Board index PBase Questions and Answers Goodbye Pbase

Questions and Answers

Goodbye Pbase

Ask if you need help using PBase.
reticulatus

Re: Goodbye Pbase

Post Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:38 pm

asianodyssey wrote:As a layman in terms of computer coding I am confused as to why the owners of PBase can't adapt the site to become mobile friendly. i.e. with a swipeable interface, and where the images snap to (i.e. can fill) the resolution of whatever device they are being viewed on. Or at least offer a choice of viewing options in that context. Is that such a technical challenge? Can someone explain that? Those would address the principal grievances of many.

I don't think it is a question of how technically difficult it would be, but more a case of do the owners really care about the site? The almost total silence from them over the past few years suggests they do not.

Without knowing how the current Pbase code was created, it's not really possible to know how difficult it would be to make it 'mobile friendly'. If the code consists of tailored, commercial or open-source software packages, there may be additional software packages that could be added to provide the functionality, but I suspect even that would not be a trivial task. However, if the software has been hand crafted, in-house and was designed before smart phones were even a thing, then that would a totally different story and may not even be possible, without a major rewrite. The owners would have to estimate whether the new functionality would attract enough members to make the effort financially viable.

madlights

Post Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:29 am

I pay in a year for what a Pizza costs. So yeah customer relations could be better, mobile adaption would help etc. Customization that is possible for galleries is without precedence on any of the photo sites I've visited, and yes I've met many good friends and interesting photographers here. Worth a Pizza, I'd say so.

jypsee

Post Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:55 pm

Flickr just announced that I can only have 1000 photos or videos on a free account. Otherwise it's $49 a year. I get lots more views on Flickr than I do here...but I prefer pbase, for some things. Certainly not for the crappy resolution. Oh, well.

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Goodbye Pbase