Board index PBase Questions and Answers Unrealistic hits on gallery

Questions and Answers

Unrealistic hits on gallery

Ask if you need help using PBase.
gillk

Unrealistic hits on gallery

Post Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:57 pm

I've been getting unreal hits on my gallery "O'er the Sea to Sky" for several months. The hits are on the gallery itself, with not unusual hits on the content. Over 10,000 to date and with over 400 today. I would like to know what is going on.
GillK

dw_thomas

Re: Unrealistic hits on gallery

Post Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:34 am

That sounds similar to some reports earlier this year. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=47669

There didn't appear to be any confirmed explanation and it went away after a while. One might speculate on someone testing a spam posting script, your gallery URL being posted on some hot social networking site, or some other weird stuff. Hard to say, I experienced an increase in hits for the first few days in November, but they weren't significantly higher (certainly not 400 a day on one gallery), and I had posted some new images.

For sure, there is no shortage of mystery on this site!

EDIT: And now re-reading, I see you were in that earlier thread, so I guess I haven't suggested anything new. I had a large increase in hits in May and June, maybe twice normal, but things have seemed more normal since.

DaveT

richo

Post Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:04 pm

gillk wrote:I've been getting unreal hits on my gallery "O'er the Sea to Sky" for several months. The hits are on the gallery itself, with not unusual hits on the content. Over 10,000 to date and with over 400 today. I would like to know what is going on.
GillK

I have not seen an increase like that, but do get regular increases. After setting up Google Analytics, I found out that most of those were robot crawlers for search engines like Google, Bing etc that seem to hit on about the same time of the month. Some were from sites like stumbleupon and pinterest.

fshopper

Post Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:42 pm

Yes, I still got unrealistic hits on maybe 10 - 12 photos in different galleries. The hit counts are now approximately 15 - 20 times over the normal hit counts of other photos. This defies any explanation as it's still ongoing! As far as I can remember, this happened after I think I had done something charitable.

A few weeks before Christmas (2013) someone asked on one of my herald angels images 'comment box' for a price. I asked her what she intended to do with the image. It turned out she's someone from Sweden who had spent quite a few years in New York and now she missed New York during Christmas time. I sent her the original file, and in no time she had it printed and hung on her wall already. In reciprocation, she sent me some postcards and photos of her home town and surrounding attractions along with her notes.

I thought that was that... but in a few months I started seeing all these spikes in hit counts that are not the works of robot crawlers or scripts and they've lasted close to a year now. I'd like to think sometimes even token charitable deeds can be rewarding... :-)

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Unrealistic hits on gallery