Board index PBase Questions and Answers Views on NON-PUBLIC gallery

Questions and Answers

Views on NON-PUBLIC gallery

Ask if you need help using PBase.
jpeg_shooter

Views on NON-PUBLIC gallery

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:12 pm

I recently removed all of my images because I am trying to decide whether or not to renew my Pbase account. One of the reasons I will likely leave is that even though I make a gallery NON-PUBLIC, there are apparently a lot of people viewing the images within that are showing up in the aggregate count but not in the individual count. Case in point. I put up a 'test' gallery with 5 images. I unchecked the box "this gallery can be viewed by anyone". The very next day... today... the aggregate daily views report 61! The images themselves show only 3 hits (which were me viewing them while not logged in) but the aggregate count shows 61. Where is that coming from??

dw_thomas

Re: Views on NON-PUBLIC gallery

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:50 pm

As I understand it (always subject to question :shock: ), designating a gallery as "Non-Public" just makes it not show in the indexing but doesn't really prevent access. I know I have a small hierarchy of a gallery and sub-galleries designated as non-public and if I give you a full URL to one of those galleries, you can go right to it. I have done that with some family events.

So it appears a searchbot can still access a non-public gallery. I had someone write to me asking if he could use a couple of my images for a website about an event where I had shot a few pictures. I had put them on PBase as non-public, so I asked how he found them and was told Google image search showed them. Apparently putting in a password is the only way to make a gallery truly private.

Hope that helps,
The far from expert in things PBase DaveT

dw_thomas

Post Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:27 pm

After a bit more looking, the "Ignore" I was thinking of is a "Blacklist" for commenters.

Also, you can specify non-public on individual images, but then only you can see them -- or so it says.

DaveT

richo

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:17 pm

dw_thomas wrote:As I understand it (always subject to question :shock: ), designating a gallery as "Non-Public" just makes it not show in the indexing but doesn't really prevent access. I know I have a small hierarchy of a gallery and sub-galleries designated as non-public and if I give you a full URL to one of those galleries, you can go right to it. I have done that with some family events.

So it appears a searchbot can still access a non-public gallery. I had someone write to me asking if he could use a couple of my images for a website about an event where I had shot a few pictures. I had put them on PBase as non-public, so I asked how he found them and was told Google image search showed them. Apparently putting in a password is the only way to make a gallery truly private.

Hope that helps,
The far from expert in things PBase DaveT

Dave,
I just ran a quick test. If a gallery is marked non-public and even one image is shared to someone somehow then all images in that gallery are visible to that person. However if I uncheck the
"This image is publicly viewable" option then no access is granted to that image. You can go into the edit gallery, select all images and then in the batch update section set the "Images are Public" option to Non-Public and then all images are set to that. That seems to work, however; when I look at the source there is an id and key field in the form element. Not sure if there is some way to use those values to get around the non-public option. Setting the password might be the best option.

dw_thomas

Post Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:46 pm

Dave,
I just ran a quick test. If a gallery is marked non-public and even one image is shared to someone somehow then all images in that gallery are visible to that person. However if I uncheck the
"This image is publicly viewable" option then no access is granted to that image. You can go into the edit gallery, select all images and then in the batch update section set the "Images are Public" option to Non-Public and then all images are set to that. That seems to work, however; when I look at the source there is an id and key field in the form element. Not sure if there is some way to use those values to get around the non-public option. Setting the password might be the best option.

Thanks richo, yes, I'd say that correlates with what I've seen. The fact that no one but the logged in owner can see a non-public image wouldn't seem all that useful anyway. If one were providing previews to commercial clients, I guess passwords would be the way to go. I have used "non-public" galleries to just remove sets of images from being found by people whiling away their time cruising my galleries. I would never put anything up that could cause damage or "real" privacy concerns -- in fact, I'd apply that to the entire Internet! :shock: I sometimes wonder about the weird trash people post on social networking sites coming back to haunt them in 10, 20 or 30 years. I have friends/relatives who regularly put stuff up that leave me saying "WHUT!?"

DaveT

richo

Post Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:24 pm

dw_thomas wrote:
Thanks richo, yes, I'd say that correlates with what I've seen. The fact that no one but the logged in owner can see a non-public image wouldn't seem all that useful anyway. If one were providing previews to commercial clients, I guess passwords would be the way to go. I have used "non-public" galleries to just remove sets of images from being found by people whiling away their time cruising my galleries. I would never put anything up that could cause damage or "real" privacy concerns -- in fact, I'd apply that to the entire Internet! :shock: I sometimes wonder about the weird trash people post on social networking sites coming back to haunt them in 10, 20 or 30 years. I have friends/relatives who regularly put stuff up that leave me saying "WHUT!?"

DaveT

Dave, you are so right! I wonder how many folks realize that even web pages are being archived? Now I don't know if they will be around in 20 or 30 years, but I can go back to my website pages in 2004 using the Internet Archive Wayback Machine: https://archive.org/web/

They only do a limited number of captures per year, but those who are posting NSFW might want to see if they have captured their images should they want to try and get them removed.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Views on NON-PUBLIC gallery