Board index PBase Questions and Answers Viewing on-line images on an android browser

Questions and Answers

Viewing on-line images on an android browser

Ask if you need help using PBase.
misterpixel

Viewing on-line images on an android browser

Post Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:37 pm

Using the web to display our images is convenient but an intense pain.

The long-term issue is the photographers inability to control the brightness of the viewer's display, which means we are shooting from the hip during image preparation. This is especially problematic if the image is moody and has significant gamma shift from the norm.

*** Disregarding that***... the biggest thorn in my side at the moment is how my images up on PBase are displaying on all Android devices.

A little background: Generally speaking, I upload images at 1350x900 pixels for a 3x2 aspect horizontal image, as it will display at 100% on a 1080P screen in a browser window and very comfortably if displayed 'full screen'. All 'original' size images display fine in both Chrome and IE on my XP and Win 7 computers, They display appropriately on Macs and also in vertical or horizontal mode on an iPhone and iPad.

However for some unknown reason to me, they DO NOT EVER DISPLAY PROPERLY on ANY Android device.

Here's what happens. The image ALWAYS scales to fit the width of the screen. Thus, it displays fine if the screen is in vertical mode but in a horizontal position, the top/bottom extends off screen and we see only a partial image. The image can't be pinched down but ironically can be 'pinched' UP in size even though its already being upscaled on most devices.

I've tried it on a number of android OS variants, on a Samsung Galaxy S4, Rooted Color Nook, Nook HD+, Asus Transformer, and Nexus 7 with a half dozen different browsers. They all act the same. The exact same image if stored on the tablet, displays fine with, lets say, Quick Pic. I don't seem to have this problem with all web images on other sites. At a guess I'd say that it has to be an Android Web browser issue. The core code in most android browsers is the same and the few exceptions are screwed up also.

I emailed PBase and received a quick response: "PBase send's the same html to every device, and the device then chooses how to display the images. So unfortunately this is an Android problem." This doesn't surprise me...but is there anything anyone can do about this?

peterkwok

Re: Viewing on-line images on an android browser

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:36 pm

I use Firefox as my default browser on my Galaxy S4 phone, because it allows me to sync my bookmark with my desktop.
I just tried. Google Chrome does not support pinch to fit. Firefox does. Its stops exactly at the width of a very large photo.
Perhaps, you should put a note on your pages recommending Firefox for visitors with Android devices.

Peter

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Viewing on-line images on an android browser