Board index PBase Questions and Answers Need to Download ALL of My Pictures

Questions and Answers

Need to Download ALL of My Pictures

Ask if you need help using PBase.
monicakm

Need to Download ALL of My Pictures

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 1:19 am

I've been a member since 2002 but have decided not to renew my subscription this year. I just logged onto my profile page for the first time in many months to find that my subscription has expired and my photos will be deleted soon. I didn't get the usual re-subscribe notice and I have no idea how long I have till my photos are removed from pbase. Would someone please tell me how to download them in the quickest way possible (not one at a time)? I'm sure I have most of them saved on hdds or CDs but just in case, I'd like to just download them all.
Thanks

dw_thomas

Re: Need to Download ALL of My Pictures

Post Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 pm

I believe there was a way at one time, but it seems to have fallen into disrepair.

There are two threads further down this forum related to it.
http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=42967
http://form.pbase.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9489&start=45

I would suggest creating an empty directory structure on your machine that matches your PBase gallery tree, then walk through doing a bunch of right click/save as operations. You have quite a few shots but no where near as many as some of us. Doing it the hard way might be faster than going through an attempt to get a working app.

I actually start from such a tree on my local machine so my resized files are in a "PBase_archives" directory. I finally added html files to allow me to view the hierarchy and the pictures, though I don't have any next image functions. But it assures me I have a complete backup of my PBase images. (After the big crash a few years back, I put my caption info into an html comment field for each image so I wouldn't have to re-research some of the more obscure stuff I've dug up for that back when.)

monicakm

Post Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:46 pm

dw thomas, from what I've read the older posts (4+ years), that no longer works. I emailed pbase and was told because my acct is past due, they can't offer me a their backup file :o Right! :roll:
I'm hoping to change their mind. I've paid this company hundreds over the years.
It sounds like your suggestion is still one that requires each picture to be downloaded one at a time, right?
Anyone else, please??

kstuebin

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:06 pm

I found this link from Google. I know nothing about it but it is Arjun who wrote the original download tool. It also has some other options like exporting to SmugMug.

http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=223628

dw_thomas

Post Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:21 pm

This is one of the downsides of the wacky wonderful world of computers. For a third party to write a program to do this sort of thing requires some sort of 'reverse engineering' of the site to come up with a way to parse through the content. If some relatively trivial change occurs in the course of time, the utility no longer works. in the recent cases, some of the problem appears to be Windows 7 also. I know when I went from Win2K to Win7 here, I spent more on updating software than I spent on the computer.

All in all, I suspect it might be easier to dredge through and download the images one at a time than scramble to come up with a magic solution. Not to mention a one year subscription at $23 could stave off any concern about deletions. If I was in PBase's shoes I would probably argue they were offering display facilities to users, not offsite backup. I suppose they could have some sort of script to aggregate all of one user's files, but from what I see, there are not individual user directories for image files. (I think) the images are all in a flat array, each named by a number. There's then a database that indexes those files and associates them with a given user and gallery. As such there would be no single place Pbase could go and just simply copy a bunch of nested directories and say here's your backup. (And that's why I maintain my own backup!)

DaveT

ckuhn55

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:38 am

Ok it's March 2015, How do I back up my pictures on PBASE. Long time member, and will remain.
Chuck Kuhn

jrandyh

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:07 pm

I think they are going under. I haven't been able to upload my pics with the PB uploader for days. Have been with them since the 90's not hood. I have thousand of pics.
JR

Their help email returns mail. Maybe slug croaked.

richo

Post Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:14 pm

ckuhn55 wrote:Ok it's March 2015, How do I back up my pictures on PBASE. Long time member, and will remain.

I wrote a program many years ago to do just that, but not sure it will still work given pbase.com has changed a bit in those years. But I actually decided to go a different way than to backup what I had uploaded. I created a file structure on my local hard drive that matches my main galleries on pbase.com. So I backup that local file structure. With the exception of a few images from 2002-2003, I have all images uploaded here and on other sites already backed up several times with one copy secured offsite.

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Need to Download ALL of My Pictures