Board index PBase Questions and Answers Decrease in hits

Questions and Answers

Decrease in hits

Ask if you need help using PBase.
merigan

Decrease in hits

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:31 pm

A month or so ago I had a sudden decrease in hit compared to past years Is there anything I coud have done technically to have caused this? To Merigan

dw_thomas

Re: Decrease in hits

Post Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:49 pm

You're not the only one. Mine are down considerably also, and I've seen grumblings from some others. There are various bits of speculation, one) the site's performance and reliability got so bad many people started ignoring it, and two) some of the regulars have apparently left in frustration with site problems and unresponsive absentee management. I wish it were not so, but the last month or two have been way less than confidence inspiring.

DaveT

rayavera

Post Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:23 pm

My lack of optimism with this site has led me to start using Smugmug. www.rayavera.smugmug.com I downloaded all my photos, one by one, off this site into folders on my hard drive. From there I uploaded them to smugmug. I have all the originals and PP'd copies but their scattered all over my hard drives and getting smugmug anywhere near my pbase folders would have been a monumental task. Smugmug is ok but there are several things I don't really care for. They make it extremely hard to see your statistics. I believe the numbers are accurate but getting them is a pain. I wish something would happen in the next month or so to make me want to stay here but I don't see that happening.

Ray

isolaverde

Post Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:06 pm

merigan wrote:A month or so ago I had a sudden decrease in hit compared to past years Is there anything I coud have done technically to have caused this? To Merigan

Looks to me as though whatever caused the INCREASE reported in threads around the same time last year may well have ended / stopped in the not too distant past...

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47669

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47827

In my own case, daily page views are now down to about one tenth of the number of pictures - maybe a quarter of what they were getting at the peak?

Peter

dw_thomas

Post Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:42 pm

In addition to my speculations upthread, I have actually wondered, especially given that a number of my galleries relate to pretty arcane stuff, if the hit counts of the old days were inflated by some sort of bug -- and now it's been fixed!

I tellya, this whole site is an anti-Alzheimers plan, trying to keep our brains active ...

DaveT
:lol:

richo

Post Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:15 pm

dw_thomas wrote:In addition to my speculations upthread, I have actually wondered, especially given that a number of my galleries relate to pretty arcane stuff, if the hit counts of the old days were inflated by some sort of bug -- and now it's been fixed!

I tellya, this whole site is an anti-Alzheimers plan, trying to keep our brains active ...

DaveT
:lol:

Dave,
One of the main reasons I started using Google Analytics was because Pbase's stats just did not seem accurate and only tracked page hits. I have been using Google Analytics on my pbase galleries now for several years. My Google Analytics stats show pbase's numbers are way over inflated. They still are...so the numbers overall are just down and likely due to what you suggested before - fewer users, website issues and the rise of other popular sites.

wietsej

Post Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:13 pm

I started a few month ago also an account on Flickr. 15% of my pics are now on Pbase and Flickr On Pbase I have 2750 hits the last 5 days. on Flickr 31000. I put a new pic 23/11 on both. Pbase 75 hits and Flickr 854.

isolaverde

Post Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:14 pm

Are my pics suddenly popular again, or has that crawler restarted its progress through the PBase site?

dw_thomas

Post Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:51 am

isolaverde wrote:Are my pics suddenly popular again, or has that crawler restarted its progress through the PBase site?

Yeah, there was a big bump the last day or two.

DaveT

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Decrease in hits