Board index PBase Questions and Answers Big upload problem

Questions and Answers

Big upload problem

Ask if you need help using PBase.
gemmf

Big upload problem

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:17 pm

Has anyone noticed that the upload is totally messed up? I've been uploading the backlog of my catalogue and just noticed images have been uploaded 13 times or something (I haven't bothered to count all of them!). I just don't have time to go through all of them delete the duplicates. It's also been so slow and keeps on showing errors. Hope this will be sorted soon. :evil:

dw_thomas

Re: Big upload problem

Post Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:31 pm

There have been occasional reports of behavior along these lines, but I have not personally experienced it (yet!) I'm currently running FireFox 44.0.2 on Win7x64 and uploaded a set of four files just the other day without incident. I believe some problems reported a few months back were blamed on FireFox, but I've been running that for quite a few years now and not seen an upload problem.

Since data gets scattered all around the world, perhaps there is some condition where timeouts way out in Zeus-knows-where get retried and screwed up. Have you reported it to support@pbase.com? (Based on recent indications that doesn't guarantee much, but it would be an appropriate channel.)

gemmf

Post Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:48 am

I'm on Firefox 44.0.2 too but Windows 10 x64. It's just not funny when you've uploaded about 60 files and end up with over 600! :shock:

gemmf

Post Thu Mar 10, 2016 3:48 pm

Well..... I had no help (no response, to be more precise) from the customer support, so I had to manually delete 621 images. What a joke & a waste of time...... :roll:

gemmf

Post Mon Aug 28, 2017 5:58 pm

I'd like to further add to my old thread. It seems every time I upload, either one by one from within the gallery or via ZIP file, the files are still being duplicated. I've just uplaoded 136 images using a ZIP file and somehow 430 images are added. I'll need to AGAIN delete the duplicate images MANUALLY ONE BY ONE. I'm really fed up with this...... Any comments from anyone? I'm not even going to contact PBase as I know I'll have no reply.

dw_thomas

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:59 am

Hmmm -- I can offer some sympathy, but not much else. I have never uploaded with ZIP files. I realize it makes a convenient package to maneuver, but since JPEGs are already compressed, it's unlikely building them into a ZIP file saves data volume.

Until sometime in the last year or so it was possible to highlight a list of files in Windoze Explorer and drag the list to the browse button in the upload screen. Somewhere along the way that stopped working; I reported it but have heard nothing. You can still build a list for uploading by dragging one filename at a time to the button. That supports about 40 files per list as I recall, but I generally build a list of about 20, then upload, and repeat. Overall that is likely not as fast as using ZIPs -- if they worked -- but it's probably faster than deleting a boatload of extra files.

There have been some subtle changes over the past year, and we have recently had some communications in these forums from Emily, so I keep hoping that some of the basic headaches may yet get resolved. (But fer shure, damn few hints are provided as to what's going on.)

Good luck,

DaveT

gemmf

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:19 am

Thanks for your input, DaveT. I only used the ZIP file as it always worked when duplicate (up to 3-4 times) files were created by uploading in non-ZIP method. I've deleted all the files I uploaded yesterday (as it's quicker than selecting & deleting the duplicate ones), and I will try the same method again. Fingers crossed. In the meantime, if anyone from PBase reading this. I would like some assistance, please?

gemmf

Post Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:19 am

Just tried it and 230 images uploaded instead of 136 intended. Please, please sort it out! :evil:

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:07 pm

Hi Gemm,

We will check into this and see what seems to be happening. It looks like you are using the old editor. Have you tried the new editor to see if you experience the same problem? Any further details would be very helpful, particularly if you've noticed that .zip files below a certain size consistently upload as expected.

A few questions:
- Do you ever get an error message after submitting the upload?
- Do you ever re-submit the upload after it seemed to fail?
- Have you tried any other browser to see if you experience the same problem?

Also, we have revamped our email support. So, feel free to send emails about any questions or issues.

Thanks,
Emily

brucemac

Post Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:50 pm

I see this all the time as well.

Today, I uploaded a zip file with 371 images using the original PBase upload page. An hour later, it was still spinning.
Looking at the content of the gallery in another tab, I see I have a wildly messed up sequence, and in many cases, 2-3 duplicates of the same image.

I selected & deleted the content, then started over with the new uploader. In this case, I sub-divided the images into batches of 50 each. While uploading the first batch, the tool showed the upload progress (thank you) and then the unzip process. It apparently unzipped it 3 times, but while most images have 3 copies, some have two, others, one. I stopped at that point on this gallery.

Stats:
MacOS 10.8, Firefox 47.0 (Cannot upgrade to newer version as that's the last available on this MacOS version)
Images processed with Graphic Converter 8.8.3, sized to 1000 px in the long direction.

Sample results: http://www.pbase.com/brucemac/2017septmunich. This is after I re-sequenced by image name in the new uploader tools.

I've had issues with the uploader several times in the past as well. In those cases, I've spent the time cleaning & rearranging to straighten things out. I'm not sure what's going on, but it's becoming a pain to upload any more than a few images at a time.

I'll try again from a windows 7 VM with the same zip files, but I'm not holding my breath.

-BruceMac

brucemac

Post Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:11 am

W7, latest Firefox (56, 32bit). Still broken, getting same results. Sending email to help...

joemt

Post Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:36 pm

I have the same problem. Reported it in the technical questions area and got no replies.
Using windows ie11 and zipfiles. Upload them and get 3 or 4 copies of each...

Joe T.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Big upload problem