Board index PBase Questions and Answers Dark photos

Questions and Answers

Dark photos

Ask if you need help using PBase.
ti_malice

Dark photos

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:46 pm

I shoot (Nikon D300 w/Nikkor lenses) RAW and edit in DxO Optics as needed and "Save for web" in Pphotoshop Elements 13 and when uploaded to one of my pbase galleries the rfesult is always much darker than what was saved for web. Any ideas ? Many thanks.

richo

Re: Dark photos

Post Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:11 pm

ti_malice wrote:I shoot (Nikon D300 w/Nikkor lenses) RAW and edit in DxO Optics as needed and "Save for web" in Pphotoshop Elements 13 and when uploaded to one of my pbase galleries the rfesult is always much darker than what was saved for web. Any ideas ? Many thanks.

Can you provide an example? Usually images on a white background will appear darker than those on a black background, but not sure exactly if that is what is happening with your images.

vneilknobbe

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:59 am

Have you calibrated (or recalibrated) your monitor recently. I know that I kept my monitors much brighter than I should have and my saved images were always darker than I thought they looked.

dw_thomas

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:15 pm

I'm having some vague recollection that there can be problems of this sort when "color management" stuff gets duplicated in more than one driver/viewer, although I think that was related more to printing. (I'm assuming "Save for web" uses an sRGB profile.)

Also, if one loads super big images so the PBase resizing comes into play, even for 'large', maybe that could mess things up.

It's a sure bet we aren't all seeing the same thing on our screens, even if it is *digital*!

DaveT

ti_malice

Post Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Thanks all for your prompt replies. Please see my galleries (which today display the more recent posting darker and the older paler... yet photos in others' -- for example, Richo's -- galleries look as they should ... ) for examples of what i mean.
J-J

dougj

Post Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:17 am

ti_malice wrote:Thanks all for your prompt replies. Please see my galleries (which today display the more recent posting darker and the older paler... yet photos in others' -- for example, Richo's -- galleries look as they should ... ) for examples of what i mean.
J-J

It would be helpful if you posted links to the examples, you have 4,000+ photos in your galleries, can't determine which is which :). Even more helpful would be to post actual examples here, with the metadata, as your photos are protected and the meta data can not be read.

DaveT provided some good advice. Further, ensure that your photos are converted to sRGB before you save them for the web. Save for web usually deletes all of the meta data for photos, this includes the color space used for processing. If you are working in any color space other than sRGB, browsers will not know this and automatically assign & work in sRGB, resulting in color mismatches.

dougj

Post Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:45 am

dougj wrote:
ti_malice wrote:Thanks all for your prompt replies. Please see my galleries (which today display the more recent posting darker and the older paler... yet photos in others' -- for example, Richo's -- galleries look as they should ... ) for examples of what i mean.
J-J

It would be helpful if you posted links to the examples, you have 4,000+ photos in your galleries, can't determine which is which :). Even more helpful would be to post actual examples here, with the metadata, as your photos are protected and the meta data can not be read.

DaveT provided some good advice. Further, ensure that your photos are converted to sRGB before you save them for the web. Save for web usually deletes all of the meta data for photos, this includes the color space used for processing. If you are working in any color space other than sRGB, browsers will not know this and automatically assign & work in sRGB, resulting in color mismatches.

OP, any updates or interest?

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Dark photos