Board index PBase Questions and Answers Memory occupied by a "copied" photo or gallery

Questions and Answers

Memory occupied by a "copied" photo or gallery

Ask if you need help using PBase.
tomsmithvaniz

Memory occupied by a "copied" photo or gallery

Post Fri May 23, 2014 10:03 am

When I "copy" a gallery or a photo into another gallery, does this action actually double the space used up on the server ? Or does it just create a link copy to a single photo file?

I am asking because my subscription only pays for a certain amount of space, and I have a LOT of photos. It's a bit much to manage at times, and because of thematic overlap, I often "copy" photos into multiple galleries, and sometimes I even "copy" entire galleries to other galleries which I might consider appropriate.

Is it "free" to "copy",or should I get in there and streamline my galleries in order to reduce my footprint on the server?

Thank you,

Tom SMITH

parpho

Re: Memory occupied by a "copied" photo or gallery

Post Fri May 23, 2014 12:38 pm

You can copy and it does just that but if you do a deletion it removes both copies. so, if you wish to be able to edit different galleries independently you will have to install an image twice. I recompress everything and that frees up a lot of space.
Cheers,
Michael

dw_thomas

Post Fri May 23, 2014 11:43 pm

I am pretty sure a copy just adds a link into the destination gallery info; that there are no extra copies of the actual photo file created. Part of the reason I believe that is that the caption shows the same in both galleries and if you change the caption in one, it affects the other. Actually you could check this by making a copy and cursoring over the thumbnail and checking the URL displayed for each copy (I think most browsers show that somewhere - it's at the lower left in Firefox). The image address has a sequence of numbers at the end that is the specific image.

As parpho suggests, I have uploaded a second copy of a file to a second gallery when I wanted different info in the caption.

tomsmithvaniz

Post Sun May 25, 2014 10:55 am

Aha, well I just tested it as you suggested, by checking the link ID, and you're right, it's the same.

I guess this means that when we click on the full-view of an image, it keeps memory of the gallery from which we viewed it first... OTherwise it could dump the viewer into a different gallery... Which would be pretty confusing.

Thanks,

dw_thomas

Post Sun May 25, 2014 4:43 pm

tomsmithvaniz wrote:Aha, well I just tested it as you suggested, by checking the link ID, and you're right, it's the same.

I guess this means that when we click on the full-view of an image, it keeps memory of the gallery from which we viewed it first... OTherwise it could dump the viewer into a different gallery... Which would be pretty confusing.

Thanks,

Ah yes the traversal of linked lists! Actually, I've experienced that altered return at the gallery level (although not consistently) but not at the image level. (I just tried a sequence where I think I've seen it and it worked OK -- maybe it's been fixed!)

Some days it seems stuff is getting so complex it's amazing it ever works; perhaps we should be surprised and rejoice that it mostly works! :mrgreen:

DaveT

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Memory occupied by a "copied" photo or gallery