Board index PBase Questions and Answers Farewell

Questions and Answers

Farewell

Ask if you need help using PBase.
amoxtli

Re: Farewell

Post Sun May 26, 2013 8:12 pm

septembermorn wrote:I have made many friends from all over the world at PBase and many of them will be lifelong friends, some travelling from Poland to Louisiana to meet. I like PBase specifically because it has stayed the same. I only wish the POPULAR GALLERIES OF 2010 HAD stayed the same. I do not like it now.

I agree with you regarding the friends. I have met easily over 100 PBasers over the years.

I am curious about why you don't like the "Popular Galleries Page". Can you elaborate on that, I am curious to know. Thanks!
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

karenmickleson

Post Thu May 30, 2013 3:06 am

orogeny wrote:I really like the layout of pbase, but I don't like the lack of response to requests for features. Little things like being able to upload directly from Lightroom. That feature makes using Flickr so easy versus having to manually convert a raw image as a jpg and manually uploading to pbase. Not only is Flickr easier, it is much faster.

I also don't like the size limit. Flickr is now giving 1 TB storage for free while we are paying $23/year for 1 GB. That is something I really don't understand.

I renewed my subscription this year, but this may be the last time. I don't look forward to closing my account. I have had a subscription since 2003.

Tim

I too am an old timer here and was just discussing with another pbase old timer friend over lunch our dread that pbase will close or sell, which would be a disaster for both of us aging retired non-teckie women. We both hate the other options, which are all corporate and huge.

When I was getting acquainted with Lightroom, I made a minor mistake trying to use Flickr temporarily for a small gallery to experiment with. Flickr went crazy and tried to take over all the photos on my HD and external HD. It was a horrid mess which Flickr made very hard for me to undo.

Yes, it would be more convenient to be able to upload from LR directly. However, LR doesn't have a provision for a 'holding place', a temporary storage folder, from which you can easily upload. $2 a month is not enough to cause me to go through all the aggravation involved in putting up with all the tricks these big companies have to keep you tied to them and their advertising income. I don't mind creating a compressible folder on my Mac which I can easily find and open in Photoshop for last minute tweaks if I want to before uploading to a new pbase gallery.

I like the capacity for sub-galleries here and that you can design your own sites with CSS. Maybe for those who just want a place to send people a link to see their recent snaps, Flickr's fine. My photos are a creative hobby and I care how they present. The 'latest' graphic styles--this new thing for a gazillion thumbnails helter-skelter on a page for those so hurried they don't want to pause and view one photo for a few precious seconds, comes to mind--leave me cold.

Unlike the Verizon or AT&T ad on TV with the little kids exuberating that 'fast is better' or 'more is better', to me, slow is just fine.

fishit

Post Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:47 pm

Don't Let The Door Hit You In The Ass On The Way Out.

arobert wrote:PBase was a great concept -- a no-ads, no-frills site by and for photo buffs. However it has failed to evolve much beyond its birth. Indeed the site is almost identical to when I signed up in 2006 -- a 7-year period that saw the AJAX revolution and a new standard in interactive web sites. I've never felt that the Flickr's and Picasa's of the world had the same spirit and unclutteredness as PBase, but the ease-of-use and aesthetics of these sites has now left it far behind. Good luck to all.

danpolley

Post Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:46 pm

fishit wrote:Don't Let The Door Hit You In The Ass On The Way Out.

arobert wrote:PBase was a great concept -- a no-ads, no-frills site by and for photo buffs. However it has failed to evolve much beyond its birth. Indeed the site is almost identical to when I signed up in 2006 -- a 7-year period that saw the AJAX revolution and a new standard in interactive web sites. I've never felt that the Flickr's and Picasa's of the world had the same spirit and unclutteredness as PBase, but the ease-of-use and aesthetics of these sites has now left it far behind. Good luck to all.

As bad as Pbase management is, many of us long timers still like the site. We do complain we do express our frustrations but we try to not be like you.

aorimages

Post Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:53 am

kstuebin wrote:I have to amend my comment in another thread about how Pbase could look a little more modern. No!!! I just logged onto Flickr. I am now a proud Pbase luddite. Flickr is hideous and totally nonfunctional now. There are over 40 pages of "I hate the new Flickr" on their forum in 24 hours. Don't change Pbase. But fix the problems. And get ready for a large influx of disgruntled Flickr users because people are threatening to close their accounts and find another site.

Here Here, I post a few pics on Flickr due to the club I am in and their site is a mess.I agrre totally with the above comments.Please PBASE don't attempt what they have done.PBASE is good overall :D

chicagolarry

Post Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:04 pm

I have a lot more respect for arobert's post ("Farewell") than some of the snide put-downs of what he had to say.

I see no problem with people calmly and informatively stating why they prefer something different. I appreciate the input, the feedback, the opinion.

Seems some people on here are married to one site or another to the same extent people are married to their chosen religion—and very defensive.

I saw nothing wrong with the farewell announcement and do not respect responses that basically say "And don't let the door hit your behind on the way out; good riddance."

Let's try to be more objective than defensive. And kinder.

amoxtli

Post Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:52 pm

chicagolarry wrote:I have a lot more respect for arobert's post ("Farewell") than some of the snide put-downs of what he had to say.

I see no problem with people calmly and informatively stating why they prefer something different. I appreciate the input, the feedback, the opinion.

Seems some people on here are married to one site or another to the same extent people are married to their chosen religion—and very defensive.

