Board index PBase Questions and Answers My PBase is all messed up.

Questions and Answers

My PBase is all messed up.

Ask if you need help using PBase.
sogen

My PBase is all messed up.

Post Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi you all, administrator or/and members,

I made a wrong move and now my PBase does not work well anymore. Is there a way that I could go back to a previous date when evrything was right , like Restauration in Wndows ?
I have been a member for more than 10 years, and I never thought that this application is user friendly when one is having huge problems.

Thank you for your concern

Suzanne Lanthier

dw_thomas

Re: My PBase is all messed up.

Post Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:39 pm

In a quick look, I am able to see all sorts of photos and my sense is your galleries are working as I would expect -- you have some nice work out there. You haven't really described what you mean by "messed up." Perhaps some specific examples might help. Is it with viewing, or uploading, or ?? I don't think PBase has anything like restore points, they seem to have enough trouble keeping the basics operating.

I'm on a Windows 7 system and have avoided Win 8 and 10 thus far so I can't check with those OSes -- perhaps there is something amiss with the computer at your end. I also took a quick look with my iPad tablet and things seemed normal. Depending on what the specific problems are, perhaps you could try accessing from another machine at a library or friend's house and see if things are different?

Good luck with it,
DaveT

richo

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:20 am

sogen wrote:Hi you all, administrator or/and members,

I made a wrong move and now my PBase does not work well anymore. Is there a way that I could go back to a previous date when evrything was right , like Restauration in Wndows ?
I have been a member for more than 10 years, and I never thought that this application is user friendly when one is having huge problems.

Thank you for your concern

Suzanne Lanthier

As Dave pointed out, I do not see what is wrong with your galleries. Try using an in private browsing session or access your galleries using a different device. If it looks okay on a different device or in private session then clear your cookies and browser cache.

sogen

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 2:37 pm

Hello everyone,

I will try to explain, I am French speaking and do not trust Google for translating.

My problem: I cannot upload photos to any gallery. In the field "file" I have this message "Fake path"
This situation occured after trying to move a gallery around using "Something new". Maybe I did not click "Sequencing" for the gallery did not drop at the end of the galleries but inside the last gallery. I tried creating a new gallery and dragged and dropped the photos in this new gallery. I tried the old way of sequencing but I am not sure at what time the problem occured of not being able to upload photos. Also, if I want to edit a gallery, I have displays different prio to the time the problem occured.

I tried fixing things with what I know, and I do not think that PBase is "user friendly". Needless to say that the administrators if any, do not answer demands from their paying members.
I have tried logging in from a different device and yet, same problem.
The "tree view" shows some sub galleries.
I am a bit desperate, I have a technician who is very busy and it coould take a while to get help.

Thanks for trying to help,

Suzanne

dw_thomas

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 5:41 pm

In the field "file" I have this message "Fake path"

I believe that is normal. I see that when I am dragging files from Windows Explorer to the 'Browse' button to upload them. It is something that appeared within the past month or two and I think is just some programmer's idea of a clever (but not very informative) alias for the file path on the user's local system. Even with the "fake path" I have been able to upload OK. (So I think that specific item is not a problem.)

This situation occurred after trying to move a gallery around using "Something new".

Is that "something new" an exact quote or is the actual phrase "Create new gallery"? (I'm just trying to sort out where you are in the process.)

I have to admit I tend to stay with very basic operations on PBase. With the drag and drop editor I usually just manually slide the files around to the order I want. That is made easier by the fact that my filenames typically have a numerical prefix that puts them in the order I want. I have observed that the actual upload process often for unknown reason switches around a few files near the beginning and end of a block.

Another note about uploads: A year or two back one could select a block of files on their system and drag them to the uploader 'Browse' button to get a list of filenames ready to go. Along the way that has disappeared and one has to drag one filename at a time; one can still build a list before uploading, but cannot drag a block of names in one shot.

richo makes a good point about clearing your browser cache. These processes use all sorts of magic scripts which wind up in your local cache; if somehow one of them gets corrupted, it will get re-used and keep messing things up.

You have not told us what computer/OS and browser (and versions) you are using. Richo knows this web stuff at a far more detailed level than I do, but sometimes there are known problems with certain versions and it can be useful for a potential helper to know which ones you are using.

(And the English you produced here is way better than my non-existent French! :D )
DaveT

sogen

Post Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Hi everyone

-"Fake path": I do not get this message when posting an image through "Inbox" but I get the message with Edit gallery, and Edit picture

-"Something new" is a new thing since a couple of years to sequence etc, the galleries and photos. It appears on top of the edit gallery or edit image: Something new
Check out the drag-n-drop edit tool
at http://www.pbase.com/edit
I use this for sequencing, more user friendly than the the old edit drag and drop.

-I cleared the "Browser cache"

-OS Win 10 Browser Google Chrome

I still think that the moving around from "Drag and drop" editor to "Something new" could be the cause of this mishmash situation.

dw_thomas

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:49 pm

Hmmm ... This is the second time in the past year that I am apparently not seeing what other people are seeing! I'm using Firefox 54.0.1 on Win7x64. I normally use the Drag and Drop editor as my default. I just tried Internet Explorer and saw the same results.

On my iPad, in Safari, the editor defaults to the old style edit and clicking the link to switch to Drop and Drag has no effect.

So I fear we have exhausted my knowledge on the topic! To the good side, a news flash line is saying we now get 2GB storage for $23 a year.

The other thing I notice, which I think I would have noticed long before this if it was there. In Drag and Drop, when 'Content' is showing all the thumbnails, if I move the cursor over a thumbnail, under the "Selection: " line in the panel at the top, a second line appears with "Image: ", the title of the image, the size in pixels and in bytes, and the number of hits. Never noticed that before, so that might actually mean there is still somebody alive at headquarters and they are actually working on something. :D

I'm sorry I don't seem to be able to offer any real help. I can only recommend logging out of PBase, and as richo suggests, clearing the browser cache AND any cookies related to PBase, then logging in again.

Oh, one other thing I've noticed with the drag & drop editor, if one clicks on other galleries in the tree displayed in the left hand panel, the edit panel sometimes doesn't appear to keep track of where it is operating.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:44 pm

If you are still using the old editor, there is a message at the top recommending that you transition to "Something New" - the drag-and-drop editor. So, if you use the drag-and-drop editor already, you'll have no idea what this is about. I believe the "Fake path" thing is browser or operating system specific. It's nothing to worry about.

Suzanne,

I am sending you an email to help with troubleshooting your problem.

Thanks,
Emily

dw_thomas

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:46 am

emily wrote:If you are still using the old editor, there is a message at the top recommending that you transition to "Something New" - the drag-and-drop editor. So, if you use the drag-and-drop editor already, you'll have no idea what this is about. I believe the "Fake path" thing is browser or operating system specific. It's nothing to worry about.
[snip]
Thanks,
Emily

Ah! Thanks Emily. good to see you appear -- and gratifying to know I haven't been hallucinating! :shock:
My account is set to default to the newer drop and drag, so I'd guess that skips the message.

DaveT

sogen

Post Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:55 pm

emily wrote:If you are still using the old editor, there is a message at the top recommending that you transition to "Something New" - the drag-and-drop editor. So, if you use the drag-and-drop editor already, you'll have no idea what this is about. I believe the "Fake path" thing is browser or operating system specific. It's nothing to worry about.

Suzanne,

I am sending you an email to help with troubleshooting your problem.

Thanks,
Emily

Great to see again, Emily

Board index PBase Questions and Answers My PBase is all messed up.