Board index PBase Questions and Answers Private Galleries

Questions and Answers

Private Galleries

Ask if you need help using PBase.
chiles400

Re: Private Galleries

Post Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 pm

Thanks again for all your trouble richo - I can't believe it's necessary to edit each image- that's not a very efficient program

richo

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:47 pm

chiles400 wrote:Thanks again for all your trouble richo - I can't believe it's necessary to edit each image- that's not a very efficient program

If you click "edit gallery" you can then select all images using the "Process Selected Images" section. At the bottom of that edit page is a "Batch Update" form. In that form you will find the "Images are Public" field. With all the images selected you can then change the "Images are Public" field to Non-Public. That is basically 3 clicks of the mouse.

Also, remember that the only reason you need to mark an image non-public in a protected gallery is if that image is also published in another gallery. If you copy a "public" image in a protected gallery to a gallery that is not protected then the image can be viewed and indexed.

Full Disclosure: I am not a pbase.com employee nor a hired tech person nor an admin here. I am just another paying customer trying wade through the jungle here. :)

chiles400

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:23 pm

Please forgive my computer illiteracy . I really appreciate all your help. Your suggestion does not seem to work. I have a gallery marked as not public. I followed the steps you suggested and get a flag at the top saying " Updated Public Flag. I Google an image - not in another gallery and find it on Google. I go back to "edit gallery" , scroll down and find the box for " images are public" says "no change" . Also when I try to do a gallery with sub gallleries and select all the program tell me i have not selected any images here is an example search for Cayenne Large 9-8-14

John

dw_thomas

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:29 pm

richo wrote:[ . . . ]
Full Disclosure: I am not a pbase.com employee nor a hired tech person nor an admin here. I am just another paying customer trying wade through the jungle here. :)

Aye, but you do a pretty impressive job. As an old techno-geek, one part of me is terribly curious about how the internals of this site work, but the other part is scared to death I might find out! :shock:

We both agree that something of chiles400's setup did an end run around the access permissions, but you were far more thorough and eloquent!

It is a shame that the admins don't pay more attention, and I suspect a re-write of the help screens from the ground up wouldn't hurt either. It seems to me as though a fair amount of the more obscure actions are not well documented (if at all).

DaveT

dw_thomas

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 pm

chiles400 wrote:Please forgive my computer illiteracy . I really appreciate all your help. Your suggestion does not seem to work. I have a gallery marked as not public. I followed the steps you suggested and get a flag at the top saying " Updated Public Flag. I Google an image - not in another gallery and find it on Google. I go back to "edit gallery" , scroll down and find the box for " images are public" says "no change" . Also when I try to do a gallery with sub gallleries and select all the program tell me i have not selected any images here is an example search for Cayenne Large 9-8-14

John

I suspect Google might be operating from cache and might not immediately respond to such changes. But I am not sure what the apparent failure of PBase to record the change may mean. Going out to some other web stuff, coming back, and forcing a browser "reload" might be worthwhile. I seem to see some inconsistencies (at least here with Firefox) in picking up changed pages unless I force a reload (I thought I have mine set to check time stamps). (I am still naive enough to think there is an explanation for everything.)

DaveT

richo

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:41 pm

chiles400 wrote:Please forgive my computer illiteracy . I really appreciate all your help. Your suggestion does not seem to work. I have a gallery marked as not public. I followed the steps you suggested and get a flag at the top saying " Updated Public Flag. I Google an image - not in another gallery and find it on Google. I go back to "edit gallery" , scroll down and find the box for " images are public" says "no change" . Also when I try to do a gallery with sub gallleries and select all the program tell me i have not selected any images

John

John,

Let's start again with a brand new gallery that has no images. Once you have the gallery created then click "edit this gallery" and:
1. Uncheck the public gallery box
2. Protect the gallery with a password.
3. Upload some images. NOTE: Do not copy an image from an existing public gallery to this private gallery. Upload images directly to this non-public - password protected gallery. Also do not copy an image in this gallery to a public gallery. Once you do that the image is no longer protected.

These steps should create a private gallery and not allow access to any of the images without providing a password. To test this you must either not be logged into your account or use a "in private browsing tab" where you are not logged in.

These steps worked for me, so if they do not work for you then you probably will need to email support@pbase.com to have them check out your gallery.

Update: This image: Cayenne Large 9-8-14 is protected to me. Like Dave pointed out it might show up in Google right now because it was previously indexed. A brand new gallery created as above with new images should be the best test. Make sure you test each image using a new browser session where you are not logged into Pbase.com.
Last edited by richo on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

richo

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:43 pm

dw_thomas wrote:
chiles400 wrote:Please forgive my computer illiteracy . I really appreciate all your help. Your suggestion does not seem to work. I have a gallery marked as not public. I followed the steps you suggested and get a flag at the top saying " Updated Public Flag. I Google an image - not in another gallery and find it on Google. I go back to "edit gallery" , scroll down and find the box for " images are public" says "no change" . Also when I try to do a gallery with sub gallleries and select all the program tell me i have not selected any images here is an example search for Cayenne Large 9-8-14

John

I suspect Google might be operating from cache and might not immediately respond to such changes. But I am not sure what the apparent failure of PBase to record the change may mean. Going out to some other web stuff, coming back, and forcing a browser "reload" might be worthwhile. I seem to see some inconsistencies (at least here with Firefox) in picking up changed pages unless I force a reload (I thought I have mine set to check time stamps). (I am still naive enough to think there is an explanation for everything.)

DaveT

Dave makes an excellent point here, so it would be good to start fresh with a new gallery following my steps above.

richo

Post Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:09 pm

dw_thomas wrote:

Aye, but you do a pretty impressive job. As an old techno-geek, one part of me is terribly curious about how the internals of this site work, but the other part is scared to death I might find out! :shock:

We both agree that something of chiles400's setup did an end run around the access permissions, but you were far more thorough and eloquent!

It is a shame that the admins don't pay more attention, and I suspect a re-write of the help screens from the ground up wouldn't hurt either. It seems to me as though a fair amount of the more obscure actions are not well documented (if at all).

DaveT

Thanks Dave,
I am a semi-retired computer geek (read my contracts ended). I have had a long history with the Internet and computer stuff beginning with the days before the web. You definitely have been spot on with your suggestions.

I completely agree that the admins need to be more involved here. That silence continues to support the case that Pbase.com is going under.
Last edited by richo on Sat Mar 14, 2015 1:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

jpeg_shooter

Post Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:13 am

I completely agree that the admins need to be more involved here. That silence continues to support the case that Pbase.com is going under.

or that they simply don't care.

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Private Galleries