Board index PBase Questions and Answers unexplained increase in hit count

Questions and Answers

unexplained increase in hit count

Ask if you need help using PBase.
merigan

unexplained increase in hit count

Post Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:38 pm

As a long term supporter and contributor I am suddenly seeing 5-7X increase in hit counts for the last 8 days This is occurring without new postings, comments or other communication Should I be happy or concerned?

dw_thomas

Re: unexplained increase in hit count

Post Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Umm yes, I think I'm seeing more like 3x. I want to believe it's because people are off for the holidays or snowed in, but given other things are acting funny in the stats department, I suspect something weird is going on.

amoxtli

Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 3:27 pm

Maybe it's an early Christmas Present to you. :lol:

Seriously though, I have not seen a 5-7X increase in hit counts for the last 8 days.

Here are my observations on PBase stats. The stats for the "Aggregate daily page views for Walter O. Koenig as of Sun Dec 22 2013" and those on the profile page listed as "These pages have been viewed a total of 5192638 times. (view full statistics)" never match up. I had Sitemeter installed in the past and now use StatCounter and neither PBase tabulation has ever matched those statistics. In fact the PBase stats are always lower, and often much lower. Fluctuations are not unusual either, I have 1,768 listed for 4 December 2013 and 17,714 listed for 21 November 2013 in the "Aggregate daily page views".

As for discrepancy in hit count, let me give you an example for December 21. Aggregate daily page views lists 5,984, on my profile page the stats went up about 3,700 for that day and StatCounter lists 645 page views. A huge discrepancy.

Over the years I have read several discussions on the PBase stats. None have ever been able to clear up this subject, and there never was to my recollection any input from Management on the subject. It would be nice to learn which stats, if any, are accurate.

Regards, Walter
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

dw_thomas

Post Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:32 pm

One of many unanswered questions about the stats is whether the owner's hits are counted if the owner is logged in. Though utterly nothing in my life depends on my hit counts (other than warm fuzzies for a slightly OCD personality :lol: ), I started tracking some of the info after the big crash a few years back.

One of my observations is that the "sampling" of the aggregate hits is very loose on timing, and actually seems to grow later and later each day, as though it's about a 25 or 26 hour interval. When represented as a regularly timed result, that results in one day every so often getting no increase -- and perhaps the following day gets an apparent large count. The counts shown in the bar graph seem to be a bit more consistent in sample timing which means they don't correlate well with the aggregate.

Months back i used to see one really sky-high day about two or three days after the first of the month. I tended to assume that was some bot prowling for image URLs.

The total of hits in the bar graphs runs a bit above the profile page aggregate -- I might ascribe that to the owner's accesses being ignored for one and not the other. But alas, truth be told, I don't feel we have any detailed functional specification as to what the management thinks is supposed to happen. I guess that's one way to avoid being accused of faults! :mrgreen:

Ah well, it's more interesting to analyze and speculate about than most of the news from the wider world.

DaveT

paninic

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:05 pm

It's also strange for me...Normaly I've 100 > 300 visits for a day...and I see ( on statcounter ) that to day ( Thursday 26 december...) I 've from this morning till now ( ...it's 17h00 in France )...2963 visits on my Pbase count and this from... the same visitor ( netherlands )....Strange no?
and also 2 negative numbers of unread messages readind.....

Merry Xchrismas for every body!

paninic

Post Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:55 pm

...It's now 17h43....and 45mn after my precedent message...my day counter is now 3451 visits ( a visit all one or three seconds..) always from the same visitor...??? what are you thinking of that?

paninic

Post Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:45 am

It's seems OK now....My "fan visitor is gone" ...after a little more of 4000 visits yesterday....it's my " Pbase personnal visits world's record..." :)

fishit

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:51 pm

It seems Google bot as well as other search engines are doing a deep crawl for the new year. It is not that uncommon.
Could this be what you are seeing as the spike? Did you check other site tracking services to see source?

mikelong

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:43 pm

I think they should give us an extra 100,000 hits, for the New Year

dw_thomas

Post Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:12 pm

mikelong wrote:I think they should give us an extra 100,000 hits, for the New Year

My average hits per month for 2013 were a hair under 47,000. The month of December shows over 77,000 and during the month I added very little that would appear in updates and such.

DaveT

amoxtli

Post Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:30 pm

mikelong wrote:I think they should give us an extra 100,000 hits, for the New Year

Right on Mike! Happy New Year! :lol:
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

artichoke

possible explanation for increases in hits

Post Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:18 pm

its the NSA :wink:
I am amazed at how quickly some images get hits
I put up some photographs from a burlesque show & as I was rearranging the order of my gallery, one had gotten 10 hits ...literally within minutes of my posting it
no question that some foks follow sites carefully, as the images that consistently get the most hits on my site involve nudity
sex sells

Board index PBase Questions and Answers unexplained increase in hit count