Board index PBase Questions and Answers Accents in French language

Questions and Answers

Accents in French language

Ask if you need help using PBase.
sogen

Accents in French language

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:12 am

Any reason why the accents do not appear any more in French ?

dw_thomas

Re: Accents in French language

Post Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 pm

When I look at your galleries I see some -- any chance you've changed a browser setting for character sets at your end?

More detail might be useful. Are the characters part of a file name and being lost during upload? (That could be a PBase problem) Are characters you already had up and visible disappearing? Could you link to an example?

In general. there are lots of possibilities and trouble shooting is made easier when the question includes some detailed and specific information, perhaps enough to duplicate the problem, available to any would-be helper.

My 2¢

ac

Post Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:13 pm

True. Another PBase glitch !

dansudbury

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:15 am

When typing in french in a comment box we can see the accent like é ou à but once it is sent and then appears on the site accent are replace by sign check comment left by Dan The man here http://www.pbase.com/gege67/image/146592598 and please let me know what you think..

Thank you!

dansudbury@gmail.com

ac

Post Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you for your help, attention and response Emily.

bouletr

Post Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:09 pm

We also have the problem at the comment level.
However, everything is find for title or caption. Therefore, the problem is not from the source but from the way you treat comments.

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:17 pm

Is this something that has just started happening in the past week, or has it always been this way?

Thanks,
Emily

sogen

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Hello Emily,

This situation has started on or around the 10th of October 2012

bouletr

Post Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:48 pm

This is obviously recent and limited to text in the comments box.
From my image http://www.pbase.com/bouletr/image/146576989
I have the problem appearing between 14:46 and 22:27 on oct 9

mwhabib

Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:27 pm

I confirm.
no problems until october in all my french visitors comments but several ones with strange typo after the 15th (first french comments since I added new pics).
Marwan Habib

sogen

Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:14 pm

Emily, please help French speaking members who are struggling with this issue. Before October the tenth, everything was fine.

Again, I made a test: I write a word without the accents. The word is underscored in red meaning I made an error. I accentuate the word, the underscore disappears. I click "comment", and again I get stange typos in place of the accentuated letters. I realized that many French members, omit to accentuate their text because it is sometimes unreadable with all of those strange signs.

I am curious to know if this issue is happening in other languages that have accentuations .

Do we have to put up with this ?

amoxtli

Post Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:34 pm

This is also happening with Umlauts in German. It used to work fine, but now a "ü" Umlaut looks like this "fühlst"
Walter Otto Koenig Architectural Photography: http://www.wokoenig.net

General Photography: http://www.wokoenig.com

Pacific Photographic Society: http://www.pacificphoto.net

enjayel

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:49 am

It appears something has changed in the number of bits that are being used to display comments..
anything with an ascii character code over 127 in the standard character map (e.g., Alt-0128, €) seems to look fine while entering the comment in the box, but then when "add comment" button is selected, the characters change.

Can those of you on french/german keyboards confirm that it looks OK when you are typing the comment...

I see equivalent behaviour when the comment box is activated by link, or if the comment box is visible on the page.

detailed emails to support would probably help as well.. OS/Browser/keyboard, etc..
nancy

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Thanks for all of the details you have provided. We are working on fixing this issue asap.

Thanks,
Emily

emily
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:06 pm

We have fixed the problem with accented characters. New comments and old comments should all display correctly now. I checked all of the URLs mentioned here, and did not see any problems.

Thanks,
Emily

Next

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Accents in French language