Board index PBase Questions and Answers Statistics taking the long weekend off

Questions and Answers

Statistics taking the long weekend off

Ask if you need help using PBase.
akmc_in_au

Re: Statistics taking the long weekend off

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:53 pm

pinemikey wrote:I'm not sure about the hits before or after the crash, but I have noticed that both statcounter and Google Analytics have somehow had their access to the site restricted the last two days. I don't get no where as many hits as some here but I do average about 500 hits a day and those numbers more or less correspond to the Pbase stats, except on those huge search bot days where you can get triple the normal number of hits. The reason why I feel Pbase is doing something in the background and that is affecting the statcounter and Google Analytics scripts is that the Pbase aggregate stats, which seems to updated every two or three days now, reported the usual number of visits for the day that statcounter only showed something like 83.

I think you may be right. My numbers have fallen off the wall in the last couple of days and at first I thought, "meh, that's just my galleries"... then this morning I noticed a comment on yesterday's PAD which, according to StatCounter, has never been viewed by anyone.

pinemikey wrote:Just speculation on my part, however I wish whatever they were doing now would stop interfering with the statcounter and Google Analytics access to the website...as that would just about eliminate any reliable statistics for our galleries.

Damn straight. The only number I ever pay attention to with PBase stats is the "headline" number. (Even though I know that it's effectively meaningless, it's still of curiosity value to see the rate at which it's moving.) However the StatCounter value is the one that gives me useful information on what people do and don't like and THAT one I don't want PBase interfering with, if they indeed are.

merriwolf

Post Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:59 pm

pinemikey wrote:I'm not sure about the hits before or after the crash, but I have noticed that both statcounter and Google Analytics have somehow had their access to the site restricted the last two days...[snip]...The reason why I feel Pbase is doing something in the background and that is affecting the statcounter and Google Analytics scripts is that the Pbase aggregate stats, which seems to updated every two or three days now, reported the usual number of visits for the day that statcounter only showed something like 83.

Same here. Glad I'm not alone. Wonder what's going on now?

dtuason

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:45 am

merriwolf wrote:
pinemikey wrote:I'm not sure about the hits before or after the crash, but I have noticed that both statcounter and Google Analytics have somehow had their access to the site restricted the last two days...[snip]...The reason why I feel Pbase is doing something in the background and that is affecting the statcounter and Google Analytics scripts is that the Pbase aggregate stats, which seems to updated every two or three days now, reported the usual number of visits for the day that statcounter only showed something like 83.

Same here. Glad I'm not alone. Wonder what's going on now?

Same here too. I think the flagcounter was affected too...temporarily.

dsjtecserv

Post Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:22 am

Yeah, something must be going on. I came back from 6 days away to find that:

1) My total hitcount has gone DOWN by about 100. How does that happen?
2) The statistics for February 2 show 5 times as many hits as is typical for a day.
3) StatCounter shows exactly 1 hit for February 2.

Obviously the statistics system has had yet another hiccup. Dare we hope for any information from the Administrators?

Dave

akmc_in_au

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:00 am

akmc_in_au wrote:
pinemikey wrote:I'm not sure about the hits before or after the crash, but I have noticed that both statcounter and Google Analytics have somehow had their access to the site restricted the last two days. I don't get no where as many hits as some here but I do average about 500 hits a day and those numbers more or less correspond to the Pbase stats, except on those huge search bot days where you can get triple the normal number of hits. The reason why I feel Pbase is doing something in the background and that is affecting the statcounter and Google Analytics scripts is that the Pbase aggregate stats, which seems to updated every two or three days now, reported the usual number of visits for the day that statcounter only showed something like 83.

I think you may be right. My numbers have fallen off the wall in the last couple of days and at first I thought, "meh, that's just my galleries"... then this morning I noticed a comment on yesterday's PAD which, according to StatCounter, has never been viewed by anyone.

Just out of curiosity, how are everyone else's StatCounter numbers looking today? Mine are showing zero for the day, which I grant you isn't unprecedented... but it hasn't happened since I've started PADing. Just out of curiosity I looked at a couple of my images via my work network which, unlike my home connection isn't filtered out and which does normally register as a hit in StatCounter.

Nope, still showing as zero.

dougj

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:30 am

Yesterday was the lowest I've seen with Statcounter (476), today is higher but still well below average.

Edit: Google Analytics shows about the same.
Last edited by dougj on Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

birsay

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:07 am

My Statscounter hits have plummeted since the 2nd...down from a daily average of between 500-600 or so to 108, 101 and a low of 32 at 0700z today. I thought it was just me and my crap shots :lol:

Doug

alangrant

Post Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:58 pm

My Statcounter hits have also fallen to about a quarter of their average level.

Viewing my galleries and looking at the source code, it seems to me that the Statcounter code at the end of a page is frequently being omitted. I can't see any pattern in when this happens - I refreshed one particular page several times in a row, a few times the code appeared, a few times it didn't.
Alan
Travel Photos - http://www.pbase.com/alangrant
Balkanology: Explore Southeast Europe - http://www.balkanology.com/

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Statistics taking the long weekend off