Board index PBase Questions and Answers View Full Statistics Link Not Working

Questions and Answers

View Full Statistics Link Not Working

Ask if you need help using PBase.
powerandbeauty

View Full Statistics Link Not Working

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:19 pm

The View Full Statistics Link On my profile page hasn't worked for a few days...can't see the daily hits anymore...anyone know whats going on or if tech is aware of the problem?

dw_thomas

Re: View Full Statistics Link Not Working

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:42 pm

Um, well, yes, this is the third thread on the topic. It has been reported.

http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48048
http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48049

Since things like the daily totals have only been accessible via a workaround for months now, I'm hoping this means they are working on it -- but I have no idea why that silly idea popped into what's left of my mind!!! :shock:

DaveT

rsbfotos

Post Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:01 pm

powerandbeauty wrote:The View Full Statistics Link On my profile page hasn't worked for a few days...can't see the daily hits anymore...anyone know whats going on or if tech is aware of the problem?

I understand it may be routine for many, to go into Profile to view the "full Stats page" but most of the time I go to the "dashboard" to get there. I can't remember having any problem with that link. Reading the comments/complaints these past days, (yes I believe the problem should be reported) there is the alternate way thru the "dashboard".
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

dw_thomas

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:38 am

rsbfotos wrote:
powerandbeauty wrote:The View Full Statistics Link On my profile page hasn't worked for a few days...can't see the daily hits anymore...anyone know whats going on or if tech is aware of the problem?

I understand it may be routine for many, to go into Profile to view the "full Stats page" but most of the time I go to the "dashboard" to get there. I can't remember having any problem with that link. Reading the comments/complaints these past days, (yes I believe the problem should be reported) there is the alternate way thru the "dashboard".

Ver-r-r-ry interesting! I never noticed that block of stats in the dashboard is a link (I tend to ignore the dashboard). It is set up to go to "www.pbase.com/stats/<username>" whereas the "view full statistic" link on the profile page is set up to go to "stats.pbase.com/<username>." And yet that was working until two days ago, what needed a workaround was the ability to click on individual days walking down along the left side of the blue bars -- which indeed appears to work if one gets there via the dashboard!

That might suggest the stats.pbase.com stuff was set up as some sort of mapped alias (or was being phased out) and has just a few days back gone away. Currently when one is on the "root" stats page, the "aggregate" link is set up to go to http://www.pbase.com/stats/. That may be why the earlier work around for the daily totals played. Bizarre -- but dovetails with my theory this site has been creatively duct taped and baling wired beyond its original design.

Look at the bright side -- exercising the brain is supposed to stave off alzheimers! :shock:

DaveT

fstopintl

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:08 pm

Stats still not working!! Any reply from PBASE???

richo

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:47 pm

dw_thomas wrote:
rsbfotos wrote:

Ver-r-r-ry interesting! I never noticed that block of stats in the dashboard is a link (I tend to ignore the dashboard). It is set up to go to "www.pbase.com/stats/<username>" whereas the "view full statistic" link on the profile page is set up to go to "stats.pbase.com/<username>." And yet that was working until two days ago, what needed a workaround was the ability to click on individual days walking down along the left side of the blue bars -- which indeed appears to work if one gets there via the dashboard!

That might suggest the stats.pbase.com stuff was set up as some sort of mapped alias (or was being phased out) and has just a few days back gone away. Currently when one is on the "root" stats page, the "aggregate" link is set up to go to http://www.pbase.com/stats/. That may be why the earlier work around for the daily totals played. Bizarre -- but dovetails with my theory this site has been creatively duct taped and baling wired beyond its original design.

Look at the bright side -- exercising the brain is supposed to stave off alzheimers! :shock:

DaveT

Great catch Dave (and rsbfotos)!! The issue I saw before with the main stats page off the profile was a permissions issue, the workaround I found seemed to fix that issue. So for now if I go to your suggested link the permissions issue does not happen.

dw_thomas

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:50 pm

fstopintl wrote:Stats still not working!! Any reply from PBASE???

