Board index PBase Questions and Answers Unusual amount of hits on selected older images

Questions and Answers

Unusual amount of hits on selected older images

Ask if you need help using PBase.
dw_thomas

Re: Unusual amount of hits on selected older images

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:50 am

Whoops! Yup now I understand. Seems like it shouldn't be a mislabel, as in the heading section of the box it has "Page views of your image "blah blah blah" as of Thu Jun 19 2014" so there should be no need to display today's date down below. Maybe the script or whatever is pulling the other date from the wrong location.

Scariest part to me is that maybe it's always done that, as I have no conscious recollection of having noticed it before! :oops:

(Maybe it's the approaching summer solstice!)

DaveT
Last edited by dw_thomas on Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

dougj

Post Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:57 am

I suspect you're right Dave, it's probably been there since PBase changed the statistics a while back (maybe a couple of years ago?) and wasn't noticed & posted until Brian was looking at his statistics. I hadn't looked at this, but the posts piqued my interest. Might be just another small quirk :wink:

isolaverde

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:14 pm

Are other members now starting to receive odd messages/comments in the galleries, or on the images, where those high hits have been registering?

Mine began to arrive today - perhaps two dozen or so thus far - all with one of two different gmail addresses as the poster's name - however, rather bizarrely, they're being posted as "Private" - rather than publicly viewable!

Peter

mairead

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:00 pm

Me too - had about half a dozen today, again with different gmail addresses.

isolaverde

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:35 pm

Turning "Comments" off seems to have stopped it for now - but hardly an answer?

Peter

dw_thomas

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:52 pm

Indeed, so far I've received two dozen or so, all shown as either "dkbtsm" or "etcxddhwa" at gmail.com but there seems to be a pipe ("|") followed by a URL, all different, and many appearing to be some sort of user address. I strongly suggest not clicking on the email address! The comments are all different, quite coherent English, but seemingly random snippets from Zeus knows where.

I'm a fairly pacifist-leaning liberal sort of guy, but there are certain things for which I could entertain summary execution, and screwing around messing with other people's space on the Internet is one of them! :twisted:

So far, all of mine seem to be on galleries, not individual images. One might wonder if the runaway hits of the past month or two were test runs before whoever it is got their 'add comment' script working! (Unh, sorry I thought of that!)

DaveT

scifi_nut

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 3:19 pm

dw_thomas wrote:Indeed, so far I've received two dozen or so, all shown as either "dkbtsm" or "etcxddhwa" at gmail.com but there seems to be a pipe ("|") followed by a URL, all different, and many appearing to be some sort of user address. I strongly suggest not clicking on the email address! The comments are all different, quite coherent English, but seemingly random snippets from Zeus knows where.

I'm a fairly pacifist-leaning liberal sort of guy, but there are certain things for which I could entertain summary execution, and screwing around messing with other people's space on the Internet is one of them! :twisted:

So far, all of mine seem to be on galleries, not individual images. One might wonder if the runaway hits of the past month or two were test runs before whoever it is got their 'add comment' script working! (Unh, sorry I thought of that!)

DaveT

I came in the forum looking to see if this dkbtsm spam was being seen by others, and stumbled in here - I've noticed the same with regards to unusual popularity. Some of the "popular" images are things I wouldn't expect most people to want to view.

So far, only one instance of the spam from dkbtsm, and it was on a gallery page as well.

isolaverde

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:09 pm

Yes, on looking more closely (something I'd not initially been inclined to do!!!), I see that all the comments I've received have actually been posted on galleries, rather than to individual images... though all as "private" ones.

Peter

mardoli

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:44 pm

I have just found dozens and dozens of those bizarre private comments too. They appear to come all from "dkbtsm" or "etcxddhwa" at gmail.com.
Since I cannot waste time to delete all of them one after the other, I have temporarily disabled the comments for all my galleries.
Any other possible suggestions?
I really cannot understand the purpose of that mess, since the absurd comments are posted in a private mode.

Is there a spam program doing that systematically in all galleries or what?
I cannot imagine that a real human being can do it directly; it would take hours and then for what?
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

amoxtli

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:13 pm

mardoli wrote:I have just found dozens and dozens of those bizarre private comments too. They appear to come all from "dkbtsm" or "etcxddhwa" at gmail.com.
Since I cannot waste time to delete all of them one after the other, I have temporarily disabled the comments for all my galleries.
Any other possible suggestions?
I really cannot understand the purpose of that mess, since the absurd comments are posted in a private mode.

Is there a spam program doing that systematically in all galleries or what?
I cannot imagine that a real human being can do it directly; it would take hours and then for what?

Hi Marisa,

It's spam. I received a lot of these as well. As the messages don't seem to come from a PBase account holder why not disable comments from the general public only, but allow it for PBasers. It's one of the options in account settings. Unfortunately these things happen from time to time.

Best Regards,

Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

johnnyjag

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:15 pm

Seems like it's catching, I've just received seven comments similar to those described, are the management investigating?
Until I hear that something is being done to stop it I'll be disabling comments.

scifi_nut

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 5:25 pm

I disabled comments for anyone except paid pbase accounts for now.

briankarlwerner

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:08 pm

Got a comment today SPAM !!! This also was a comment on one of my pictures that has received high level of hits.
Last edited by briankarlwerner on Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

briankarlwerner

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:15 pm

Got a comment today SPAM !!! This also was a comment on one of my pictures that has received high level of hits. See the spam comments thread, I'm posting this there too. Not to happy with Pbase at The Moment!

Is it possible to use images on pbase to send spam??

mardoli

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:14 pm

amoxtli wrote:
Hi Marisa,

It's spam. I received a lot of these as well. As the messages don't seem to come from a PBase account holder why not disable comments from the general public only, but allow it for PBasers. It's one of the options in account settings. Unfortunately these things happen from time to time.

Best Regards,

Walter

Thank you, Walter.
Unfortunately I have not been able to spend time on PBase lately, since I have been absorbed in other projects.
So when I checked my dashboard after a few days I found all those bizarre comments and I deleted them, one after the other ( very time consuming and annoying)
then I disabled the comments.
But you are quite right, I had not thought to do as you suggested. Now I did
But I have just read in another thread that PBase management is aware of the problem and they blocked the spamming email addresses.
So I hope all will be fine.
Thank you again for your suggestion
Marisa
ImageImage
"Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing."
~Oscar Wilde~

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Unusual amount of hits on selected older images