Board index PBase Questions and Answers Jump in storage space usage

Questions and Answers

Jump in storage space usage

Ask if you need help using PBase.
madlights

Re: Jump in storage space usage

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:35 pm

asianodyssey wrote:The storage space usage stats on my profile page have just reverted back to the pre-breakdown level.

Well... for a while it said that my space usage was being recalculated, but now it's back at the same level again. 30-40mb (apprx) greater than my pre-crash level. Either the usage was incorrect before the crash - which may be a definite possibility...or it is inaccurate now- which may be a definite possibility. :wink: hmmm. Either way the natives may get restless if it's system wide. Especially if it puts some people over the top of a bracket. Not that it's much money at all...I wouldn't mind paying a bit more myself to add some redundancy or some features (like being able to sell photos, and some of the other features people have said they wanted) but it's going to bother some people who find it strange..that the statistics of usage are back and higher than pre crash levels...if indeed it remains the case.
I've found this whole thing very odd...and somewhat entertaining. I suppose it's not so entertaining if a person works for PBase. Maybe the giant Gerbil is hungry after all the work, so needs more food... :twisted: :wink:

amjones

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:12 pm

No secret.......I simply uploaded and deleted the originals but for some time there was never a change in the usage. In fact sometimes I uploaded and the storage used went down.....I believe the current figure is correct and will live with the extra cost. But is this something that might have been slowing down Pbase as a whole and others were getting a free ride and the servers were working a lot harder than they thought.?

I am not unhappy but maybe a little disappointed.....if not for the crash.... :-)

1designguy

Post Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:53 pm

Deleting originals. I've always set it to recompress originals instead of deleting them. Someone shared that setting the image to 800 pixels on the widest side keeps the image from going through a mandatory (and often quality destructive) compression. I do know that when I upload them this way, there are only small, medium and original sizes.

Thanks.

marcjosef

Post Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Pre-crash my usage was at 55mb. After, it jumped to 155mb. Now it's at 1,075mb. Currently looking at options elsewhere. Zenfolio's $40 unlimited is looking great.

knowledgeseeker

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 5:11 pm

This is clearly a bug -- I'm over the 500 MB threshold now, despite care in keeping my usage below it. The images use a certain number of bytes -- are we charged by rounding up each file to the next larger block size now? There was no announcement of this.

It is either accidental or sneaky --- since I prefer not to think ill of the hosts, I'll go with accidental --- but it should be fixed.

Storage costs are going down. PBase is far more expensive than other sites now, and no longer has a monopoly on aesthetics. File sizes are staying the same, except when one needs to post originals, in which case they are going up. My photo collection is growing.

Also, PBase does not seem to offer an API that allows automation for iPhones, etc. --- it is becoming relatively less convenient. As a relatively early adopter, and a long-time fan, I'm surprised to be writing this, but I'm wondering whether I should change to another hosting site.

madlights

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Maybe an administrator, or Slug, or Emily could answer if they would? Were the statistics of usage inaccurate before the crash? or are they inaccurate now? Think it would help some people figure out what is going on...since it seems everyone's are different now than before.

dougj

Post Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 pm

marcjosef wrote:Pre-crash my usage was at 55mb. After, it jumped to 155mb. Now it's at 1,075mb. Currently looking at options elsewhere. Zenfolio's $40 unlimited is looking great.

55MB to store 10,305 photos = 5.3KB/photo, this is about the same as a forum avatar. 104.3KB/photo is the average for 1,075MB, this is still a bit low, but might be your actual average. It appears there was an error in the 55MB calculation previously, assuming the number & size of the photos is about the same.

madlights

Post Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:09 pm

I'm starting to think it was inaccurate before the crash also. 10,000 photos is a lot to get into 55mb. :o Mine vary at from around 100k to 150k apiece and uploaded at 1000px wide. which is a little bigger than large size. Mine come out to about 315MB now which seems about right..Still thinking some public communication from PBase on this wouldn't hurt at this time...sure could avoid a lot of emails to them, asking for explanations.

marcjosef

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:25 pm

dougj wrote:
marcjosef wrote:Pre-crash my usage was at 55mb. After, it jumped to 155mb. Now it's at 1,075mb. Currently looking at options elsewhere. Zenfolio's $40 unlimited is looking great.

55MB to store 10,305 photos = 5.3KB/photo, this is about the same as a forum avatar. 104.3KB/photo is the average for 1,075MB, this is still a bit low, but might be your actual average. It appears there was an error in the 55MB calculation previously, assuming the number & size of the photos is about the same.

Then that means the pre-crash calculation was inaccurate and now it's correct. Zenfolio here I come.

marcjosef

Post Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:32 pm

mbaumser wrote:Considering the drops in HD storage and what other online galleries are charging, Wouldn't it just be easiest for Pbase to just give us all 1gb for the $23/year?

Zenfolio gives you 1gb for every year. I'd be up to around 5 gb for $25 if I had started with them.

marc

:shock: I was looking at that :?: I read that as 1gb of storage a year for $25. Is it really 1gb for every year you're a customer?

arshutterbug

Post Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:22 am

I am also having this problem. I mention it because my quota counter has increased about 600 MB to 5555 MB. :P How about fixing it by eliminating the quota system?

marcjosef

Post Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:30 pm

arshutterbug wrote:I am also having this problem. I mention it because my quota counter has increased about 600 MB to 5555 MB. :P How about fixing it by eliminating the quota system?

I just found out that Flickr charges $25 a year for unlimited storage/bandwidth.

Previous

Board index PBase Questions and Answers Jump in storage space usage