Board index PBase Questions and Answers Camera database is dead

Questions and Answers

Camera database is dead

Ask if you need help using PBase.
jeanb

Camera database is dead

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:35 am

I used to use the camera database a lot. However no new cameras at all in 2015.
No one buying new cameras? Doubtful. More likely the info just isn't being collected any more. Anyone from Pbase like to comment?

dw_thomas

Re: Camera database is dead

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:13 pm

Well I would not say it is dead, what's there comes up, it just isn't being updated or maintained (apparently). I don't think PBase ever claimed to be magically updating it, the stated procedure is to email cameras@pbase.com with requests for additions (and you can even point them to a picture of the camera you want added). And I agree it is interesting to see what various folks are doing with different cameras -- some of mine go back to the 1940s and 50s, long before PBase existed -- but they are in the database.

That's the theory. For some time now, the institution has been running as though such emails disappear into the rings of Saturn. There is little evidence that The Management(tm) reads these forums; the apparent intent of the forums is for we confused users to help each other. So maybe a massive email campaign to support@pbase.com or the above cameras address might help, but based on recent history I would maintain low expectations. :cry:

DaveT
Last edited by dw_thomas on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeanb

Post Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:29 pm

dw_thomas wrote:Well I would not say it is dead, what's there comes up, it just isn't being updated or maintained (apparently)...
the apparent intent of the forums is for we confused users to help each other.
DaveT

Well I agree with that! :)
J.

dahlstetphoto

Re: Camera database is dead, yea, verily

Post Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:02 am

I make it a practice to include camera and lens data with the stuff I post. Not that it serves as a stellar example of what I post but it provides info to others who may be looking at a specific camera or lens. The option to add the camera or lens does not in any way compensate for the lack of ability to search in the data base for that particular item. A great case in point is the relatively new Nikon D7200 which must be in the hands of lots of folks and there are undoubtedly may others wanting to see what owners have done with theirs. Try a search. You will find the results minimal. Why start a project as ambitious as a camera and lens database if there is no intent to keep it up? If the owners of this cash cow wish to limit the size and or scope of that database there are ways to do that. Not every one will be pleased but there are many old film cameras with either no or very few images posted. There are other sites with photos which have gone several years with no additions. Are those posters still even alive? Are they all paying?

Please tell me how we can help one another when some have not posted a photos since 2004 or so and do not respond to questions?

dw_thomas

Post Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:27 am

dahlstetphoto wrote: ...
Please tell me how we can help one another when some have not posted a photos since 2004 or so and do not respond to questions?

If perchance this was targeted at my comments ...)

Obviously we can't do much for each other with regard to the shortcomings of The Management(tm). My point is/was that I frequently see people write in to one of these forums "Please add the 128 Gpixel Canikon XYZ8760 to the camera database." Or "How come the Leicanon that's been out for 3 months isn't in the database?" As I understand it, there is utterly no guarantee that the Management(tm) reads these forums with any regularity or at all; such requests are bound to go begging. Now there are supposed to be "official" ways to make such requests; if those procedures aren't followed it's unlikely anything will happen. I've been here for about ten years and I'm not sure, other than perhaps when the site first started, that they ever just automatically picked up new cameras. With the frenzied rate that new revisions and models come out it would be optimistic to assume that happens -- or even could happen.

The current (and legitimate IMHO, and serious) source of unrest is that the official channels now seem to lead to a black hole.

Where we can and do help each other is where a user has a question about how to do something with HTML or using the drag-and-drop editor -- or even how to connect electronic flash to a 1936 folding camera.

That's my understanding of the forums (or fora, if you prefer ... :( ).
DaveT

dougj

Post Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:45 am

Updating the camera database seems to be a very low priority for this site, and it's not automatic when new cameras are introduced, same for lenses. PBase asks that requests be sent to: cameras@pbase.com.

I don't know how effective this will be, but it's worth a try.

dbh

Post Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:06 am

dw_thomas wrote:The current (and legitimate IMHO, and serious) source of unrest is that the official channels now seem to lead to a black hole.

It's not completely black... I received an email saying I owe more money next month.

dw_thomas

Post Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:33 am

dbh wrote:
dw_thomas wrote:The current (and legitimate IMHO, and serious) source of unrest is that the official channels now seem to lead to a black hole.

It's not completely black... I received an email saying I owe more money next month.

Ah, but it's a safe bet that is a robot not requiring any management interaction. :shock:
(If that had collapsed the lights would have probably gone out a year ago!)

DaveT

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Camera database is dead