I saw nothing wrong with the farewell announcement and do not respect responses that basically say "And don't let the door hit your behind on the way out; good riddance."

Thank you. Well put. I agree with you.

fishit

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:24 pm

chicagolarry wrote:I have a lot more respect for arobert's post ("Farewell") than some of the snide put-downs of what he had to say.

I do not agree with you or Walter. I am not married to any one site. I can see your point of view. But if you are no longer happy with a site like this or other photo sites why do you feel that the person who chooses to leave has to make a statement of all the things they dislike about a site in a open forum when their intention is to leave?

If the person disliked the site why not just let the site owner know via a private message and quietly exit. Perhaps just a message in the forum that you are leaving as to let friends know that you will no longer be posting here? I find nothing constructive with the details about the persons likes or dislikes of a site when they chose to no longer be active on a website.

I will refrain from telling people about the door but I can not recall saying good riddance. If I have in the past, my apologies. I did not do it in this case. I am not being defensive, or unkind, I am just stating my feelings. I am sorry if others have felt defensive by my remarks. Kindness is a two way street.

ac

Post Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:38 pm

To chicagolarry and amoxtli

Can't agree more with you.
We have the right to have our own ideas, and to communicate them, even publicly if not offensive.
We have the right to be listened with politeness and ,yes, KINDNESS Fishit.
"Don't Let The Door Hit You In The Ass On The Way Out" is choking, as well as "good riddance".

ac

amoxtli

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:33 am

fishit wrote:I do not agree with you or Walter. I am not married to any one site. I can see your point of view. But if you are no longer happy with a site like this or other photo sites why do you feel that the person who chooses to leave has to make a statement of all the things they dislike about a site in a open forum when their intention is to leave?

If the person disliked the site why not just let the site owner know via a private message and quietly exit. Perhaps just a message in the forum that you are leaving as to let friends know that you will no longer be posting here? I find nothing constructive with the details about the persons likes or dislikes of a site when they chose to no longer be active on a website.

I will refrain from telling people about the door but I can not recall saying good riddance. If I have in the past, my apologies. I did not do it in this case. I am not being defensive, or unkind, I am just stating my feelings. I am sorry if others have felt defensive by my remarks. Kindness is a two way street.

If this is a forum where subscribers can state their views without being offensive or unreasonable, why can arobert not bid farewell to his fellow subscribers? His message was not out of line, all he stated was that he was leaving and he gave reasons why. If you find nothing constructive about this, then that is merely your opinion, but that does not mean he can not state his, and it certainly does not mean that other subscribers would not be interested in reading his message. As it is, the message sparked a burst of posts, some which were quite interesting.

fishit

Post Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:55 am

amoxtli wrote: If you find nothing constructive about this, then that is merely your opinion, but that does not mean he can not state his, and it certainly does not mean that other subscribers would not be interested in reading his message.

Walter I just do not feel it was as constructive as you and others have, I will refrain from commenting further on like type posts.
I suppose we will have agree to disagree.

sheila

Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:10 am

It has been a long time since I posted anything on the forum but here goes. I would be at a loss without this site. I have been a member since 2002 and little has really changed in that time... and that is fine with me! We could do with more style sheets and a more responses from Emily and Slug regarding problems but all in all, it works for me. Unlike Flickr (where I also have my work), you can almost add anything to your sites. StatCounters for example which gives me a lot more detail than the PBase counter. Slug does not give a toss if you use e-commerce on this site which one cannot do with Flickr without feeling the wrath of Yahoo. I can link my images on PBase to my e-commerce site (Photodeck) http://sheilasmart.photodeck.com/. Without the ability to do this, my Photodeck site would not get the hits it does. I have a high Google ranking because of PBase as it picks up descriptions, titles and even comments. I can also link my FAA images and use the FAA widget. You can move galleries around, create sub-galleries and change style sheets at a blink of an eye ... all for 23 bucks a year.

Because of the amount of images I have, I am happy to pay $46 per year which is cheap as chips and has not be raised in the 11 years I have been a member.

Sheila
Sheila Smart
Canon 5D Mark III; 17-40L; 24-70 f/2.8L; 70-300 f.4-5.6 L USM; 135 f/2L; 100 f/2.8 macro; 8-15 f/4 L fisheye

Blog: http://sheilasmartphotography.blogspot.com/

madlights

Post Tue Jul 30, 2013 4:22 pm

I haven't been posting much or been on my site much...'photoblock'. But...Still here.
Are we so overwhelmed by "new" whether in autos, washing machines, refrigerators, computers, cameras that we forget about the qualities of the "old"? That we as people 'can' control what we ourselves do? Instead of having something or some corporate idea someone has, take over the qualities that make us human, or our abilities to add our own input (sometimes learning required)? Whether it's in where we focus our camera and how, or how we adjust our lighting on a subject, or in the context our photos are displayed?
That's what I have always really, really loved much about PBase...is the human quality it has...and the ability it gives us to express our own human qualities.

genghis45

Post Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:37 pm

Send a postcard.

barry_2718

Post Sun Aug 11, 2013 6:23 am

If it works, don't fix it. In the 6 odd years I've been here I've met sincere fellow photographers willing to help you and also to praise good photography. Pbase has evolved - we now have spell checking, slideshows, custom style sheets and a great forum moderated by willing volunteers!!! and the ease of use and consistency in the man-machine interface gets my vote. Try other mediums as you wish, but I think you'll miss this fraternity of photographers.

PreviousNext

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Farewell