Board index PBase Questions and Answers Thumbnail Titles Disappear

Questions and Answers

Thumbnail Titles Disappear

Ask if you need help using PBase.
rsbfotos

Thumbnail Titles Disappear

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:01 pm

I have always preferred to keep the thumbnail titles hidden in most of my Gallery and Sub-Gallery pages, but have them show up when the mouse hovers over a thumbnail image.

I discovered recently that after many years, this function no longer works. I have asked Pbase but they said since nothing has changed on their side, they don't have an explanation for this.

I know I'm not going crazy because on a number of my galleries, included is the information "MOUSE - OVER Thumbnails for TITLES & CLICK - ON for FULL Size Images"

The only thing that has changed on my end is that after a recent monthly MS update, I noticed now MS IE-11 ver 11.0.14 is my browser. I had been using IE 8 browser in the past when the mouse-over worked.

Does anyone have similar type problems? Anyone offer any explanations or theories?
---------------------------------------------------
rsbfotos
You can't see the forest when you sneeze.

richo

Re: Thumbnail Titles Disappear

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:39 pm

rsbfotos wrote:I have always preferred to keep the thumbnail titles hidden in most of my Gallery and Sub-Gallery pages, but have them show up when the mouse hovers over a thumbnail image.

I discovered recently that after many years, this function no longer works. I have asked Pbase but they said since nothing has changed on their side, they don't have an explanation for this.

I know I'm not going crazy because on a number of my galleries, included is the information "MOUSE - OVER Thumbnails for TITLES & CLICK - ON for FULL Size Images"

The only thing that has changed on my end is that after a recent monthly MS update, I noticed now MS IE-11 ver 11.0.14 is my browser. I had been using IE 8 browser in the past when the mouse-over worked.

Does anyone have similar type problems? Anyone offer any explanations or theories?

Are you referring to the ALT tag showing up for an image? When I hover over one of my images, the path to the gallery shows up in the lower left corner of my browser window. However, if I look at the code for the page there is an ALT tag for the IMG element which is the image title. I have IE 11 and I do know that there are compatibility issues with it. Most websites still do not recognize it. On my own website this is true, so I have to add the website to the IE 11 compatibility view settings. I just tested this with my website and the ALT shows up with the website in compatibility view, but does not if I remove it. And I just placed Pbase.com in the compatibility view settings and the ALT now shows up.

rsbfotos

Post Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:48 pm

Hi Richo,

The situation that appears to have stopped working was that on a galleries 'Edit' page the "show image titles with thumbnails" box would be left UNchecked. Then when someone viewed that gallery thumbnail page, of course there would be no titles visible, just the thumbnails. But if the mouse was placed over a thumbnail, the tittle would show up, over the thumbnail as long as the mouse was over that thumbnail.
rsbfotos

richo

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:22 am

rsbfotos wrote:Hi Richo,

The situation that appears to have stopped working was that on a galleries 'Edit' page the "show image titles with thumbnails" box would be left UNchecked. Then when someone viewed that gallery thumbnail page, of course there would be no titles visible, just the thumbnails. But if the mouse was placed over a thumbnail, the tittle would show up, over the thumbnail as long as the mouse was over that thumbnail.

Ok, what displays the image title when you hover over a thumbnail is the ALT attribute of the IMG tag. The ALT attribute does not show up when I use my IE 11 and pbase.com is not added to the Compatibility View Settings. When I add pbase.com to the Compatibility View Settings, uncheck the "show image titles with thumbnails" then the titles show up. Try adding pbase.com to the IE 11 Compatibility View Settings (you find it under the Gear icon menu), and see if that helps.

rsbfotos

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:41 am

richo wrote:Ok, what displays the image title when you hover over a thumbnail is the ALT attribute of the IMG tag. The ALT attribute does not show up when I use my IE 11 and pbase.com is not added to the Compatibility View Settings. When I add pbase.com to the Compatibility View Settings, uncheck the "show image titles with thumbnails" then the titles show up. Try adding pbase.com to the IE 11 Compatibility View Settings (you find it under the Gear icon menu), and see if that helps.

BINGO richo!!
My hats off to you. That was the issue. The image titles now show up during mouse 'hover-over'.
Have a great up-and-coming holiday. A Big Thank You - again.
rsbfotos

richo

Post Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:47 pm

rsbfotos wrote:
richo wrote:Ok, what displays the image title when you hover over a thumbnail is the ALT attribute of the IMG tag. The ALT attribute does not show up when I use my IE 11 and pbase.com is not added to the Compatibility View Settings. When I add pbase.com to the Compatibility View Settings, uncheck the "show image titles with thumbnails" then the titles show up. Try adding pbase.com to the IE 11 Compatibility View Settings (you find it under the Gear icon menu), and see if that helps.

BINGO richo!!
My hats off to you. That was the issue. The image titles now show up during mouse 'hover-over'.
Have a great up-and-coming holiday. A Big Thank You - again.

Excellent! I am happy to help and best wishes for a wonderful holiday for you and yours. Here is hoping that the New Year will bring some word from Pbase.com's owners/team that pbase.com will still be here.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Thumbnail Titles Disappear