Board index PBase Questions and Answers Copyright Statement

Questions and Answers

Copyright Statement

Ask if you need help using PBase.
tombriggs

Copyright Statement

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:49 pm

On all my galleries there's a statement that 'all photos are copyrighted, etc, etc, etc" ... how do I remove that???

dw_thomas

Re: Copyright Statement

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:19 pm

Under your Profile, click 'Edit your account settings' (toward the upper left), click the 'Appearances' link and you will get a box that has at the top: 'Copyright statement'. The content of that appears to be the default that shows up. When you edit an individual gallery, under the 'Gallery details' tab there is a similar slot. Presumably if that is cleared, your message will go away. (I have to admit I don't use it!)

DaveT

tombriggs

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:11 pm

Thanx, Dave ... much appreciated

tombriggs

Post Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:18 pm

Dave, didn't work (maybe it's me) ,,, when I get to the box entitled 'copyright statement', it's blank. Any ideas?

mardoli

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:03 am

I think, Tom–but I might be totally wrong–that it didn't work for you because you followed only the second alternative Dave suggested you,
that is you tried to edit a single gallery to cancel the copyright statement.

If you try to do what Dave suggested directly from your profile page it should work.

So as Dave rightly stated, go to your profile page, click on ‘edit your account settings’ and then ‘appearances’, make the case of ‘Copyright statement’ blank
then don’t forget to validate the change by clicking the ‘ update’ bottom at the end.

I hope all will be fine.
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

dw_thomas

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:01 pm

Thanks Marisa! As I warned above, I have not actually tried to use that feature, so I may have misinterpreted how it works (or is intended to work!) At least I ferreted out the locations of the "controls." I'd think it ought to be selectable gallery by gallery, but maybe that is done by leaving the primary account blank and putting a line in the individual gallery. And then, possibly that particular feature is having a bad month as seems to happen around here all too often! :oops:

(I guess I could experiment a little, but I've been a bit busy.)

DaveT

tombriggs

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:52 pm

Thanx but doesn't work ... the copyright box on my profile page is blank. How can that be when on each of my photos there's a copyright statement???

tombriggs

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:03 pm

getting closer ... went to EDIT ROOT GALLERY ... then to ADVANCED ... and, voila, there it was. I then deleted the copyright statement, clicked on the update button, and thought I was done. But, the copyright statement STILL shows on each and every photo. Drives me nuts ...

dw_thomas

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:01 pm

Oy!

The help pages show:
*Account Settings*

Copyright Statement
Technically, all images are automatically copyrighted by the photographer. If you would like a specific copyright message to be displayed at the bottom of the image screen, you can enter it here. This same message will display for all of your images. You can override this copyright statement at the gallery level using the advanced gallery settings.

Which implies it works as I suggested in my previous post. The (former) engineer in me wants to test my theory, but if things are in fact, screwed up, I'd hate to subject myself to possibly wading through 547 galleries to change something after I mess it up!

According to my dubious theory, making a change from Edit Root gallery should only affect images in the root gallery -- or perhaps in a new sub-gallery created after the change. I've noted that some things (number of thumbnail columns is one) are inherited by the "child" gallery at the time of its creation; but they can be overridden by editing 'Gallery details' in the new child gallery.

(This is part of a PBase anti-Alzheimers program designed to exercise our brains with puzzles! :mrgreen: )
DaveT

tombriggs

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:19 pm

Dave, I surrender ... I even posted a new photo just to see whether, perhaps, the copyright statement would not appear on new entries but (you guessed it), the damn thing is still there on the new image.

dw_thomas

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:22 pm

Hmm -- I'm assuming you've clicked the 'Update' button after a change. Have you tried logging out after making a change and then logging in again? (That's one of the 21st century equivalents of smacking it with a two-by-four.) I base that on the weird possibility that certain changes might not get pulled in except during login. (Unlikely, but we're dealing with mysteries here.)

Have you emailed support@pbase.com? It sounds to me as though maybe there is a problem and they are perhaps unaware of it. I'm actually surprised so few have jumped in on this thread.

DaveT

tombriggs

Post Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:55 pm

Will do, Dave, and will let you know what they say ... thanx, Tom

amoxtli

Post Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:15 pm

Hello,

The way you remove, or rather used to remove, the copyright statement is by going to your profile page and then go to "edit your account settings" and from there to "Appearance". You should then be able to make the box "Copyright Statement" blank and hit update. This should remove the statement from all images in your galleries. However it would not let me do this when I tried, so you need to contact customer support and tell them the problem. Curiously it let me edit the statement, but it will not accept a blank value. I suppose you could fill in "Hi there" which I tried and it accepted it, or whatever else you choose.

Out of curiosity, why does the copyright statement bother you so much?

Good luck and please post if you manage to get PBase to fix this.

Walter
Last edited by amoxtli on Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

dw_thomas

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:36 am

Walter, I think you left a "not" out of that line about letting you change it. I seem to remember at one time I had a problem getting the image editor to accept a blank title which I was able to circumvent at the time by typing in one space character. In more recent times it appears to happily accept a null line.

Brain exercise I tell ya! :shock:

DaveT

tombriggs

Post Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:06 pm

Walter, thanks for your input but the copyright box on my profile page IS empty ... under the EDIT ROOT GALLERY/ADVANCED, I deleted the copyright info that was there also ... so now that's blank as well ....................... but the copyright data remains.

In answer as to WHY I want to remove the copyright statement ... on occasion I'll place a photo that I've gotten from someone or somewhere and which is not mine. On each of those cases, under ARTIST I always placed UNKNOWN. Sooooo, I feel guilty about adding a copyright statement to a photo which is not mine.

Ideally, I would be able to delete that copyright info from just a specific photo.

Tom

PS: The Help Desk told me to do the same thing as you suggested and I'm about to tell them it doesn't work.

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Copyright Statement