Board index PBase Questions and Answers Others can't see complete gallery

Questions and Answers

Others can't see complete gallery

Ask if you need help using PBase.
gailb

Others can't see complete gallery

Post Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:36 pm

I created a gallery yesterday, which contains about 40 wedding photos that I took for a friend. I can see all the images, but when I send the link to others they see NO photos, or only a few. What is the problem and is there a way to resolve it? Thank you!

cits_4_pets

Re: Others can't see complete gallery

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:31 am

What is the link to the gallery? I looked at 'tree view' but could not find any with wedding as a gallery. Even private galleries should be listed.
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

gailb

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:37 am

Here's the link to the wedding gallery : http://www.pbase.com/gailb/wedding

dw_thomas

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:12 am

Contrary to cits_4_pets comment, I do not believe a private "[not public]" gallery will show in tree view unless you are logged in as the owner.

When I click your link, I see two rows of four images, then an empty row, then two images at the start of what would appear to be the fourth row. And that is it -- ten total.

Any chance you have made the missing individual images 'non-public'? I believe that would prevent their appearance to anyone other than yourself. If you log yourself out do you see your images? That would be another check.

I have a small hierarchy of galleries that are non-public, but you can see them if I give you the link, they just don't show in the indexing. The individual images within the galleries each have the box checked for "This image can be viewed by anyone." Without that, someone I send a link to cannot see them (I once did that to a disappointed family member! :( )

DaveT

cits_4_pets

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:13 am

When clicking on 'next' several images come up with "Must login as gailb to view this image." I had left him private messages earlier in the photo comment box about the empty row and the login message and that he must have had some private images. His gallery is not fully private since some images are visible so I would think the gallery would be visible in the tree view. Weird, maybe a glitch pbase when he uploaded the images. Images are in jpg so format is ok.
You are right that totally private galleries are not longer visible in tree form.

dw_thomas wrote:Contrary to cits_4_pets comment, I do not believe a private "[not public]" gallery will show in tree view unless you are logged in as the owner.

When I click your link, I see two rows of four images, then an empty row, then two images at the start of what would appear to be the fourth row. And that is it -- ten total.

Any chance you have made the missing individual images 'non-public'? I believe that would prevent their appearance to anyone other than yourself. If you log yourself out do you see your images? That would be another check.

I have a small hierarchy of galleries that are non-public, but you can see them if I give you the link, they just don't show in the indexing. The individual images within the galleries each have the box checked for "This image can be viewed by anyone." Without that, someone I send a link to cannot see them (I once did that to a disappointed family member! :( )

DaveT
Flo
Cits 4 Pets where Happy Pets Go with the Flo
http://www.pbase.com/cits_4_pets/
My Firefox Tthemes/skins for your web browser)

gailb

Fixed, but there's a second problem

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:42 am

First, thank you for taking time to look at the gallery. That is exactly what happened. "This image is publicly viewable" was unchecked for many photos, but how could this have happened? I did not uncheck them. I've been a pbase member for more than a decade and never had this problem. I should note that I originally password protected the gallery, but then removed the PW.

But, I do have the following problem:

When first realizing that some photos were not showing (prior to finding out that publicly viewable for some were unchecked), I created a new album and COPIED all the images from the first to the new gallery. So, I'd like to delete one gallery, but can't. I tested deleting one photo, and it was deleted from one gallery but not the other. I'm afraid to delete anything, in case I lose all the images. I have them offline so could upload them again but it took me a lot of time to order/reorder the 40+ images.

Is there a proper way/order to delete all the images, then the gallery without affecting the other? Is there an "original" gallery?

Hope I'm framing my questions correctly. Thank you again.

gailb

Broken again!

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:10 am

I just checked and the majority of the photos became unchecked again, so they would not be viewable. This is after going through each photo checkmarking and Updating Image to be publicly viewable.

Plus, sometimes when I click the NEXT button, it doesn't go to the next image. A blank screen pops up except for the words "Back to Gallery."

There obviously is a pbase problem, don't you think?!

I rechecked and updated each image once again. I'll look at the photos tomorrow, and if the photos become unchecked again, I will contact the owners.

I have spent hours trying to get the images in the gallery to display!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
btw. when I tried to submit this post, I got a message that I was logged out (I wasnt!!!!!), and that I had to login again. I hit the submit button again and the comment was submitted. :|
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

dw_thomas

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:36 am

Is there a proper way/order to delete all the images, then the gallery without affecting the other? Is there an "original" gallery?

I have seldom done this, but here are a couple of tidbits. Before starting, make sure when you are logged in you can go to "Contents" for each of the two galleries and see all the images showing so you know both galleries are properly configured.

If you edit an individual image in a gallery (talking the newer "drop and drag" editor here ...), toward the bottom of the main edit frame is red text: "Delete image from: " then a pull-down and after that a button for "Delete Image." The pull-down shows a list of galleries that contain the image. You click the gallery name from which you wish to remove the image, then click the Delete Image button. The image will only be removed from the gallery you select. That will take a lot of time walking through each image.

The faster option is to display the contents of the gallery you wish to delete. (Again assuming the newer drag and drop editor) Click on the first image to select it. If you hold down the shift key and select the last image, select frames should appear around ALL of the images. Clicking the red 'X' tab should give you a pop-up "Are you sure you want to delete your selection of xx items? Yes No" (where xx is the number of images selected). Clicking 'Yes' will remove them from that gallery. You should then be able to go to the next gallery up ("the parent gallery"), go into edit mode and delete the empty gallery. You could try the block delete first with a block of three or four images, rather than all, to be sure you are getting what you want.

I am fairly sure the same operations can be accomplished with the old version of the editor also, but haven't done anything with it in a lo-o-ong time.

Hope that helps, the site is quite capable but not very user friendly.
DaveT

[PS: wrote this and when I went to post it, got a message that a message had come in since I started, etc. That bit about being logged out when submitting a forum post happens a lot. Normally just clicking the submit button again will make it go.]

dw_thomas

Post Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:48 am

I just checked and the majority of the photos became unchecked again, so they would not be viewable. This is after going through each photo checkmarking and Updating Image to be publicly viewable.

I'm wondering if that has to do with the image being in two galleries. Of curiosity: are the gallery and its copy both set as non-public? If so, maybe the system won't allow the public view check box on an image to be set because it could alter the security of the other gallery. (I'm surprised if PBase is that sophisticated, but we never know. :shock: )

I would suggest first making sure you can see all the pictures from both galleries when you (the owner) are logged in, then get rid of the one gallery. Then you may be able to change that public access checkbox and have it stay. You could verify that possibility by deleting just one or two images from the copied gallery and then going to the other gallery and try setting the public view for those specific images and see if it holds.

Plus, sometimes when I click the NEXT button, it doesn't go to the next image. A blank screen pops up except for the words "Back to Gallery."

I've not seen that lately, but it has been common at various times in the past. Apparently PBase occasionally lapses into the twilight zone -- or something!

gailb

Post Thu May 05, 2016 2:57 pm

Thanks for all the help. Got everything fixed. Used the drop down menu to delete an image from one gallery, but not the other.

dw_thomas

Post Fri May 06, 2016 2:56 pm

You're welcome! Glad to hear you got it sorted out.

There's little question that the help screens here could offer more help than they do, but at least these forums allow those of us who've managed to learn something the hard way to share our experience! :)

Thanks for the feedback.
DaveT

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Others can't see complete gallery