Board index PBase Questions and Answers Photo sharpness question

Questions and Answers

Photo sharpness question

Ask if you need help using PBase.
chucklantz

Photo sharpness question

Post Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:18 pm

After loading some new images to my PBase galleries, I noticed something a bit strange regarding sharpness of the photos. Immediately after the photos were loaded, a few of the dozen or so images lacked sharpness at original size. While reviewing the shots again to re-process the soft shots and reload them an hour later, the shots that had appeared a bit soft were much sharper. This leads me to think that the PBase image loading process might still be "working on" the images for awhile, even after they are first visible when originally loaded.

If this is the case, how long does that processing take? If it is true, I'd imagine that the time would relate to the size of the images. I'd like to know, since after loading my images, I send clients links to the photos right away.

bill_hansen

Re: Photo sharpness question

Post Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:49 pm

Chuck - I'm not sure how soon after uploading you're examining your images - but it may be true that if you examine them before the thumbnails are completed (which, for a large gallery, can take an hour or more) you are seeing an upsized version of the thumbnail, rather than your finished image.

However - two other things are more likely:

First, be sure you sharpen images specifically for the size at which you want them to be viewed. Quick shortcuts like "save for web" do a fairly good job, but they're imprecise. If you want people to see an image at its Original size in pbase, resize it in your image editor (PS, PSE, LR, Corel, etc) to a very specific dimension *before* final sharpening. So - for example, resize to 1500 pixels transversely, and *then* sharpen so the image looks correctly sharpened.

Second - and I've been guilty of this mistake too - check to be sure that the problem isn't your monitor settings. I usually run my monitor at 125% magnification. That sometimes makes images look a bit soft. If I use 100% mag on the monitor, images look much batter.

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY

chucklantz

Re: Photo sharpness question

Post Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:16 am

Bill: Thanks for the reply. Both of your suggestions apply to my sharpening problem, and in both cases I should know better! I always do any sharpening as a last step in post-processing, or at least I thought I was until I read your comment and realized that I wasn't taking into account the resizing that PBase automatically does to what they call "original" size. I'll modify my sizing from now on.

Besides that, I always have my monitor set at 125%, and I didn't even consider that it would effect how my photos appear in Corel.

Anyway, thanks again!

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Photo sharpness question