Per the discussion above, go to your Dashboard (link at top marked "home") at mid left side are some stats:\
Galleries: 625
Pageviews: 3,716,696

(or whatever, everyone will have different numbers)

That whole blob of text is a link, click it and you will get your stats. (Thanks to rsbfotos for the tip.)

Should things be the way they are, no, but this is the Twilight Zone known as PBase.

DaveT

rsbfotos

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:30 pm

dw_thomas wrote:................... Bizarre -- but dovetails with my theory this site has been creatively duct taped and baling wired beyond its original design.

DaveT

Hi DaveT

I'm cautiously posting this reply here instead of starting a new thread - as there are two other threads as you mention on its topic of discussion; I feel it may provide food-for-thought to a few individuals (and maybe administration).

I don't understand much more than basics (if even that) about PC's and programming. However for a couple of years reading posts complaining the lack of improvements, I have thought one explanation might be that the Pbase program language is not capable very easily, efficiently, or at all, in doing anymore than what it is doing now. If this is the case I feel management should tell its users, so they know what to expect. It would not cause me to leave since admittedly I have no need or desire to keep pace with technology. In truth I'm a very senior individual who has difficulty just trying to comprehend and afford the technology I use at the moment. Quite possibly as the years have passed a bit of "spaghetti code" may also have crept into Pbase. For all I know the hardware being used may also play a significant role.

I haven't a clue concerning the (proper) maintenance costs to keep Pbase running. I would expect the hardware cost to be large. I have no idea of how many paying customers there are, or whether Pbase is profitable or breaking even. I don't know how many people Pbase employs either.

However, as just a paying customer, from the outside my impression is that 2 or 3 individuals are involved but none full time and perhaps that's not a problem when everything is running smoothly. It is apparent this is not a company with a number of individuals working a 9 to 5 schedule, and 4 or 5 administrators/managers/developers sitting in offices. The impression I've always had is that of a home/hobby business of 2 maybe 3 part time individuals who have to allocate their time trying to raise and manage a growing family and a small business. When one starts either one, responsibilities do come with it. I have no problem with that at all but it would be nice to have management find a way to satisfy both family and business. Perhaps a short statement in their Pbase preamble without getting too personal (I enjoy my privacy also) would allow more customers to understand the style of the "company" and determine to stay or not or to join or not. How can an individual truly enjoy photography if their upset half the time over the functions (or not) of their imaging hosting website.

Everything I've said is possibly nothing but twoddle and may have gotten in over my head in an area or two, but I would end with my personal Pbase needs (ymmv).
- Pbase functionality: (when everything is working as designed) fills my needs with no complaints.
- Pbase design appearance (though probably haven't seen every other site in www land) haven't found a replacement - very satisfied.
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

dw_thomas

Post Sat Sep 12, 2015 8:41 pm

Hi rsbfotos,

I think you've expressed it quite eloquently. I've always had a problem with those who whine about turning the place into some sort of F@cebook Jr and would far prefer that 1) it just did what it claims to be able to do reliably, and 2) The Management(tm) would respond in a timely fashion and toss out a hint about what's going on every now and again. The site could probably use some tinkering to deal better with small format devices ("smartphones" and "tablets") although in general, in my not entirely humble opinion, devices too small to work well with the current design would seem to be undershooting the mark for viewing photos anyway.

The general situation is rather unfortunate, and the events of the past month or two have certainly exacerbated the negative impressions. Things like that link that apparently worked until two or three days ago no longer working would seem to imply that someone is tinkering with something. But to we mere users, there are no useful hints as to what, why, or who, is involved -- or what the goals are (if any).

I had been laboring under the slight delusion that I could continue to build a sort of retrospective of my 50+ year history with photography here, but am beginning to wonder whether the site will expire before I do! :roll:

Ah well, "ya pays yer money and ya takes yer chances!"

DaveT

Board index PBase Questions and Answers View Full Statistics Link Not Working