Board index PBase Questions and Answers Unusual amount of hits on selected older images

Questions and Answers

Unusual amount of hits on selected older images

Ask if you need help using PBase.
fshopper

Unusual amount of hits on selected older images

Post Wed May 14, 2014 6:25 am

I don't know what is happening but it seems like something funny is going on. Certain of my images are selectively getting unusually huge amount of pages views at a time. Some are older images that haven't been too popular for years. Some hits lasted for weeks and then out of the blue they stopped. Then onto other images. I have now 3 or 4 images that are getting the hits. I disabled direct-linking a few years ago and I have no clue on what's going on now. I'm not very active in pbase and I haven't posted for 3 months but the same thing is still happening. In light of a very popular Paris-based photographer closing his account due to theft of his images, should I be concerned as well? Mike K

dw_thomas

Re: Unusual amount of hits on selected older images

Post Wed May 14, 2014 1:17 pm

Have to admit I'm seeing similar behavior. I've seen it previously, but not as severe as the last few days -- 60 to 90 hits on a single image. In bygone times I would see one day that was way above normal, as in 2 or 3x. This appeared approximately monthly and I assumed was some sort of search bot. The first few times this cluster of high hits for several days occurred I thought perhaps the same bot had been modified to be a little less enthusiastic and distribute its work over several days. Now it looks to me as if maybe the first picture in a gallery is getting hit a lot. It still seems to be approximately a monthly thing.

This is pretty far-fetched, but knowing the state of the world today, I can picture some not-too-bright dude writing code that uses the first picture in a gallery as a reference point and for some reason accesses it before each look at other pictures in the gallery; e.g., treating it like a memory location as it scans through. As far as I know, there's basically no way to stop -- or even determine the difference -- between accesses, viewed from the server. As I see it, if I put it out there, it's "fair" game. That's why I keep the images to a modest size and resolution. That still won't prevent anything, but I'm unlikely to see one on a billboard!

fshopper

Post Thu May 15, 2014 2:00 am

In my case it doesn't seem like it's a BOT crawling, if it is, the poor thing must have gotten stuck. It runs daily and continuously. In the beginning, I'd get hits everyday on 2 images for months, usually less than 5/day. BTW, I don't think those images are anything extraordinary, definitely not sexy images. Now, it's spreading to other images, and the daily hits have also spiked. I suspect someone is using those images in their blogs or forums, but direct-linking is supposed to be disabled. Is it possible for someone to bypass such control and still direct-link? I don't know if I should feel stroked or ripped off. Anyone else noticed such activities going on in his/her account?

dw_thomas

Post Thu May 15, 2014 4:00 am

For the two cents it may be worth, I just tried linking one of the photos in your day2_snapshots gallery as an image in a piece of test code, and in the browser command line. Both cases got me a white box with "Direct linking denied," so it appears a) the server can tell, and b) your protection is working.

I wonder if the management is tinkering, it seems there's always "something going on" and this whole count business has always been a little mysterious.

It would be interesting to know if anyone using one of the third party hit counters is seeing similar patterns.

{Cue Twilight Zone theme ...]

DaveT

gillk

Post Sat May 24, 2014 6:08 am

I've been encountering funny things happening. One gallery "Over the Sea to Sky" has been getting, in some cases, around 100 hits a day, but not too many hits on the contents of that gallery. Then in my "Flowers" gallery, one shot, nothing special, has had over 1,200 hits, and I had a Guest comment "Photo Shop" three times on the same shot (Blue Petunias).
I wonder if management reads these Questions - it would be nice to hear what they think.
GillK

reimar

Post Sat May 24, 2014 9:46 pm

I use Statcounter to see where hits are coming from. I find that some sites like "Stumbleupon" has people highlighting one of your images. Then all kinds of other people link in to take a look and suddenly your hits hit the roof.

I have a related question. Ever since May 8, 2014, by page views have about tripled. I used to get about 500 per day averaged, and since then I now get about 1600 averaged. Did stats collection methods change that day, or am I suddenly three times as popular :-) ?

fshopper

Post Sun May 25, 2014 5:35 am

I'm relieved to learn that others are experiencing the same, and thanks Dave T for attempting to direct-link to my images. What Reimar pointed out makes sense to me now. And thanks to all for responding!
Mike K

peterkwok

PBase statistic much higher count than StatCounter

Post Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:48 pm

From May 8 to today (June 2), I am getting 2000 to 8000 hits per day according to the statistic provided by PBase, almost all of them on selected old travel photos. However, StatCounter still shows daily range between 200 & 300 hits per day. Is PBase counting extras or whoever scans our images is blocking StatCounter? I think StatCounter cannot count direct link.
Is someone using our images to sell vacation packages?

dw_thomas

Post Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:00 pm

Is someone using our images to sell vacation packages?

In my case, the unusually high number of hits have frequently appeared on camera gear pages and ceramics related pages, Maybe folks are supposed to take lots of pictures when they travel to ceramics workshops. :D

'Tis a mystery to me.

DaveT

briankarlwerner

Post Sat Jun 07, 2014 4:41 pm

I see the same problem and came to the forum to specifically to see if anyone else was having the same strange hit values. Also when I go the the statistics page all my images list an UPLOAD DATE as the Current Date? Is that normal?
Thanks for starting this thread I'm glad to see it is not just my sight!
Maybe an administrator could look into it!

Thanks again,
Brian
Last edited by briankarlwerner on Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gillk

Post Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:14 am

I'm still getting a lot of hits on one gallery - and what is strange nothing abnormal on the content of that gallery. I'm guessing the counter system has gone haywire.

briankarlwerner

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:12 pm

When I go the the statistics page all my images list an UPLOAD DATE as Todays Current Date? Is that normal?

dw_thomas

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 7:40 pm

When I go the the statistics page all my images list an UPLOAD DATE as Todays Current Date? Is that normal?

Hmmm -- I don't see anything about an "upload date" -- not sure what you're seeing. (But then this place can be full of mysteries! :roll: )

There were a couple of days this past week where I thought things were back to normal, but it's been crazy again so far this week.

DaveT

briankarlwerner

Post Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:14 pm

Sorry about the Confusion! First I go to PROFILE then VIEW FULL STATISTICS then I select one of that days viewed images. At the top is a box with Page views for that image. The last line in this box says upload date. To me this should be read as the date that I uploaded the image, but it gives me todays date instead??
Maybe that is the way it is supposed to work but it seems odd!!

Brian

dougj

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:53 am

briankarlwerner wrote:Sorry about the Confusion! First I go to PROFILE then VIEW FULL STATISTICS then I select one of that days viewed images. At the top is a box with Page views for that image. The last line in this box says upload date. To me this should be read as the date that I uploaded the image, but it gives me todays date instead??
Maybe that is the way it is supposed to work but it seems odd!!

Brian

Looks like it's labeled incorrectly, it appears to be today's date.

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Unusual amount of hits on selected older images