Board index PBase Questions and Answers No Map for New Gallery

Questions and Answers

No Map for New Gallery

Ask if you need help using PBase.
rcampbell

No Map for New Gallery

Post Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:15 pm

I have uploaded geotagged files to a new gallery, as I have done in the past, but there is no map. :)

I am using Microsoft Edge for the first time, could it be some new privacy setting that is stripping out the GPS data?

Thanks,
Richard Campbell

dw_thomas

Re: No Map for New Gallery

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:56 am

Nay, I suspect it is far more sinister ...

Check this thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47468

GPS stuff has been in various states of broken for quite a while -- thankfully I don't use it, but I can see how people that do might be at least a tad annoyed.

DaveT

richo

Post Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:03 pm

rcampbell wrote:I have uploaded geotagged files to a new gallery, as I have done in the past, but there is no map. :)

I am using Microsoft Edge for the first time, could it be some new privacy setting that is stripping out the GPS data?

Thanks,
Richard Campbell

Richard,
Have you tried it with IE11 with pbase.com added to the Compatibility View Settings? I have not found that setting in Edge yet. I will try my maps with Edge as well.

Update: I haven't tried a new image, but the images that already have the View Map tag are still working in a "broken" state with either IE 11 or Edge. It is still broken for me unless I am logged into Pbase.com. If I am not then the View Map for an image just takes me to the world map with all my pins there. Logged in and View Map takes me to the location for the image. That experience is the same with Edge or IE 11. The problem is a security issue that has never been fixed and I suspect it has to do with changes made at Google and the code here was never updated.

I'll see if I have an image that has the GPS data in it and upload it to my test gallery using Edge. --- I uploaded an image that contained GPS data using Edge and it correctly created the View Map link...so I am not seeing anything different with Edge than I experienced with IE 11.

rcampbell

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:21 am

My url is pbase.com/rcampbell. The Fiji map still looks OK but the images for my current trip to Central Australia (Red Centre) are not mapped, despite there being GPS dara in the EXIF section. Up until now I have favoured Pbase, and have been prepared to pay for it, because of its superior mapping. That reason seems to have evapourated.

richo

Post Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:58 pm

rcampbell wrote:My url is pbase.com/rcampbell. The Fiji map still looks OK but the images for my current trip to Central Australia (Red Centre) are not mapped, despite there being GPS dara in the EXIF section. Up until now I have favoured Pbase, and have been prepared to pay for it, because of its superior mapping. That reason seems to have evapourated.

Try re-uploading one of the images in the Fiji gallery to the Fiji gallery and to the Central Australia gallery...copy and rename the image for each gallery. It is possible that a setting is not set correctly or you are hitting servers that have the GPS extraction code broken 100%. As I said before I have been able to determine there is a security issue with the current code when an anonymous user clicks on the View Map link.

Caveat: I do not work for Pbase.com in any capacity, so I do not know what their plans are for the future of Pbase.com. I'm just a paying customer trying to find a way through the issues until I find a better home for my images.

rcampbell

Post Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:51 am

richo wrote:Caveat: I do not work for Pbase.com in any capacity, so I do not know what their plans are for the future of Pbase.com. I'm just a paying customer trying to find a way through the issues until I find a better home for my images.

Thanks for your help Richo. I started using PBase because the mapping feature was better than the competition, even the big players, now it seems to be broken.

I'll try repoting the issue and see what hsppens. If it is fixed before I find a good aleternatoive, I will stay with them.

Thanks again.

rcampbell

Post Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:47 am

I reported this problem a few days ago now, and no response yet. In the meantime, I have tried SmugMug and it seems quite happy with the GPS/EXIF data in my files, see rcampbell.smugmug.com. I will probably switch if there is no reply soon.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers No Map for New Gallery