Board index PBase Questions and Answers Private Galleries

Questions and Answers

Private Galleries

Ask if you need help using PBase.
chiles400

Private Galleries

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:41 pm

I have made some of my galleries "not public" but if i Google them I can get them. Is there a way to completely deny acess?

Thank you John

richo

Re: Private Galleries

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:21 pm

chiles400 wrote:I have made some of my galleries "not public" but if i Google them I can get them. Is there a way to completely deny acess?

Thank you John

Set a password for the gallery. Look for "password protection" in the side menu when you click "Edit this gallery"

chiles400

Post Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:56 pm

Thank you for responding richo. I tried that with one gallery but can still get it by Googling

richo

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:42 pm

chiles400 wrote:Thank you for responding richo. I tried that with one gallery but can still get it by Googling

Create a test gallery and secured it will a password then share the link here. I will see if I can access it with tools similar to Google.

chiles400

Post Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:18 pm

Thanks for your trouble

here is the link http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/test

richo

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:20 pm

chiles400 wrote:Thanks for your trouble

here is the link http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/test

Not able to access it at all. How do you know Google's robot is able to access the other one you protected? If it is because you see results in a search then it could be the cache that Google keeps. To remove that you have to use their Webmaster tools to clear the cache. This will require verifying ownership of the website which might not be easy with a pbase gallery.

chiles400

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:27 pm

Thanks again - try Googling Little Long Pond 3-7-15

That is the name of the picture in the test gallery - doesn't come up on pbase when i google it

But
I just tried to Google Congo Trinidad pods 8-9-06.jpg and got it It's in another protected gallery

dw_thomas

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:32 pm

Hi, FWIW I tried Googling that and I did not see any PBase images, but it did show up at Blogspot.

Of course I don't doubt that Google probably has just about the entire world cached somewhere! :twisted:

DaveT

chiles400

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks Dave-- I get the blog post for little Long Pond - would you please try the Congo trinidad Pods

dw_thomas

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:31 pm

chiles400 wrote:Thanks Dave-- I get the blog post for little Long Pond - would you please try the Congo trinidad Pods

The Google images portion on that takes me to your PBase stuff.

Oddly, the indexing across the top of that gallery page displays as:
all galleries >> all_through_2010_mostly_alphabetical >> c > Congo Trinidad pods 9-19-05.jpg

If I click on the 'C' in that string, I get the thumbnails for the gallery containing the referenced image.

If I click on the 'all_through_2010_mostly alphabetical" I see:
| profile | all galleries >> all_through_2010_mostly_alphabetical tree view | thumbnails | slideshow
In hopes of better organization I am redoing this gallery. Excuse the mess in the meantime. It does not contain all of them yet.

john
This gallery is empty.

That all leaves me wondering if the double angle brackets (">>") in those index strings are significant. In Tree View on your main (All Galleries) page, I don't see that "all_through_2010_..." gallery. Perhaps you have a private gallery between your root page and that one (and that's what the >> means)? But that suggests the "C" gallery is public. So mayhaps there is some sort of inconsistency in your gallery properties, or at least, PBase is unable to deal with what you're doing. Unfortunately I don't think the good folks here offer much information on what they think it does.

(If I ever have a question about peppers, now I know who to ask! :D )
DaveT

chiles400

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Thanks for taking all that trouble dave. That's what i find. I don't do anything odd to the pictures before I upload but I have them set to delete originals- sometimes they do and sometimes they don't- but that's another issue. There used to be a way to download your galleries from Pbase. last time I tried it didn't work. Do you know of another program?

Thanks

john

dw_thomas

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:58 pm

chiles400 wrote:Thanks for taking all that trouble dave. That's what i find. I don't do anything odd to the pictures before I upload but I have them set to delete originals- sometimes they do and sometimes they don't- but that's another issue. There used to be a way to download your galleries from Pbase. last time I tried it didn't work. Do you know of another program?

Thanks
John

Alas, I don't know of another program for downloads beyond the one from here that apparently once worked. Almost since I started here I have maintained a directory tree on my local system that parallels what I have on PBase. Along the way I started keeping an html file in each subdirectory that displayed thumbnails in the same layout as here on PBase. After the big crash back in 2009? I started even saving my captions and comments in the html files in case i ever needed to rebuild from scratch. So in theory, I don't need to download. (I have programming experience and expertise, but not in anything related to dealing with this stuff! :? )

Anyway, my other point in the previous post was wondering if you have public sub-galleries off private parent galleries, as it may be that confuses what search bots can get at. (By the time I figure this all out, we'll be communicating directly with brain waves -- but I won't have a brain left. :D )

richo

Post Tue Mar 10, 2015 11:35 pm

chiles400 wrote:Thanks again - try Googling Little Long Pond 3-7-15

That is the name of the picture in the test gallery - doesn't come up on pbase when i google it

But
I just tried to Google Congo Trinidad pods 8-9-06.jpg and got it It's in another protected gallery

It usually takes 24 hours before the Google bot comes crawling through your stuff, so you probably want to check that tomorrow.

Also post here a direct link to one of the test images in that protected test gallery. We can see if although we have the link whether we can get to the image itself. (Sorry if I repeated something posted later. I briefly went through Dave's responses, but don't think he had already suggested the same.)

chiles400

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:18 am

Thanks Dave -- all the sub galleries are also set as not public

Thanks richo- here is link to image id teat gallery http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/159385607

richo

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:41 pm

chiles400 wrote:Thanks Dave -- all the sub galleries are also set as not public

Thanks richo- here is link to image id teat gallery http://www.pbase.com/chiles400/image/159385607

John, it appears that image is also in another gallery which is a public gallery and "This image is publicly viewable" is checked. The "gallery" is merely metadata in the pbase.com database, so it does not physically exist. This allows images then to exist in multiple galleries without duplicating the image many times. The most important piece of the metadata that determines if an image is viewable is that one check box right above where the image update button is located - This image is publicly viewable.

If you want to completely hide and protect from public view a gallery and all its images then you have to do the following:
1. Uncheck the public gallery box
2. Protect the gallery with a password.
3. Do not put images in this protected gallery that you want to be public in any other gallery
4. Edit each image and uncheck "This image is publicly viewable"

Also see my answer in this post: http://forum.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... 7b#p364900

What if you want to create a private gallery for something like a wedding? Then do the following:
1. Uncheck the public gallery box
2. Protect the gallery with a password.
3. Do not put the images that are in this gallery in any public gallery
4. Edit each image and check "This image is publicly view able"
5. Send the link and password for the gallery to those who you want to see it.
(Caveat Emptor - Anyone who is given the link and the password will be able to see the images. This includes friends of friends of friends that you might not even know. Plus anyone who decides to post the link along with the password on any public website. )

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Private Galleries