm.. strange, didn't know there was a difference in pic quality for paying and non-paying. Maybe there was a glitch and slug and team re-rendered the affected photos?

violetskiles

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:54 am

I don't know what happened, but there was a striking difference.
Even the thumbnails looked clear. I wish it would have lasted!
Does anyone have a good recipe for what size and image opitmization
to use, specifically in Photoshop's "Save For Web" option? In viewing
others photo galleries, some are much clearer and have less pixelization than others, and I'm sure it is due to how they are sized and saved, and probably color profiles used.

srijith

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:01 am

I am no pro. Heck, I am a noobee :) But I am full of advises and so here it goes. I usually follow the following process in PS
1 - Automatic Brightenss, Color and Contrast control
2 - Resize to about 600x400 or 600x450.
3 - Save for web - jpeg, about 50~60 quality. I usually try to keep the file size to a max of 50K and the quality chosen depends on that.

I am sure this is no the best way, but hey, I am pleased with what I see - http://pbase.com/srijith/ :)

realkuhl

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:21 am

srijith wrote:I am no pro. Heck, I am a noobee :) But I am full of advises and so here it goes. I usually follow the following process in PS
1 - Automatic Brightenss, Color and Contrast control
2 - Resize to about 600x400 or 600x450.
3 - Save for web - jpeg, about 50~60 quality. I usually try to keep the file size to a max of 50K and the quality chosen depends on that.

I am sure this is no the best way, but hey, I am pleased with what I see - http://pbase.com/srijith/ :)

I would strongly suggest NOT "save for web" for saving images. It strips out the EXIF data so that pbase doesn't know what camera you used. This removes you from a number of the search engine abilities of pbase.

Resizing to 800 pixels seems the smartest since that = Large size and it's big enough for people with larger than 15" monitors. A 600 pixel image is too small in my opinion.

Hope this helps.
-John Lehmkuhl
http://www.pbase.com/realkuhl

srijith

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 5:34 am

realkuhl wrote:I would strongly suggest NOT "save for web" for saving images. It strips out the EXIF data so that pbase doesn't know what camera you used. This removes you from a number of the search engine abilities of pbase.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention, I don't care about the exif data and also don't care about eye balls I miss of people who may have seen my photos based on a search result for a camera model. I care more about the compression to quality ratio that I get in "Save for web".
realkuhl wrote:Resizing to 800 pixels seems the smartest since that = Large size and it's big enough for people with larger than 15" monitors. A 600 pixel image is too small in my opinion.

But I do care about illegal use, including illegal printing.

parklifer

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:13 am

I'm not at all fussed about stripping out the exif data either nor particularly bothered about PBase knowing what camera I use. I'm quite happy to tell anyone it's a Fuji S2 if they're at all interested! With the file size that my originals come in at (by choice) resizing to 800 pixels alone still leaves a hefty sized file and accompanyingly cumbersome download. But apart from anything else, at web res of 72 ppi the real quality comes not from a gallery view but when the originals are printed. So if you've got "save for web" consider using it.

As for altering brightness/contrast, "auto" can be a hit or miss option and a little curve adjustment often gives a better result.

violetskiles

Image size

Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 3:32 pm

I appreciate the replies about what size to make the images for posting on-line. I had made mine about 480ppi for the widest edge and saved
at 100 quality, I'll try doing some at other settings to see the difference.
The pixelizaton seems to be the most noticeable on people photos, which
all of mine are in my gallery so far, since it's my daughters wedding.

Srijith, I wanted to tell you how much I like your photos in your Pulau Tioman gallery, they are amazing, the landscapes and seascapes look
like beautiful oil paintings. As I'm an oil and watercolor artist, I have enjoyed viewing them!

srijith

Re: Image size

Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:54 am

violetskiles wrote:Srijith, I wanted to tell you how much I like your photos in your Pulau Tioman gallery, they are amazing, the landscapes and seascapes look like beautiful oil paintings. As I'm an oil and watercolor artist, I have enjoyed viewing them!

Thanks a lot :D! Now, thats an incentive for helping out in pbase forums.. you can keep on dropping ur gallery URL in comments and get nice comments from people :P

menno

Post Wed Sep 24, 2003 5:46 pm

Sorry, don't feel insulted but don't underestimate the importance of influence of light surrounding you. You said 'last night' they looked better. Well, evenings and night do indeed make pictures look brighter and clearer. 'Today' (during the day??) might be during daylight and that gives a totally different kind of vision. Often way less contrast and clearity (the way your eyes see it, of course pictures remain the same). Sorry for this stupid reply I just felt like sharing my op.:S

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Photo quality